Fish tank disaster!

6ftaquaman

I went to a lfs store today and picked up 5 panda cory's and 5 clown loaches. After floating the bags in the tank I went to take the rubber band off the cory bag and found that it was almost impossible to get off. So in my wisdom I thought I would just cut the band with scissors...what I did not realize was when I cut the band I also cut the plastic bag and with the air pressure inside it just exploded and water went everywhere and fish went flying and I started freaking out!!

Luckily the bag was still above the tank when it exploded (even though lfs water got in the tank) im happy that all the fish survived the drama. I was freaking out thinking one of the panda's had been thrown down behind the back of my tank but they had freaked out and hid themselves very well in the tank. I eventually counted 5 of each in the tank.

They are both starting to settle down now after the initial freak out of entering the tank. I had the light on so I could watch them settling in but they became much more lively once I turned it off. They all picked a cornner to hide in until I turned the light off and then they started exploring their new home. They both came from tanks with large numbers too so im sure that has added to them being so scared. (that and me almost killing them)

I can laugh about it now but at the time it was panic stations :giggle:

Well I do consider it a disaster as I hate having fish store water in my tank! :D If someone had of been video-ing this I reckon I could have won funniest home videos! Water hit me in the face and I was spinning around like a crazy person thinking all the fish were on the floor or behind the tank (which by the way weighs over a tonne now)

@bettaobsessed- It was one hell of a knot he tied, I could stretch the band but I couldnt stretch it far enough that it moved away from the plastic so I was trying to nip the band but did not realize the bottom of the scissors were going to cut into the bag and BOOM....SPLASH lol.

Im looking on the bright side, I am going to get red line torpedo barbs at some stage that are going at about $60 for 2 last I checked, so thankfully it did not happen with them. Also boesemani rainbows which were $30 for 2. Luckily I was always going to wait until the tank was well established with fish before buying either of those. My sub conscious must have know something :lol: