Curious_Chaos

Platinum black halfmoon male x white halfmoon female

You know what happens, you put the girl in the bottle because she is just running away from him and then you go to do a water change and some how girl is not in a bottle and boy has white things in his nest.

You're not sure if they're eggs or purigen beads as you added purigen in a stocking yesterday to see if it kept the water clean.

The white things seem to be eggs though, and the boy is pretty convinced and actively nesting them so fingers x!

Not sure how the bloody hell it's happening so fast, but not only do I have tails... THEY ARE SWIMMING????

Not sure what kind of "unnaturally fast" development is going on here BUT LOL

I hope you understand the birds and the bees things! lol . Guess what ! You are going to be a grand parent. Plenty of water changes and lots of fry food needed. Good luck and congratulations:applaud:/>

I hope you understand the birds and the bees things! lol . Guess what ! You are going to be a grand parent. Plenty of water changes and lots of fry food needed. Good luck and congratulations:applaud:/>

Its my first spawn so i'm basically learning on the job :o

I have microworms :)

Babies now 3 weeks old, some are damn huge! Must be eating something as very much still have almost all of them. God help me in a few weeks when I need to jar them.... I have 10 or more coke bottles in the garage so far!!

Microworms and crushed pellets, occasionally frozen daphnia (not sure if they eat that) and I started a brine shrimp hatchery yesterday for feeding tonight and tomorrow.

I've seen them eating so they are obviously reasonably happy!

I've done water changes most days since they hatched and a sponge filter was with them pretty much straight away too. I since learned this is a very aggressive approach and I could have killed them, but they don't seem to have reduced in number!

Last night I swapped the sponge filter for a small normal filter and they seem to be doing fine in the current- in fact they seem to like it!

Yesterday they were observed to be showing very heavy platinum/white iridescence and some appear to be developing black pigment on head or tail. I don't think dad has marble but mum might so its very unclear as to what I will have as a final product at this stage!

When you say a normale filter do you mean a hob filter

Thanks

An internal filter, small, for up to 30L. Not much flow but enough to keep circulation.

Fry now entering 5th week I think... transfered to a 60L tank today to help with gaining size.

Urgently need some new live foods- microworms are too small!

Are you going to feed them bbs

I started feeding my fry bbs from day 1 and they are going so good so far all seem to have full bellys

What other live food do you want to feed

if you have trouble getting grindals but you have access to live black worms, you can slice up the black worms really fine with a scalpel blade or razor and the fry will take it quite well without really risking them choking on worms that are too large for them

Not interested in trying frozen? My 1 week olds are on frozen BBS because I cant get the live ones to hatch here either :(

If I had any confidence in shipping you some, I'd send you a starter culture of VE in a heartbeat, but I'm just not setup for that yet - sorry.

Ha - I've now got thriving cutures of MW and VE coming out my ears. I was very hesitant with MW as the smell put me off and I couldn't see anything moving - now I've got so many worms the surface of the culture looks alive.

Will be setting up new BBS experiments this weekend...fingers crossed

Just an update for those that don't use the FB group. The fry are 9 weeks (not 12 like i thought) and going well. I think they were stunted a little, but I've been feeding live blackworm/bloodworms and now moved to frozen. I've pulled the smallest out and given them their own tank, as the biggest ones are total pigs and well outcompeted the others.

I lost most of this spawn to being sucked up a powerhead- lesson learned. No more powerhead pumps without sponge filters on fry tanks

lol.

There are one or two really tiny ones that I think might be cull fish but I guess that's not too bad considering.

Now seeking EOI for these babies. I will post pics soon.

They are still unsexed- I'm fairly sure the larger are males based on their tale fins and general size, however I can't see ovipositors on any of them (some are fairly pale) and no obvious flaring yet.

I have a range of blues, gold metalics and bronze metallics with or without red in them. Some of them are ventral fin-less so they will be available FREE to pet or breeding homes (probably because i fed them on MW for the first 6 weeks but not genetic). Normal babies will be $20.

These are likely to carry both marble, and platinum dragon, genetics. Dad imported via Aquabid from Banglean Bettas.

Ok so these guys turned out to be quite unusual. I got red, red loss, coppers, blues, platinums/platinum dragons

Out of this spawn I am keeping a SILVER butterfly female with huge finnage (technically copper i guess but she is silver rather than copper looking), a platinum dragon with black marbling and yellow fins and black lace (? not sure what to call her) and a copper with amazing red through her fins and a Platinum butterfly with black marbling. Entire spawn was female.

Brenton has bought about 10 of these girls, so i am sure you will see them around on the forum ;)

I have hopes to cross the yellow platinum girl with a yellow HM boy from Adam Franz, or to a platinum dragon. The white and black marble will be crossed to either and or both of platinum dragon and black/blue/white marble boys and the silver I have no idea what to do with so i'm just going to spawn her on the spur of the moment I suppose!

null_zps1897523d.jpg

null_zpsc6e9f536.jpg

I picked up 8 of these girls to stock up the sorority so there was less fights when I pulled a girl or two out for spawning ;)

Some of the girls are a little small to be holding their own against the girls already in the sorority and some may actually be juvenile boys so I've held off putting them in with my other girls just yet until they have put on a bit more size and I'm sure of their sex.

Unfortunately, one of the girls was found on the bottom of the tank yesterday, with her tail and all internal organs missing. There was 8 when I went to bed, but 7 + the remainder of a corpse when I got up - someone had a bad night. I need to go through my photo line up to check which girl I lost.

A couple of the coppers will be heading to the spawn tank at some point down the line though.

Ok so the ones I kept (3) all turned out to be male... but... I'm proud to say that they are all STUNNING. I've sent the yellow finned silver marble pictured above to An Vu, in return for some black orchid juvies which hopefully one will be male ;). The silver/copper marble butterfly I kept with a black mask has just spawned tonight with a beautiful (now tattered) black orchid half-moon girl (see new post).

:) The four girls I had were moved on to a ladies display community tank. She loves the colours. Unfortunately, one passed, but the other three are apparently doing very well.

Of the three males, two passed, one unexpectedly, and one through stupidity on my part. The last is still here but has a tumour growing on his flank :( He was a lovely copper SD but since the arrival of the tumour, he has taken to biting his tail. He's a bit of a mess now, but teaching me about a disease I knew nothing about from personal experience. He still gets around quite actively and is eating well, but I'll be looking to euthanize in the not too distant future.