maddzvk

our first wilds ever

Think a mix of bad lighting, phone camera, and rushed for time.

The uberis are really colouring up well, may bring two pairs along on Sunday. If we can catch four.

Hopefully unimac boy has spat out the rest of his babies (I leave for work at 5:30 so too early and cold to visit the shed) so hopefully Maddie updates if fry when she's up.

We like to think they are happy in the tank we set up .

It has 14 uberis and 9 of them we are just holding onto for some fellow betta enthusiasts

hopefully once is just ours alone they'll start feeling clucky and will want to breed in there cause its gonna be mighty empty otherwise haha

(Coccina complex is tiny compared to our unimacs haha)

Unimac daddy has no lump anymore

but can't spot babies (I'm really bad at looking though) now he's sulking. Will have a look for fry again shortly now there lights Been on for a few hours they may be out and about fingers crossed

Pretty sure he wouldn't swallow this late into brooding would they?

I never saw my unimaculata fry until Joan from here pointed one out to me. Is the male alone or still in with the others? I found my parents mostly left the fry alone. It would just be predation from other adults I would be concerned about.

I'm always amazed at how fast wild bettas colour up once you get them into a proper tank. They can go from brown and stress-striped to full colour in only a few minutes.

Its a six foot tank with two male adults and 1 female

Lots of driftwood moss and anubias

One male is in early mouth brooding so he is hanging around a cave at one end away from most of the plants etc

Hoping with sufficient cover fry would be able to grow up ok especially with the non father male mouth brooding....

If it's just the three and in a tank that size they really only need to survive until they are large enough to swim away from a hungry adult. I find once fry reach a certain size and speed they tend to be left alone as they are able to get away from the bigger fish.

Yeah that's what we figured especially cause there's so many nooks and crannies the adults are to big to fit in as well as plant and driftwood coverage. Suppose we will see James will be home soon so well go stare at the tank some more... together...

See any more fry? I reckon they'll all just be hiding. Sounds like he would've held, are all the unimacs the same sort of size? I have a reverse trio like you which I think is the best way to go with mouthbrooders. Do you have any idea as to how many male and female Uberis you have? The photos really show the colour despite the blur. You guys have had some serious success with your wilds!

Any more fry? Yes. I spotted two, but in a 6ft tank I feel I got lucky.

All the unimacs are the same size, or atleast very very close I can't tell the difference.

With the uberis as we are holding onto some for other people we have more than we will. But pretty sure we have 7 males and 7 females. All are very coloured.

Feel we have had success because we have them in such large tanks. Water has a lot of tannins from driftwood, almond leaves, peat moss and spagnam moss.

Thinking Sunday may bring two pairs uberis and a pair of unimacs.

James counted six unimac fry at once so I assume there were a few still hiding. :D

All adult unimac were bought at the same time and are the same size

I know with our krats one of the boys is quite chunky but he's not actually longer or wider but there's atleast one boy defs holding

All the uberis have staked out Thier own cave and have been blowing bubbles haha

I assume they are happy I'm really happy with how bright there colors are and how much iridescence they have

Hopefully when its just our five left they'll breed fairly easily I feel till then we may so disrupt them to much with trying to catch the other people's ones etc

Although with the uberis wee had some difficulty getting them to eat they seem to only take live foods no frozen or pellets and caus rod there size brine shrimp,daphnia and microworms are the only things we have at the moment. Hopefully once they've settled more we can coax them into frozen food a bit...

We got fry!

Noticed about 7 in the end sump which isn't running so gonna set it up as a fry safety place.

Here's one still in the main part of the tank

IMAG1084_zpsdb253591.jpg

Which fish? I think your big tanks are the key to your success. Lots of places to hide for fish that are holding and lots of room for fry to hide.

Its a unimac baby.

The tanks there in had a sump at each end, and seven fry are hiding in there (one isn't turned on) so the fry have a good hiding spot away from parents in there

WE HAS BETTA KRATAOIS BABIES

ATLEAST 10!!!

They are hiding in the sumps at the end so they don't get eaten by the adults (even with all the cover in the tanks )

And of course unimac babies atleast 8 babies

They are hiding in the sump reservoir too

It never ceases to amaze me how big mouthbrooding fry are. Congratulations on the new arrivals. Haven't seen many/any people keeping this species on this forum.

We bought the krataois in a whim at the edas auction earlier in the year

Poor things gave us a heart attack

we thought they were all gonna die cause we put them in beanies to set the tank up with clean water mixed in and they all looked dead

Thought we'd be lucky to have a pair survive (out of six)

So dumped them straight in the tank without acclimatising them

No joke the second they were in the tannins water they all suddenly burst to life.

One died over night and one seems to have disappeared (can only ever find 4)

until they settle in they aren't to great but they have some great irridescence in there bottom fin once they settle and they aren't nearly as shy as the uberis

Quite often they'll be out be about

And now they've bred!!'

even though I think we only have one girl :)

Counted 16 unimac fry today

9 in the main tank

5 down in one end sump

1 down in the other end sump :)

Just went out to turn off the lights for the wilds and had a good look at the krataios as after taking a couple to Vic betta they seem to start acting dead.

So while looking, I noticed a male holding again.

So in a week and a bit we should end up with even more fry.

It seems soon we may have to as bettazzi put it "be good at poor water quality"

Thought we needed a new photo, here's one of our uberis, I'm guessing a boy because of his colour

IMAG1170_zpsee0a9fbd.jpg

Yeah, fin size and ventrals as well suggests male. Looking pretty good.

Worried when the people we are holding them for come to pick them up. When they get stressed they all looked exactly the same.

Hopefully they will breed before then so at least we will have future mix

Wild betta update:

Betta krataios (3M and 1F)

One boy brooding

One boy caught receiving eggs with the girl tonight

One boy just enjoying not having kids

Plenty of babies too all growing well smile.gif roughly 15 fry

Betta unimaculata(1F and 2M)

Boy and girl caught wrapped twice (video coming) boy picking up eggs

Other boy just strolling the tank

Plenty of fry in tank as well easy to spot the fry now they are bigger and always zipping about smile.gif roughly 20 fry

Betta uberis

Pimped their tank

They are happy

ill be honest we probs won't notice when they spawn till we notice the tank moving more than normal with fish bodies haha

video of our unimacs spawning (with eggs) earlier tonight.

the boy did pick up the eggs after we finished filming smile.gif

Edited by maddzvk

Tomorrow we should be getting our betta foerschi.

Tank is set up minus a few plants, ph is down to 5.26. And temp aiming for a nice 26 degrees. We are getting four pairs, so hopefully they decide to spawn for us. Will upload pictures and videos and all the fan boy things tomorrow once they arrive.

No photos yet, been trying to work something out. Will post photos tonight to make more sense.

We got 4 pairs of foerschi from AI.

One pair are not foerschi. Definetly a splendens complex, thinking it an imbellis.

AI were adament they were all foerschi.

We have asked on the ibc smp facebook and uploaded a couple of videos if anyone wants to check them out.

Rather cool fish still, think even Ness might like the bright colours on them?