Brenton

Marble Dragon HMPK x Turquoise CT

Week 8 - CTPK F1

7 fry remain. All have ventrals :) I still have one darker fella and one lighter fella (although that is the smallest guy), and the rest look to be taking on mum's colouring.

Good photos are becoming harder to get - they don't stop...

DSC_00145.jpg

Pretty sure this is one of my males :D

Your photography skills are really coming along. From blurry fishroom pics to close up fry pics in ... a flash (boo boom).

Careful Razz...I can see that big hook sliding in behind you ;)

None of it would have been possible without your little tip to begin with - so feel free to take credit :)

Quite normal for the bigger ones to pick on the little ones. I caught one in the act once and took photos. They wouldn't have been much older than yours...

2-1.jpg

Sorry to hear you have had a further loss. When numbers are low, every one counts :(

Red-icon_zps058831a1.jpg

• Like 1

I'm thinking these guys need more space fairly soon, so I'm preparing a two-footer. So is netting the best way to move these guys now they are getting to the 2cm mark and beyond, or do I go with getting a container in there and moving them the way I do with the adult girls in the sorority (lower a container in and they tend to swim straight in).

It seems kind of obvious, but now I've only got seven left, I dont want to make any mistakes - kid gloves and all that :)

Ok - I'm guessing I'm being way over cautious here, but I'm still on my training wheels and have yet to remove the kid gloves...

I've removed all the females from my second sorority. It's a nicely cycled tank but the parameters are a little different to my fry current tank. I'm thinking on my next water change, I'll remove a third of the fry water, and replace with water from the intended new home...slowly get them accustomed to it...or am I over thinking things again? Or should I just scoop, and slowly add water from the new tank like I would for any other fish.

I have a 9-10cm BN in the intended grow out (he's lived there the entire time since back when it was a convict tank) - I'm under the assumption he's not going to worry about my growing F1 CTPK - he didn't show any interest in my Convict fry.

So, which way should I go?

Oh my God - just went back and finally saw your photo Jarrod - at work I can't see squat - that is an amazing shot!

And I forgot to add a week 9 update:

Not a big jump in growth this week. They need to be moved and they need to go onto Grindals and then bloodworms and pellets.

But, another week without losing any more is a good week (touch wood) :thumbs:

A couple of photos - Mr Big and Mr Runt for your viewing pleasure...

DSC_0034.jpgDSC_00402.jpg

1.9cm (almost called it 2...) 1.2cm (didn't really see any growth in this fella this week - maybe I measured wrong)

Edited by Brenton

Yeah - they'll all take on those colours - from mum :)

But marble and dragon tends to come in later so who knows what they'll end up ;)

Acclimate slowly, but by putting water into their spawn tank, or by moving them into a separate container, slowly adding water as if a new adult fish?

Or, do I just keep doing massive water changes to bring the parameters to the same level as the spawn tank?

Edited by Brenton

I'd move them into a container, float them in the new tank for 20-30mins, add some new water leave them for another 20-30mins, remove 50% of that water & replace with the new water & leave them another 20-30mins then put them into new tank. :)

The planned move of these guys is tomorrow - I know, very slow and over cautious and all that jazz, but that's me in many ways.

So over the last week or so, I've been slowly adding in more of the water they will be living in to their current fry tank to the point where they are now in 50/50 and still doing well. They are also now on pellets with the occasional treat of blood worm or shrimp.

DSC_00147.jpg

Some reds are now coming through on the colouring. Joep mentioned webbing reduction is quite common in developing fry so I'm going to hedge my bets on how I'm doing in that department. Some are looking quite promising but I guess we'll see.

DSC_00175.jpg

DSC_00162.jpg

Looking good Brenton. Well done for persisting through the early challenges with brine shrimp and keeping the fry alive.

Looking good they look like there getting some nice coverage colour wise :)

Hope the move goes well

how many have you got in the spawn currently?

Thanks guys - needed to persevere or I'd likely have thought I was cursed never to be able to get this right...

Only 7 left in this spawn although one fella looks like he has a slight swim bladder issue and cant maintain a horizontal plane when swimming. I've kept him alive so far but I think he'll be the candidate for a cull in the not too distant future...or he may make a pet for my daughter's room :)

They go into their bigger tank tonight - and then we'll see...

Maybe try some other food as well

Diet often helps with swim bladder issues as you know maybe some live brine shrimp will make his swim better ;)

Least yes not being a dolphin like one of our retards

Moved these little guys last night. They look so small in the bigger tank, and now I'm worried about them getting enough food. I'm hoping they'll learn soon enough where the food is coming from, but for last nights feed and again this morning, they were spread out all over the place.

A few have introduced themselves to the resident BN (he's now around the 10cm mark and dwarf's these guys).

I don't have live brine shrimp, only live BBS. I have frozen brine shrimp...they love the frozen blood worm so maybe I'll give the frozen brine shrimp a go as well...

The two biggest guys of these seven seem to be doing okay in the vast expanses of their new abode...the five other guys I'm not so sure about. They seem to be spending a huge amount of time sifting through the bottom, I assume, looking for food.

The two biggest, one blue, one almost red (see below - you be the judge), have grown in body size quite well this week with the extra space to roam.

DSC_00094.jpg Not a great shot, but my biggest fry - colour is definitely more redish...

DSC_00086.jpg

This is my front runner for a visit to the spawn tank in the future for the creation of F2

DSC_00078.jpg One of the smaller guys hanging around the bottom.

As you can see, Dad obviously had a fair mix of genes within him. Coupled with mum's turquoise, I seem to have unlocked turquoise and royals...which should mean there was some steels as well at some point. The red wash is from both mum and dad, but seems to be coming out as somewhat more than just a wash...

Suggestions please...

I found this on Friday: (been busy to do anything about it till now)

DorsalDamage.jpg

Just realised this guy doesn't seem to be carrying balok rays either... :(

I believe this was inflicted on him by this guy (who is carrying Balok ray :yes: ):

DSC_00137.jpg

But these guys are less than 3cm in length. I was under the assumption they'd be a lot bigger than they currently are before I'd have to worry about jarring.

Do I pull both of these guys out now so the remainder have a chance to develop in peace?

There is seven of these guys in a 40L tank with plants, hiding spots, and a 10cm BN.

DSC_00026.jpg

Edited by Brenton