afr3178

My Wilds

Here is a photo of my whole set up. Not finished yet. Still tanks to move around and some more to buy. Want to make a little shelf for the shelf so I can put the small tanks (second from bottom shelf) one behind the other. I want more tanks! Also there are two more in my bedroom, two in the lounge room and one in the rumpus room. Three display tanks which haven't been setup for display yet. So they're just sitting there and two for my fish.

Anyway, only one photo. There is a bench which is going soon infront of the setup which is why it he photo is on an angle.

3BF4E09B-9943-4AE0-9CDD-A78AD64B0A4C-152

Yeah, splendens. I can't help myself. I try so hard to get rid of them but I just want to keep them! I think I'll give spawning them another go. Maybe a part of me just wants to do that successfully lol

I have splendens cravings every so often. It is easily quashed for me because I have no money *lol*

So what do you currently have species wise? The one reason the big mouthbrooders put me off is because they need such big tanks to live and grow-out in.

From left to right:

Top Shelf- macrostoma fry (spawn 1), Pallifina fry, Pallifina pair.

Second from top- young macrostoma pair, mixed tank (imbellis female, Palangkarensis pair, burdigala pair, ijebu ode killie pair), bellica female.

Third from top- splendens

Bottom- left two are empty, macrostoma fry (spawns 2&3), macrostoma fry (spawn 1).

Please nobody criticise my mixed tank. I haven't had any problems with it. It is a temporary thing due to tank constraints.

Setup is looking good Adam. Now we just need to see some closeups of your tanks, especially the macrostoma fry tanks :drool:

As you wish! You asked for macrostoma so that's what you get! Haha.

These first 3 are from spawn #1

A8DD3061-2F91-4540-B80D-6FF6E8FA836C-308

1A59C1CA-ADA7-4AEE-B9E3-4BDF08A26A31-308

982B13B7-4553-4C36-BC77-95452033ED7F-308

My ijebu ode male, will probably be for sale soon.

3E80AE58-4021-46BE-982A-D3A41A6A8747-308

My young pair started sparring! They looked so good in person, photos (especially mine) don't do them any justice!

C3FF1014-449E-42A0-BEE8-EA84ACDEFF60-308

Edited by afr3178

Just because he's so pretty

7F956F82-3913-4CDB-9F88-9F868E063A48-308

Sparring

29DF531A-4EC7-48CC-96A4-B069A8727EF6-308

D0239AF9-8B02-41E6-AD6C-7F87C8541E0A-308

BAA1A5D6-1552-4ECC-B69F-029464C4806D-308

Male was really conscience of me, that's why it's mostly the female showing off her mouth. I like this photo, shows them front on. They always look like they're frowning!

0059FA7D-6C79-4CE0-B067-ED58715CDFAC-308

Wow, they look stunning. Easy way to sex juveniles, only the males have a black spot on the dorsal fin. Don't worry about looking for stripes on the body, just look for that dorsal spot.

Let me know when you're ready to let some of them go. I have an empty 4 foot tank just waiting for them.

Thanks someone! I'll definitely use that method as I have had no way of sexing them other than letting them grow! I'll get in touch with you soon about them. Some are growing quite well now and I'll be bumping water changes up due to the convenience of my new set up.

My naughty big male has eaten his eggs once again, after holding for 4 days. That makes 5 times in a row. Think I'm going to have to smack his finny bot if he doesn't shape up soon. Might have to think about striping the eggs. Did you try that, and how successful was it?

I haven't tried with macrostoma, although I always strip my male at 3 weeks so I don't need to search the tank for fry. That way the fry will all be together in a breeders box.

I tried with pallifina (another large mouthbrooder from unimaculata complex) and absolutely failed! Not enough agitation of the eggs, something like a cichlid tumbler I think would work well just so the eggs are all constantly having fresh water and are never stagnant. I also wanted to try putting them in methylene blue, but don't have any so couldn't split the eggs between the two methods.

How low is the pH?

I am not showing my mum your thread Adam, she will be smashing your door down and stealing all your macrostoma.

I love the photos of the male and female showing off.

Curse you. Now I am missing my dopey macs.

Just finished making a divider. The whole thing was made with a piece of Perspex and silicone. Pretty simple but while I was making it I relised the tank I divided is actually the most perfect tank to divide. This tank will house two pairs of macrostoma; my older one and younger one.

This is the tank from above:

AE1C58D2-D848-4D67-A458-132BC9F6F1C5-187

As you can see, it is easily split down the middle. The cover glass is off, but with it on each side has its own two pieces. So they are basically two seperate tanks. It's perfect!

This is the divider:

B3A8DFD9-0FBF-4104-A4E6-79C6A74554D6-187

Instead of siliconing the whole divider in, I put two sort of 'braces' on either side of the tank which the divider sits in, it also gives me the flexibility of removing the divider and making the tank one. Plus I didn't have to empty the whole tank to install it. This is it close up so you can understand what I mean:

572C5885-C777-4E99-943A-7DB258298EFF-187

Can't wait for it to dry so I can fill it up and put the other pair in!

