maddzvk

our first wilds ever

Feel free to input anything to improve our tanks we only just set it up so planning to put more stiff down the empty end of the tank although two fish love running laps of it...

IMAG0280_zps96994885.jpg

IMAG0279_zps58204c35.jpg

IMAG0271_zpsdcdce6a0.jpg

IMAG0278_zps61789e89.jpg

Also in daylight we can get better photos of whole tanks.

The krataios are cheering up well. Of the six one male is exploring but freezes when the torch shines on him.

Two girls are hiding undee the leaf litter we made, and another is doing laps over/under a bent leaf.

The other two fish are hiding too well.

Two of the unimacs jumped over night. So this morning was spent trying to over seal the tank. It had no gape last night but they still got out. Down to two males and a female.

All the krataois have cheered up and are exploring the tank somewhat.

the unimacs are still running laps and exploring like mad

sad about the two jumpers :(

Also the boys seem to have bars one looks horizontal but one looks vertical is it like splendens how one is stress and the other is ready to breed

weve noticed the boy approchIng the girl with 'fins erect' but he hasnt been opening his mouth at her.

Jumping is a pain in these fish,the most common cause of death by a long way.I ended up cutting a flat piece of poycarbonate sheating to the exact dimensions of the tank and drilled a hole in the middle for feeding even so a umimac male got through so I plugged up the hole and lift the sheating when I feed them (macrostoma this time)

So this morning I got home, and found this on the driftwood in the tank of our unimaculatas.

IMAG0002_zps173cbdff.jpg

Not sure if the boys holding any, but its a good start for us.

Tank temp is set to 24, tanks in the shed with just shaded natural light.

Ph is 4.57 for them right now. Tanks just full of driftwood and IAL with annubius and java moss with a couple of mystery snails.

Feeding them live meal worms, blackworms, fly pipes and try frozen worms occasionally.

Our krataois tank not sure how spawning wise they are doing.

Can always see what I guess is the one male we have left hanging around with 3 girls (meant to have 5 in tank but can only ever find 4).

Tank set up is the same as the unimacs, except ph is sitting at 6.07 and temp is 25 degrees.

All the fish are in 6x1x1 tanks with a filter at one end with just sponge in them each.

If anyone has tips or suggestions to help with either of them let us know. We are just experimenting so any knowledge on these two fish is good

So I have a feeling a unimac male is brooding. His getting a lump below his mouth and likes to stake out under the driftwood and flares up when anyone comes close to him. Hoping for some suprises.

Also the krataios there is two who are always swimming besides each other so hoping something may be happening between them two.

Exciting times right now

If under his mouth looks distended, then it usually means that they are brooding. Also, if a male is keeping away from the others and being particularly defensive that can indicate that they may be holding eggs. My male mouthbrooders would usually become anti-social and more aggressive when holding eggs.

Hopefully you have a spawn. Unimaculata are a pretty fuss-free species aside from the jumping.

Ahah yeah we have the jumping fixed. His throat does look larger and he never use to get so angry, as the other male we named jock as he was acting more dominent and the other male would sulk away.

I havnt been able to find much info on what preffered ph is for breeding so I'm working off what people have said about macrostoma since both are in the same complex.

Will keep updates with how we think they are going.

With the krataios I'm trying to find other fish which are from the same river which they would eat that fishes fry, but which won't eat krat fry.

If anyone could answer that it would be good. Was considering shrimp but not sure if they would be suitable?

I think it would be difficult to get the same balance in a tank that you would find in a river system simply because there's no escape. There isn't the diversity if aquatic life either eg other species of fish, insects and microorganisms. Better to just keep them in single species tanks. Or you could try someting from a different biotope like guppies or swordtails.

I worry about having a different species that would eat any fry. Am considering some cherry red shrimp in the tank as they also like similar ph and temperature.

Not going to suddenly do anything will do a lot of research before so I don't wreck everything

Even by the krataios?

Starting to think also that a meat is brooding right now as he has a propper lump. Although he has really bad nipped fins so hope its babies not a disease growth.

