Bettarazzi

Victoria Betta IBC International Show 29 Sept 2013

I'm very excited to announce that the Victoria Betta meeting planned for September will now be an IBC Sanctioned International Show. Please note that the main event has been shifted from Saturday 28th Sept to Sunday 29th Sept. (WARNING: Don’t make comments about the choice of AFL Grand Final weekend. We spent a very stressful week sorting out the issues and I’ve only just gotten over my urge to punch people and break things. You don’t want to reawaken that monster!)

Date Sunday 29th September 2013 (NB: bench-in will occur Friday 27th)

Time 10:30am

Venue 29 Grant Street, Clifton Hill

Judges Jodi-Lea Matheson, Head Judge. Other judges to be confirmed.

Show Chair Michael Chang

Show Schedule

Thursday 26th September, 8pm – Jodi-Lea Matheson will be the Guest Speaker at the Aquarium Society of Victoria meeting, same venue as above

Friday 27th September 5pm – Bench-in (only exhibitors and show stewards allowed in the hall)

Saturday 28th September – Judging (only judges and show stewards allowed)

Sunday 29th September – Show Day. There’ll be a talk, award ceremony, trading table, raffle, and auction of show fish

10:30 am Door Open

11:00am Talk: Jodi-Lea Matheson

12:00pm Award Ceremony

1:30pm Auction / Bench-out

Show rules, entry form and class list can be found here.

Sounds really exciting!`Record everything in video camera! :drool:

YAY! I should be able to make the Sunday :D so happy it changed from the Saturday! Very excited! First IBC show here, hopefully have some nice fish to enter! Super excited!!!

I saw on facebook you mentioned to import wouldnt be through someone, are there planes to try to work with a Melbourne importer to get fish down here?

I know Melbourne tropical fish imports are happy to import if you organise everything, as I've been looking into the costs involved.

There are a lot of logistics to consider if we were going to organise a way for International exhibitors to send fish to this show. If anyone has the time and inclination to figure it all out I would be overjoyed if they wanted to take it on. You need to have a chat to me first though, to make you sure we're on the same page with what's involved and what's expected.

In actual fact, there will be plenty of International fish at the show. Many of us will be showing fish purchased fish from Aquabid or from shops which are in fact fish from overseas. So from a 'standard of competition' point of view, this will definitely be an international standard show, even if the exhibitors are all local.

If you pm or facebook message what's involved I'd be willing to have a look into it all. Not saying 100% I can make it happen, but can put a fair effort in. Feel you guys would appreciate any form of help.

i'm real excited about this we should have some of the fish ready by then from our current fry :D/>

if jimbob wants to help out im glad to help too.

Hey guys, Just wanted to remind any Aussie entrants that registry (forms and payment ) are all due by the 15th September for this show,

So I guess that means I need to fill out my entry form and have a look over the show rules to make sure I'm doing it all right... and I'll need my area 7 class list for good measure...

Now all I need to do is train my fish to flare for the judges and condition them up reaaaaaaal good!

(Them's fightin' fish words)

Who else is entering?

Thanks to Daryl, Jan (tigger) and Ness who rocked up on Saturday to clean up the hall. It looks amazing AND we chucked out a stack of junk that had been accumulating 30 years possibly longer. If I'd known what a dramatic difference it was going to be I would have taken before and after shots. sadly the evidence will only be in people's memories. But I think anyone who has been to an ASV or Vic Betta event will notice the difference.

Thanks also to Hai who went out of his way to collect the carding material and then deliver them to me. Sorry it became more complicated than I expected.

