The Effects of Caffeine on Hatching Brine Shrimp

zhong89

lol... I hatch bbs constantly now due to so many babies. I'm just wondering is it possible to hatch them quicker using caffeine? sometimes surprise spawns come about and you don't realise you've got a spawn until you saw little fishes swimming around. My hatch timing is usually 24-48 hours depending on temperature and so just wondering is it possible to speed things up.

Although I agree with the effects of caffeine on fry.

I find I do get some BBS around the 18-20 hour mark, not a lot, but enough to at least get a first feed in. I heat the water in my BBS jar to around 25 degrees celsius with a heater and slightly overdose on the table salt *lol*

Maybe if you used sea water and had the temperature up quite high with a lot of light and aeration you might be able to get the hatch rate down a bit further.

Yep - unless you're like me and you

a.) didn't notice there are 2 fish in the same tank and

b.) didn't see the wrap, and

c.) didn't see the eggs when you came home from work, and

d.) didn't see tails 24 hours later and

e.) didn't see the fry decide to free-swim: at which point you have STILL 24-48 hours to get your sh!# together and hatch yourself some BBS.

Sure, try to accelerate the BBS, but it sounds a bit silly.

end (:

Edited by melbournebetta

Yep - unless you're like me and you

a.) didn't notice there are 2 fish in the same tank and

b.) didn't see the wrap, and

c.) didn't see the eggs when you came home from work, and

d.) didn't see tails 24 hours later and

e.) didn't see the fry decide to free-swim: at which point you have STILL 24-48 hours to get your sh!# together and hatch yourself some BBS.

Well I've done that. I had two fishes in a tank to breed and they didn't for months but wasn't killing each other so I just left them in there... When i discovered they've breed is when I saw little baby fish swimming on the bottom of the tank with no food in their stomach.

@Michael: Why is it always me trying out the weird stuff?