HisGirl

would like comments on these two boys

so my two best boys here, I will be looking at breeding soon as i can get my fish room set up, these would be the two males I would start with

Looking for: Comments on what you think about them, and what kind of female you would put to them.

Also tail and colour suggestions on Aries hes still young (sold as a female) So not sure if his tail will mature more, im thinking hes an MG?

Aries_zpsdafafd5b.jpg

Einstein3_zps93ac6b03.jpg

both are LFS boys, Aries was sold in a group of three "Females" the other two of the group are Hercules (two of the three were actually just young males) and Aphrodite.

Einny was brought in a suburb a few east of me and hoping to see good things from him.

NB: the white spots on Aries is falling food, the only way to get him to sit still was to feed him and of course it all fell as i took the photos.(and of course the camera was a little too close to the tank and i caught its reflection)

Einstein looks good, his rays are straight with no bends or curly, the division of the colours are good too almost 50:50 divide and sharp contrast(good if you enter his in the butterfly category). Although with the angle of the picture I can't see his top line so can't comment on that. My knowledge on crowntails are limited so maybe others will comment

As for Ares there's a number of faults:

Form:

- His caudal fin is VERY rounded, not a sharp D-shape

- His anal fin is too long

- His top line is slightly dipped

Colour

- His colouration... it's a bit washed up so is he a little stressed?

- He has sever black outline of his scale (a fault)

What kind of pattern do you think he is? Butterfly? solid? Marble?

Aries: the closest colour to him is MG tail type ive no idea. I think he could still be sprouting as he was so small when i bought him he was sold as a female.

Einny: his only down fall is this red mark on his head, its not a wound.

these are the only other pics of him i have (camera died)

Einstein_zps764fdd6d.jpg

Einstein2_zpsa4cbbbd4.jpg

Aries colour, this is as solid coloured as he gets, he was stressed the first day and then when he saw a male bigger then him (when i was trying to confirm he was a he and not a she) and he paled and striped up. this is as pretty as he gets

Einstein is a good example of a butterfly CT. Good contrast, even distribution of the colour with no bleeding of colour, minimal iridescence (from what I can see in the photo.) Rays look good. Nice even splits. The first rays in the dorsal are a good length. I think he would do well in a show.

I have to disagree with Joan on Aries regarding a couple of points. In the Traditional plakat class, it is acceptable to have a rounded caudal and long anal fin. As a Traditional Plakat, formwise, he wouldn't be faulted for this. Yes, he does seem to have a slight dip to his topline but in the photo, it seems to be slight. He has the stocky body of the traditional form, which is good. The point at the end of his anal fin would have to extend a little further to be perfect. As for colour, at best you could call him a Chocolate (or black/yellow bicolor), but he isn't a very good example - the yellow is a little too washed out and the Wild-type iridescence is a fault, as are the spots in the dorsal. Still a nice fish though :-)

So my other question was when it came to breeding what should i look for tail type / colour of females for these two.

I wouldnt put a vt under either but wouldnt want to put the wrong girl to these boys.

Ive also just noticed Einys first ray on dorsal is black. would that be faulted in a show?

(Pitty there are no showings around me :( )

Edited by HisGirl

Personally, I would look for a black orchid CT female for Einstein and another Traditional Plakat female for Aries. You could also put Aries with a HMPK, but just remember if you want to get HMPK offspring, it will take a little work and several generations to breed out that Traditional rounded caudal and get the sharp "D" shape Joan was talking about. Colourwise, you could go mustard gas, yellow, orange - it really depends on what you are aiming for.

Jim (JHa) here on the forum usually has some for sale. Have a look in the classifieds section, or send him a PM.

A good read on Chocolate Bettas (and the Betta in the photo looks a lot like Aries): http://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=986

Hi There,

Sorry I've been a little distracted to address this thread, but thanks for your PM asking me to look (I usually get around to it as I am an opinionated creature)

Basically everyone's touched on the form, you're quite particular so I think your observations are going to be just as acute as mine.

Here is the standard for IBC judging of CT form: http://www.victoriabetta.com/uploads/7/0/4/6/7046952/chapter_5_2_-_crowntail_standard_addendum_-_rev_20060719.pdf

Stein looks initially as Single Ray, but technically he demonstrates Double ray reduction - however in a few of these there is a cheeky third ray.

Breeding: I would consider finding a VERY tidy Double ray reduced female - black... in my opinion the only place to find precisely this is aquabid.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettasct&1348852803 - but a better spread in the HM - and good clear rays.

"Double Ray – webbing is reduced at two levels; one

between a pair of rays and the other (more profoundly)

between two branches. 4-ray and 8-ray extensions are

less common and the effect is almost always confined to

the caudal fin."

I like his dorsal, there's plenty happening there, and his anal fin isn't too long - he's a very nice fish.

The PK I'll leave to the experts, I'm not all that of-ay with traditional types.

Stein is an exceptional LFS fish.

-Ness

So Einstein (now called Pan) his black has bled out, now with the white mixed through looks all black with almost silver rays. when i get one spawn started he will likely be part of the second spawn. fingers crossed