Sign in to follow this  
irsacae

B rubra

I bought a pair of rubra this week I am stoked at how nice they are .They seem to be settling in well the male has a gob full today.

Edited by irsacae

Hey Kev, photos aren't working for me. If you're on photo bucket all you need to do is copy and paste the image code. It's very easy once you get the hang of it. The image code has everything done for you so you don't need to type anything else.

so is that copy and paste into the insert image box or straight into the text box

So once you've copied the image code you paste it into the text area, you don't need to use insert image or anything, that photobucket IMG code has done it all for you.

Very nice photos. Jelous of you getting the rubra.

If you get fry out of them would be very interested in getting some sent to melbourne

Great pics. They look so good, I too would be interested in some if you get fry. Is the male still holding? Good photo of the wrap!

The male was still holding when I got home from work today

P5260005.jpg

I would be more than than happy to swap and send fish anywhere but not going to count my Bettas before they hatch also there is a few people here in Perth with there hand up.

Kev

They look really nice. Rubra are probably one of my favourite species of mouthbrooder as the colours are just so different on them.

Assuming you got them from someone? I reckon she sources and maintains the healthiest wild betta stock in Australia. I have had fish from her delivered to my house and spawn the same day as delivery.

Hope the male holds to term for you. Those first time dads can be very fickle *lol*

Yes they were from someone.I was just saying to a mate today that the fact they spawned 10 hours after being let out of the box they were in for 3 days is a testament to how healthy they are and how well looked after they have been ,its certainly nothing I have done.First time parents certainly can be frustrating regardless of the genus or the species

Its been 7 days now and the male is still holding I have no idea how big the fry are but I don't think he has a lot.

Well just for the record he held for 14 days and now its up to me to raise the 24 little ones he has left in my care.

Best of luck raising the fry. A lot of people will be after the fry if they all survive and grow up

Cheers JamesL

MT syndrome what do you mean by "interesting to see how the fry develop compared to other species"

Do you mean that the colour deteriorates or deformation? keen for a heads up on any potential problems.

i meant colour and size development! :D (Ashlea's bubblenesters took quite a while to develop if i remember correctly compared to her bigger fish and i was wondering whether it was a mouthbrooder v bubblenester difference, size difference or just the species - seeing as they were very slow comp. with the splendens)

i don't know much about rubra, but i assume since it's rare and sourced from indo it can't be too far removed from the wild populations and you shouldn't have to worry about the deformities that come with inbreeding

I don't think I've heard of any deformities with breeding wilds. Just splendans (double tails mainly)

I think size difference is dependent on parents and brooding type although some fish do develop at faster or slower rates I think ness (Melbournebetta) once said her ct fry seemed to grow faster than a same aged HM fry and they were both splendans...

Also Keep in mind any mouth brooder fry are pretty much two weeks old when they finally come out so you can't compare them to freshly hatched (similar sized parent) bubble nester fry

Rubra are stunners me and James actually agreed they were our mutual fave and yet here we are with 3-4 other wilds first

(Talked ourselves out of them unless they came up at auctions or on AI or until spring)

so you know if the spawns successful ;)

No probs

the female is a beast now (over fed whilst he is going with out) I will keep him separate for a while and get him back in tip top shape and put them back together again.I ordered some of the red rubra off of someone Lea looking forward to them.

Well its been a week and I cleaned the bottom of the fry container and with a clean bottom I was really surprised to count 43 fry I was happy when I thought there was 24.Not happy with my ability to count fish though.

Sorry missed your post miz I use RO water with about 10% tap water I am in the process of ordering a TDS and Ph meter so once I get them I will know exactly where i am at just winging it at the moment water temp is at 23 I heat my shed so it is pretty humid.The room air temp is normally close to the water temp I don't know if that has a lot to do with anything especially mouth brooders.

I also have 2 or 3 IAL in there along with a pile of oak leaves

Edited by irsacae

I haven't been able to find any RO machine things since the place in Oakleigh closed down :dontknow: Anyone know where to find them?

Sign in to follow this