Okay.... it looks like there's been some confusion about Division G: Art & Craft classes for the Victoria Betta show. It was left off the version of the class list on our website but was still on the class list on the entry form. As we HAVE received a couple of entries we would like to proceed with this division. If you did not enter Division G because you thought it was not being offered, we will accept late entries. If you're mailing in your art please send it Express Post to arrive no later than Friday. Just send an email to victoria.betta@gmail.com and I will add it to your entry form. Or if you haven't sent an entry form then please do so PRONTO.

for those who missed it today went amazingly well.

everyone is absolutely rapped

all the fish were auctioned off (except for 3) and alot are going interstate!!! (queenslanders and brenton looking your way)

Ness and Micheal did a fantastic job with the show and all the VB members who helped out made the day run smoothly and made it a fantastic first ibc show for australia.

Thankyou to everyone who travelled down for it.

including someone lea for head judging

hopefully alot of people will be sending fish/gong to the betta australis show next month

once razzi is conscience im sure he will post all the winners :)

For those of us completely new to all this show scene, different categories etc, and particularly for those of us who dont have access to FB during working hours :sad:/>, could a full result be put up here on the forum so we can marry up what fish was placed in what category and came where...please :worship:/>

And I'm very happy the weekend went off well. I've heard nothing but good reports around the traps and the praise is exceptional for Michael, Ness and all the volunteers - well done and congratulations!!!

A personal thank you to Michael for proxying for me at the auction, and for James and Maddy for offering to send the purchase to me with my other shipment :bighug:/>

The bar for Area 7 has been set high, as it should be, now everyone get on board to help out the next Area 7 show by Betta Australis in Brissy.

:applaud:/>

i believe micheal will be putting a list up in the near future now he can have a spare moment. :D/>

Hopefully now also people jump back on the forum, get this place buzzing again.

I'm sure once qld show is finished they will all come back here.

Not trying to be pushy - fully aware Mick and Ness have been flat out and probably resemble the walking dead currently ;)/>/> Although I'm sure Ness would make a beautiful zombie as well ;)/>/>

Over the last few weeks, I've been going through a lot of old posts during my researching of various things and have noticed comments on the ups and downs of forum traffic. People like Michael, Ness and Jarrod always seem to be around, even if not posting so much during times like the current show period...and of course Ashlea :)/>/>

I think it wouldnt hurt to keep pushing the notion that the FB page is nice, but the forum is so much better as a resource. Too many people need the instant gratification rather than doing a little search work themselves...and things are so much easier to find here.

Edited by Brenton

Too many people use facebook as a "I have no idea what I'm doing and just throwing fish together, everyone else research for me"

When I first got into breeding bettas, I was up until 5am some mornings just googling and YouTube breeding bettas to try to get my head around what to do.

Very true.

Currently I'm researching BBS hatching...again. I'm so over setting the thing up and not getting results, and I'm definitely over using frozen BBS which seems to leave way too many uneaten bits on the floor of the tank. The instant stuff is like $30-odd for a little glass tub - but I iknow it works. I fed my Convict spawns on it and they grew nicely. I switched my first Betta spawn to it and they thought all their Xmas' came at once...so much so they over ate and everyone single one of them had an exploded tummy.

So it's either VE for a lot longer - which I gather will slow growth hugely, stay with frozen BBS, which is messy and doesnt grow them as quick either, or fork out $30 every four-six weeks...or figure out a method of hatching them that works for me...hence the research, and not the questions all over facebook :)

I'll stop clogging up this thread with my non-show posts now...

ahahaha all good brenton :)

weve all appreciated you and ash posting whilst everyone else has been running round like nuts for the show.

once the list is up we can try get photos of all the winners too :)

ahahaha all good brenton :)/>

weve all appreciated you and ash posting whilst everyone else has been running round like nuts for the show.

Pretty sure Ash and I wont stop posting regardless ;)

once the list is up we can try get photos of all the winners too :)/>

This would be excellent for noobs like me. Then we can see what category different type of fish belong in, like mutli-colours, etc, and the quality of fish we'd be up against. Although very beautiful fish, one and all, I was a little surprised not to be completely over-awed at the entries I saw put up for auction by Ness...pretty sure I'll be able to compete when the time comes :)