Sign in to follow this  
Scrappy

Fin Rot, and?

Hey guys,

Sorry to be a bit of a thread hog lately..

my Blue HM girl from Chi- I am not sure if its Melt, Rot or Velvet?

I cant find any obvious copper powdery substance on her scales, and she is quite happy- upset she cant boss everyone around- but is eating great, no stress stripes etc.

The reason I say velvet is that the scaling around her dorsal have turned a lighter color even though not copper, and her dorsal is clamped..

I have been doing a little bit of trolling through old threads, and cant seem to find anything that puts fin rot and clamped fins together..

Ive put a picture up of 2 of the girls- the Blue HM and a PK female who has fin rot on her dorsal (at least Ive put down to fin rot)

Can you please tell me your verdict?

(Sorry about the dirty glass lol)

The Blue girl with clamped dorsal and lighter coloring around dorsal..

WP_20130418_005.jpg

different angle

WP_20130418_022.jpg

Thanks in advance guys :)/>/>

Oh also treating all 4 girls in a 26L barrack system with IAL, Aquarium Salt & Melafix..

Ness said to use Tetracyclin, but I am just trying to source it atm

Edited by Scrappy

Photos aren't the best but my 2c;

First girl has a serious finrot infection, advise tetracycline or triple sulpha, in order of preference.

Second girl has melt and/or infection around the start of her dorsal, same treatment.

If they were in the same tank together then two fish popping up like this would suggest a water quality issue. Can't tell if it's velvet related or not based on these pictures, but I doubt it.

Edited by Yan

Thanks yan, should I do a 100% water change in their home tank? Or would 50% be alright? I normally do a 25% change most weeks. 64l tank filtered, heatered, live plants, while I treat them in the hospital tank??

and can I use the tetrcyclin with melafix in the water, or will I have to do a 100% water change in the hospital tank?

Edited by Scrappy

Melafix is as useful as, in human terms, a multivitamin for an infection. Stick to Tetracycline. I'd opt for 50% changes, one today and one in three days time. Wouldn't hurt to dose Melafix in the main tank.

Hey guys, just an update. The girl with finrot, she is well and it has gone away.. (the red on her fins are her pattern- I forgot to mention earlier)

but the blue girl, there is no change..

I have her in a hospital setup-baine Marie style (lack of heaters etc) and do a lot 100% water change everyday from water that is aged, IAL, aquarium salt and already has tetracycline in it.

its only been 5 days but I thought I may have seen a little difference by now?

it doesn't seem to bother her, she eats great, flares up when the other girls come check out her in her container (she was boss before)..

You need to get a much closer look at it. Small tank. Magnifying glass or use the macro setting on your camera. It might just be marbling?

I will try and find a camera, wish my phone had macro setting lol..

I would have thought marbling too, but the dorsal is clamped/ stuck together.

Hey guys,

so it has been 7 days since I started treating with Tetracycline, to have no improvement.

I noticed yesterday that now there looks to be a hard white part to the front of the dorsal where it joins to the body.

I took a video off my phone, as the pictures aren't helping.. and I cant for the life of me find a camera.

She is happy, eating, flaring at the other girls when they come over to suss her out in her container.

Im not keeping her in the small jar, I only used it so she doesn't move around too much while trying to video her.

The video is on youtube, address below

Cheers guys

Hard to tell from the quality but it almost looks like lymphocystis, which I have never seen on a Betta. Maybe google that and see if it looks the same.

Thanks yan, I googled it but it doesn't look similar. I thought it might have been white spot but its not fluffy..

unless its just part of the infection.. Really at a loss

perhaps I should give triple sulfur a shot?

argh..

btw happy bday yan!

Edited by Scrappy

Just a question, to make sure I haven't done it wrong.

When I treated with Tetracycline, I had 20L of water already ready with IAL, Salt, Tetracycline -& heated and used that every day to change the water with.

Is this okay? or does the Tetracycline wear out after a period of time?

I am going to purchase some Tri-Sulfur tomorrow, should I treat with just the tri-sulphur by itself and see how it goes- or can I try and knock it on the head with a mix of tri-sulphur and Tetracycline?

Thanks for your help guys

I would just do one at a time. And mix it fresh every day. I bought a pill cutter so I could make up smaller doses.

Right thanks razzi.. Should I just do a 50% change everyday?

my LFS also gave me some blackwater extract?

Do not combine triple sulpha and tetracycline. It should be dosed every day, prepped water won't be as effective.

At this point I think I would be trying what I have done to several Gouramis and Bettas with bacterial infections. Topical treatment of 'multicure' or 'multipurpose'. It is a total pain to do, but very effective.

Catch fish, flip him up the right way and either use the dropper on the bottle or a cotton bud dipped into multicure and apply straight onto the infected areas. Repeat twice a day until you see improvement. I do this in a deep plastic tub because the fish sometimes flips around and that will spray multicure dye in every direction. Use protective glasses with big, or very fiesty fish! Don't ask how I know... :giggle:/>

Thanks yan!

I've been doing a 50% water change and dosing the tri sulfur every day (well up to day 2)

I will definitely give that a shot.. I'll finish off this one tablet of tri sulfur (I had cut it into 4 because of the smaller tank-10L) and will try that method next... Thank you again!!

Gday guys,

Thought I had better update on my Blue HM girly.

Ive been speaking with my LFS owner, who has bred, kept and owned many species of fish for more then a decade and whom I trust totally.

I was treating with Tetracycline, IAL, Aq Salt and daily 75% water changes.

As I said before I spoke to my LFS and told him about Yan's idea and he suggested I use Betadine (not the ointment), and has told me how he has used it many times on his fish for bacterial infections.

He also has a link here on QLDAF which describes how to do it- http://www.qldaf.com/forums/help-fish-health-diseases-water-quality-12/how-use-betadine-fish-pics-47330/

This has helped- whereas the infection/melt/growth has stopped but hasnt gone one or the other, and so he suggested to stop the Tetracycline and continue to treat with betadine. So its moreso just wait and see which way it decides to go.

Im stuck as to what to do, and where to go next..

I uploaded a recent video- I know its not the best very sorry, all I have is my phone- but it just kind of shows how the dorsal has clumped together and grown into the body at the front, leaving the end & back part still normal. The different color in the scales is apart of the infection as well... :/

Pictures

WP_20130530_010.jpg

WP_20130530_011.jpg

Video

Edited by Scrappy

Unfortunately no, she passed away the day before yesterday.. It had looked to be getting worse again though..

Thanks for all your help guys..

Sign in to follow this