WATER CHANGES

Snowflake

Hi everyone, I'm so sorry if this sounds really basic but I just don't know. I have a new Betta and I'm not sure about water changes. I know never to do a full change with goldfish, is it the same with Bettas and: 1. Do I do a 50% or 30% change. 2. Do I use the gravel vac 3. Do I take the Betta out or leave him in I take it twice weekly without a filter and once a week with a filter. I think I read that somewhere.

Yes I did Lilli - it came complete with the tank but I need a sponge to cover the intake. They didn't have any sponge filters left otherwise I would have bought one anyone. The guy said I didn't need one. He tried to sell me a teeny tiny little house for my Betta, he almost had me until I saw a permantly asleep one in his display. I went for the 10L complete like Belinda's. I came home and rang Bexley, he said I could use the hang on filter on very slow speed but I'd need to cover it with gauze or sponge which he has. I can't get their until Wednesday (my day off).

Much of a muchness, Snowflake, and in part it depends on the betta :) Some seem to get freaked out by the gravel siphon, others just find it interesting. Similarly, some fish are stressed by being taken out of their tank, others don't worry. I always leave mine in when I siphon, and it doesn't seem to cause any great traumas. (But there's always one silly goose who wants to investigate too closely and runs the risk of getting his tail sucked in :P)

way to go Snowflake (did you buy another betta whilst you were in Strictly?)

Cheers, Di

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No Di I didn't but I was very very very tempted. I did go and see them though. They have the smallest little baby veil tail I've ever seen! I just wanted to rescue it! Considering I've spent well and truely over what Cherry cost I thought I'd better not get another tank to set up plus another Betta - not yet anyway :lookaround:

Archived