Haha yeah. I had cherry shrimp once and my very small livida male managed to eat one of them and he didn't even have a big mouthbrooding gob. I would think shrimp would go pretty fast in a tank with a group of bettas. Bettas are good hunters, and can fit into surprisingly small nooks and crannies to get to food.

It sounds like he is probably holding. Nipped fins could be from the other fish in the tank, or damage from the female during spawning.

Were torn from day one, we thought they were all dead when we put them in the tank, then were sure this one would die after a couple of days of sitting in a cave looking really sick. But now looks really happy minus the fin damage

I don't have any fancy photos right now, and video of a pair of krataios isn't uploading to photobucket.

However there are two of the krats constantly next to each other, one is showing vertical bars which makes me think its the girl?

Im finding it really hard to sex them, as the one which looks to be holding is rather plain. Will try get better photos tonight so you can see what I mean with them.

Pretty sure a unimac is still holding. He hangs out with the girl most of the time. Then occasionally the girls off with the other boy. Hoping he will start holding soon aswell

So I finally got some new photos of the Betta krataios. Not the best with the lighting and where they were in the tank, but its still something.

IMAG0826_zpse0504fa8.jpg

IMAG0818_zps11f36d0e.jpg

IMAG0817_zps77490bf2.jpg

Here's a video of two of them swimming around

http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid1283.photobucket.com/albums/a558/LodoBetta/VIDEO0049_zps804c3eb4.mp4

As I got up this morning for work I went to check on the wilds outside.

Pretty sure a unimac is still holding, although his lump is staying about the same size.

The krat which looked like it was holding doesnt anymore, although they were all hanging out together in the tank.

IMAG0834_zps964b3c27.jpg

IMAG0840_zps4fb89b36.jpg

IMAG0843_zps345bda85.jpg

Edited by JamesL

They are looking nice and healthy. Tank looks like a good set-up for wilds.

I reckon that tannins the water really makes the iridescence on wild bettas pop.

I don't like how dark the water is though. And I'm annoyed our dogs broke our up aqua ph tester so I'm worried now especially with the unimacs that we will **** with the ph too much.

The tanks seem to make them really happy. Slowly adding Scoria into the end sumps as a form of ceramic noodle. And hopefully get a few more plants for in the tank.

Good getting gold vine and mopani for next to cost price as I feel it still need more in it

Thought id get some snaps of the unimaculata. The male I think is or was brooding I'm doubting now, his throat sticks out more than the other male, but I'm not sure.

IMAG0872_zpsda327dff.jpg

IMAG0871_zps9ad9b4de.jpg

You can see the girl on the other side of the wood

IMAG0867_zpsd9273652.jpg

And this is where he spends his time, between the wood and an almond leaf that's up against the glass.

IMAG0864_zps4249a5a7.jpg

Your male has a lot of iridescence on his face. My male doesn't seem to have nearly that much.

IMG_0695_zps4bdf9b8b.jpg

Is this the possible brooding male in these pictures or one of the other males? I have found when males are brooding, they will hide away from the other fish, clamp their fins and lose a bit of their colouring as well. If you haven't seen him eating that is also another possible indicator.

Both the males hide away at different ends of the tank. One is very pale but still has colour on his head. The other ones chin around is pretty much flat where as the guy in the photos has a small little bump.

The boy in photos doesnt eat heaps, his either hiding behind his leaf, or under the driftwood.

Still learning a lot about them all, need to water change but our digital ph tester broke so I worry I'm gonna mess with them with new water going in :dontknow:

So after finally getting home for the day at 11 we went to check on the wilds and feed. The biggest krat was flaring hard at the girls. Looked like he had a lump, but my guess work with the krats hasn't been too good.

On the other hand, the unimac, I'm very sure his holding.

IMAG0881_zpsd3b75bd0.jpg

Unless his got a tumor I'm guessing his holding

Yep, would say he is holding *lol*

Good luck. Hopefully he goes to term.