maddzvk

our first wilds ever

Hopefully.

At least we know his happy atleast. The other boy is a bit sooky as his not the dominant one. Sort of hoping if we do get fry they don't get eaten. Have plenty of java moss and some riccia for them to hide in

So we are up to day 8 now, last night when I checked on him he still had a mouth full. So hoping by the end of the weekend we can spot little baby fry in the tank.

With the krats I'm 99% sure we have one boy holding, coming up on day 5 I think. So again hopefully end of weekend we see something.

Our other krat boy all last night was showing off to the two girls, flaring and all, but he had his favourite who he would always go for.

Very happy our daphnia culture came back to life so we have plenty of different foods for them all.

Sounds like he is a good first time dad. Hopefully he continues to hold and you get some fry. Much as my male aggravates me with his incessant suicide attempts, I do hold a very soft spot for unimaculata.

I have been looking at daphnia as a source of food for my wilds. How easy is it to culture/keep alive?

When we tried to get it to thrive we almost killed it all, thought it was all dead as water went really green, forgot to throw it out, a month later we have hundreds in there now.

Gonna set some up in coke bottles to try get a few cultures. If it happens can give you one.

If I remember your west of Melbourne? Guessing you can't be too far from me and maddzvk. We are in altona meadows.

we have a rogue cherry shrimp in with our krataois hes been there a few weeks have a feeling he hitched a ride when we nicked some driftwood from the shrimp tank.

anyway visited a friend tank and she has 2 cherry shrimp in an 8 foot tank with discus and sharks, lots of corys etc. has me thinking shrimp may not be too bad in our wild tank?

i know james asked this before and got a resounding no but against this voice of wisdom we are throwing in some glass shrimp.

tanks are both 6 X 1 X1 heavily planted with driftwood, leaf litter, java moss, anubias and rickia and each have 3-4 wilds.

chucking 50 glass shrimp in each tank

we think if nothing else they are delicious treat. if they breed they are even more delicious treats.

figure there cheap enough and they should be able to hide ok because of all the cover and they are glass shrimp so dont really stand out.

DAPHNIA is lovely. no heater or filter neccesary ours is currently in an 12 L hex tank with the lid open

has water from tanks and some plants and a serious green water issue.

but it is thriving.

you dont need the plant in there but we chose to cause whenever we fed it yeast it tended to ferment a bit....and smell foul and that how we almost killed it with yeast

where as having plant in there provides infusoria.

we will probably bring some to vic betta.

more incentive for you to attend a meeting wild nut (besides your high chance of winning a place in the wilds catagory :P)

krat and unimac boys both still holding.

James reckons the other unimac boy may be freshly holding as well (poor girl will have no one to play with if both boys are preoccupied by brooding)

meanwhile the non brooding krat seems to be deeply in love with one girl. they're always swimming laps up and down the tank together if they could hold hands im sure they would.

From memory daphnia tend to slow down in warmer months but then take off again when it gets cooler. Unless I was doing something wrong that caused that.

i dont know if it slows down there breeding but the warmer the temperature the shorter the daphnia lives

i think i read something that said in mid to high 20's daphnia will only survive a month or 2 but in the teens it will live 6 or so months.

Last night me and Maddie splurged and ordered 5 of the AI betta uberis. Should be arriving Wednesday. Will also be caring for an extra 9 for a couple of weeks while two other people get set up.

Hoping out of 14 there should be a fair few pairs for breeding.

Considering getting betta coccina too. Damn fish being available when we have spare tanks

Chucked a cherry boy into the krats tank cause the cherry girl was saddled... And lonesome....

Today we started preparing for the uberis we ordered.

Izzy was trying to help Maddie do it.

IMAG0974_zpsc4fea31c.jpg

Also finished wiring up new lighting for the krataios tank, I bought the lights forgetting we had no wooden wall to mount them. Does the job however.

IMAG1007_zpsd466db36.jpg

We put a new cave in the unimac tank and the brooding boy has taken a real fancy to it.

IMAG0988_zpsfa1237a6.jpg

And here's the other unimac boy and part of the girl.