We have a fighter barracks which has these braces in place to the extent we can divide one tank into 10 compartments if we choose

they work really well

Haven't updated this for a while... There's been no news on the spawning side of things. Well, there's been spawns just no holding. Well, I moved my younger macrostoma pair into the divided tank. They spawned! Their first time, male was doing an awesome job holding until his female beat the **** out of him. He's been separated and is in rehab. Was in my ICU but he's a bit better now, finally started eating again. Has basically no fins but they should grow back.

I got gladiator, patoti and Unimaculata since last update. Gladiator spawned twice, stripped eggs first time but failed at hatching them... I've decided to let the males hold themselves from now on. Until I have a lot of fry and can't accommodate for more. Second time they spawned he held for a while but isn't anymore. Patoti, nothing so far since I got them on Friday and they weren't in the best condition but they're getting better. Unimaculata are a little bit too small for spawning I think but in about a month I reckon they'll be big enough to give it a crack.

I got rid of my ijebu ode, the tank now has my hendra and burdigala pairs. I lost the imbellis female :( right now I've only got bettas, nothing else (sold my angelfish too). I got a pair of bellica again. They're in with my lone female, so now they're a trio :D they look good, I'm conditioning them for spawning, hopefully they'll do it sometime soon because I'm really fascinated by the large bubblenesters.

At the moment there is a shelf next to my shelf, I can't really access the end of my shelf as the other one is too long. We're going to shorten the other shelf soon so I'll be able to utilize all the space on my shelf. When that happens, I'll be having two 2ft tanks and two custom built (one and a half times wider than a standard 2ft (2ftx1.5ft)) on each of the top two shelves, so four on each shelf, eight on both together. Then the next shelf will have splendens, I'm going to have two rows of the small tanks, four infront and four behind. The ones behind will sit on a little shelf. Then the space next to them I'll have for spawning tanks (I'm going to keep trying with splendens) might make a red CT line, got good red HM's at the moment. Maybe have the burdigala and hendra on that shelf too. Then the bottom shelf will be growouts me thinks. That shelf and the one above it are open to suggestions because I'm really not sure what to do with then yet.

I've moved the bigger fish (14/30) from my macrostoma into a 3ft tank while the other half are in one of the custom built tanks together. The 3ft is in my room but I want to move it downstairs. I'm waiting for my uncle to take the massive bench infront of my shelf still so I will have heaps more space. Might put the 3ft there.

Pallifina fry are going well, daily water changes, couple of feeds of grindals a day. Lot of size variation though. Hopefully they all grow at the same sort of rate together. Anyway, that's all so far. Will update more often. I've also ordered Compuncta and occelata from someone, they still need to make the trip from Hermanus then to my house. Then I'll only need Ideii and 'Antuta' until I have all the unimac complex fish despite 'antuta' not being identified yet, i still want it.

One more thing, the divider in the macrostoma tank is clear, I don't want them to be able to see eachother because I think the bigger fish are intimidating the smaller fish. How can I blacken it? My dad and I are so far going to take the divider out and paint it black with pond paint or something. Unless someone has a good, less permanent suggestion? I'm think the back of a binder, but that won't really allow for water flow and I'm scared of fish getting stuck under. I could easily cut slits for water flow...

Might get some photos today as I have a day off school :D

AFR is patoti less or more colourful than unimac...Horst Linke says yes, but all the pics and vids. say no...was thinking of getting some,, but noted your comments..good you have done so well with your pallifina..............b

I really like the look of patoti. They don't have any heavy facial scales like the Unimaculata do but I guess it depends on what you call colourful. The patoti get their vertical stripes but nothing like the blue/gold (depending on locality) of Unimaculata. Patoti don't have any really different colour, but they have the vertical stripes. They're really just a brown/gold when in colour, no real irid but just look at photos and see what you like. I use seriously fish as a reliable website for photos (google photos aren't always reliable) or hermanus has a couple of photos on his website.

Some crappy photos... Wasn't patient today, just wanted some snaps. I seriously need a better camera haha. I'm considering doing a series of shots that are of the fish looking straight at the camera, but too close for it to focus.

Such as this:

244D9F00-A431-44F3-B59C-7E7566A149E3-267

I'm really good at them!

Just some snaps; Pallifina male holding (yay! Spawned yesterday), Unimaculata male, bellica female x2 (male is protecting their nest under driftwood :D/> no idea when they spawned! But pumped!!)

13178E71-BB1D-40C7-A951-BCB73E66EA95-267

60E2AB73-D748-4AE6-AACC-A5D92D34852D-267

98454E21-0F90-4C2E-A173-E09AE213C060-267

BF618A54-436C-4628-A47F-C3E575E7BEF3-267

The colour on all my bellica is that weird blotchy pattern.. it comes and goes and gets worse some days, better some days. Not a disease, just their colouring.

Edited by afr3178

More; Betta patoti x2 (thinking male, pretty sure), macrostoma x3

2C4FB0F4-3433-46C1-AA16-C2A3916CD94F-267

07710D60-11AF-4C33-8201-091DF5EC654F-267

5DF8EE23-60AE-42D6-BAF8-B8F30F69506C-267 (brown spot is dirt, not a full belly)

AAF06DDF-1BC1-4397-9329-A6189733706D-267

36F99067-D854-456D-87B8-2C8A09290809-267

My macrostoma juvies, the males are usually a lot more colourful. They get stressed quickly.

Two patoti males were sparring today, looked awesome. Didn't get photos of that...