plants and ph

dan78

I was wondering do plants at all effect the oh levels of a tank? I have 6 new tanks running at the moment all empty waiting for my new bettas to turn up and I do regular checks every 3 days on these tanks to see where all the parameters are at. This one tank continues to rise in ph last night it is above 7.4 don't have the high end ph test. These tanks have a filter heater elodia and that's it for them. The other 5 seem to sit around 6.8- 7.2 on average and never fluctuated too much. Any ideas why this one may have always rises in oh but never dropped below neutral. Ammonia and nitrites are all very low.

This particular tank has been just rising. I did a week ago use ph down and brought it back to 7.2 but since it just keeps going up. Found this strange since these four tanks are in a row and the others don't seem to raise to much while the other two tanks are in a different room. The plant in this one does seem to lose a lot of the leaves, just a thought. They do get a couple of hours of natural lighting and a couple of hours under lights.

Edited by dan

At present its plain, pump filter, heater and some eldoia plants. I have some rocks and clay pots but haven't yet put them in. All get same amount of light and the only thing added about 4 days ago now was bio booster to help the filter with good bacteria but all tanks got a shot of this. Very strange to me so I may have to look at starting from scratch again with this one. I don't think this would matter bu they contain just over 10 liters of water.

You could try using a product called PH nuetral to try and bring the tank down to 7.0 (in my opinion the ph up and down create more problems than they solve) but I guess it would be just as easy to start again in a 10L. Odd that it is only the one tank though. Did the water all come from the same source?

All water came from the same tap its the only sink deep enough for a bucket and all got the same dose of water aged and tank start. It does seem really strange but started from scratch again and washed tank, cleaned filter out ect. Now tank is neutral, will get a neutralizing block for all tanks.

Small filter, medium is sponge in look, very big holes through it but supposed to allow bacterial cultures to grow so the box stated. It is pump driven fully submerged under water with a small spout to run water back in.

No no plants been put back in just running a simple tank for now pump heater and water that's all. The elodea has been put in a jacket and sat outside to hopefully grow and allow what ever maybe on it to soak out. Thought of mine, would ph up stick to plants? Just considering that one bunch came from the back tank while the other 5 bunches came from another tank, considering if they used a ph up to bring the ph of a tank up is it able to be absorbed or stuck to the plant and after a quick rinse then placed in my tank only to make the ph of this tank raise. Just trying to work an angles.

The elodea has been put in a jacket and sat outside to hopefully grow and allow what ever maybe on it to soak out.

I suppose it can't be ruled out. Test the water in the jacket to see what the ph is like. Would love to see a pic too. Sounds like an interesting way to grow water plants. I assume it's a straight jacket. :P

I suppose you can call it that, its a small shallow bucket that has shade cloth wrapped around it to allow fresh air and filtered sun on it but helps the plant from not burning, its a trick which I picked up from a friend that done this and he called it a jacket for the plants. Also helps keep bug and birds out of the water.

After new arrangements for tank ph was fine for a few days, just added wisteria all the plants I had left and ph is fine so tank is ok must have been the plant.