IMAG0991_zps7d45cd14.jpg

Thanks we try to make the tanks nice fo them :)

Rickia actually

Both tanks have the same plants in them: anubias, java(spawning) moss, ruckus and duckweed.

Most likely getting a bit more plant for them soon

Riccia not ruckas or rickia. Maddies phone auto corrects.

Riccia there's floating type and sinking type I believe. I think it will be good for when there's fry as iy has heaps of openings.

Hoping for anubias nana and other slow growing small plants

Edited by JamesL

Glad to see the leaves have done the job! That tank is bloody dark! Can you actually see in it with the lights off?

I love the look of the tanks too! I need more plants, do you just have driftwood in the tank? (Can't really see on my phone)

Ahah they are 150w halogen lights, so very bright, but through the cover glass and tannins its not as bright.

They work great for the tank, where we didn't really have permanent lights for it.

I think total cost of the two lights was $120, including a switch and a male power socket.

Also ran about 2m extra cable between socket nd the first light, and the same between the first light and second. Incase we change our mind with the set up.

Still have about 5m of cable aswell so theres a small chunk of cost out of the next lights I make.

(Yes I am an electrician, as its illegal to do this stuff if your not)

Yeah they are 150 watt floodlights wired up together

They are halogen so they can get warm James already cracked one bit of cover glass having them directly on it so now they are on styrofoam

We were showing off our wilds to a friend who came past particularly the unimacs and wouldn't you know it ones in his cave brooding (day 12) ad the other two wrap and spawn whilst we are there

Soooo many eggs so hopefully the second boy holds to term and we have many unimac babies in the near future

Also we just had visitors, and while outside checking out the wilds the unimacs spawned, so we have the boy hiding in his log, and the girl and other boy wrapped with heaps of eggs coming out. He couldn't find them all they went everywhere.

Its good as the brooding boy is on day 12 so he should release soon while this boy holds. Hopefully it means more fry survive being a tasty treat

Hehehe beat you to the spawn news James even if you beat me to the lights ;)

Hey Adam didnt see your q now we are on page two haha

The tanks are dark you can see in but the iridescence is the main way we can spot our fish so its easier with lights

We have a few caves (fake) lots of driftwood mopani and gold vine mostly

And plants : anubias, java moss, riccia, duckweed, amazin frogbit getting some crypts soon since they can be used as floating plants

Setting up the uberis tank the same but with clay pots film canisters and more plants as thy at smaller and a bit shyer than our unimac trio

Ohhh also we've used peat in the water as well as IAL(that's why our water is so dark)

It sits in 80L tubs of water underneath which we use for water changes (pH is low 5 without using any pH down)

Quick update.

Unimac, boy up to day 14, other boy was holding but think he may have swallowed.

Krat boy still holding.

Pretty sure its 3 boys 1 girl we have.

Uberis arrived today. Currently have 14 as holding onto some for mates until this and next weekend.

Seems to be 7 boys and 7 girls. We will be keeping 4 or 5 I think.

Introduced uberis to new tank

have never been so worried that there's something wrong with a tank till now

think we hae $500 in that tank and $360 of It belongs to other people eeeehh. Hopefully everything's ok pH/hardness/ammonia/cycling/cover/food/everything wise.

Can't wait for unimac boy to spit out his babiesssss

And krat boy (but that's like a week away)

Uberis are quite nice boys are darker almost purple and I like Thier flame shape dorsal fins :)

We got a fry!

Yes, one. That I could see. Was so small.

Unimac boy still holding but saw the fry so hope his slowly spitting.

Think two krat boys are holding now, definetly one is.

Also set up the uberis tank, very hard to photograph as phone camera is a bit lousy.

IMAG1070_zpsa1571e68.jpg

IMAG1047_zpsab6cafb5.jpg

IMAG1062_zps731b0587.jpg

This is a krat boy holding.

IMAG1042_zpsbf7b8096.jpg

Yes I know very bad photos. Should be getting internet soon so we can upload photos from our proper camera