rainbowfish

sticky fins

I have a problem, well I have had a problem ongoing with my veiltails this seems to only effect veiltails and a few 'spadetails' where the tips of the fins stick together. Sometimes they curl a little but not always. There is no rot, the fins don't fall off or get shorter or appear damaged except they are stuck together and don't hang and flow anymore. I have had 4 like this now for 6 months so it obviously isn't something fatal one even spawned like that but the fry all died wether it is because he had that condition or not I don't know.

A few tanks have never been effected despite my laziness with dunking bits in and out of tanks so it dosnt appear to be catching.

I only test PH and amonia and PH is always between 6.5 and 7 and amonia is 0

Most of my boys are in cycled divided tanks and a few in individual tanks all have heaters and most have filters. None of the fish that have had this have died or got ill. It does not effect females and does not effect plakats. I have 1 crowntail that had a little curling on some rays but no loss of finnage.

I have tried so far everything suggested for finrot and finmelt with no success in getting the fins to 'unstick' antibiotics were useless. Salt makes no difference, IAL made no difference, Methalene blue made no difference water changes or not, makes no difference.

It is very frustrating, watching my once beautifull fish turn ugly and not knowing why or how to fix it.

Their diet is pros choice betta pellets, mozzie wrigglers and whatever small bugs land in their water.

Our water is very clean from shoalhaven river PH out of the tap is always 7 Ive kept other fish in it just fine with no adjustments I don't add anything I age the water in a heated tub ready for use its changed and topped up once a week it has a lid so nothing else gets in to pollute it.

Water movemnet in the tanks is minimal, lots of plants, minimal algea problems in one tank close to a strong light. I have some with power filters with the flow turned way down, and sponge filters. I did wonder if maybe they were not flaring and excersising enough Im often too busy to show them other boys to get fired up could this have something to do with it? My tanks have dividers that are hard to see through.

Sarah

I've been told the only way to deal with that is to add freshwater every 2nd day.I did that with no luck I'm starting to believe its just the way the fins grow maybe genes but I'm no expert

You mention that you have tried "everything" but don't mention what "everything" entails. The clamped fused together fins sound like advanced fin melt to me. I had a few chronic cases of it a few years ago with some CTs. Once it reaches this stage, the only thing I've found that wil come close to fixing it is tetracycline (sometimes multiple courses), but I'll assume "everything" includes that...

Salt and IAL will help the find repair and stop new growth getting reinfected one you get on top of it. I second the daily addition of fresh water ATM, if antibiotics aren't helping. It can't hurt. There are a couple of good topics on here about treating with aggressive melt. Use the search function in the top right hand corner. One of the best was written by Ness (melbournebetta). It helped me out at the time I was ready to pack it all in.

I'll give that meds a go does it fix the fins 100%

There are no guarantees with any medications, there is also the chance that the fish may react badly against the treatment (usually fish that are too weak already), so do the research before using any type of antibiotics or stronger medications.

tetracyline (that nearly killed a fish so I only used it once and then changed the water out when he hit the bottom and a few days later he was ok) tripple sulfa, blackwater, IAL, salt, methalene blue baths thats everything I had been told. The fins are not dissapearing though, just stuck at the tips it dosn't seem to effect them any other way their healthy otherwise. Sometimes its only one fin it gets like a point on it at the back Ive been trying to put pictures from photobucket but photobucket isn't working for me I have internet problems, I'll keep trying. It only effects some fish never females or plakats very slightly some CT with really long fins. Once the tips stick it dosnt progress or get any worse but they just stay like that.

melt.

Tetracycline (or Aquacycline) with salt, remove filtration and add aeration.

Tri Sulphur if you can't get TC

Punch it hard & it still might never go away.

the joy.

melt.

What about cutting the fins because I have one that's pretty bad we got him like that from lfs.my girlfriend wanted to save him and now I just want to try and give him the best life possible thanks