**BETTA AUSTRALIS SEPTEMBER BETTA SHOW**

shadoh

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Sunday night. It depends how long pack down goes. Monday may be a stretch, but definitely by Tuesday night.

Definitely an eye opening experience and I can see how it burns some people out. The amount of work put in by Jarrod and Graeme has been monumental, those two deserve so much credit. So to Paul for the work he's put in and moral support he's provided.

I just have to learn to keep my mouth shut during judging.

Expect to see a few new people. I think we'll have a couple of new club members as well. One definite, good job by Paul and Jarrod recruiting her. ;)

:lol:

Pack up went a lot faster than I thought it would take. Only thing, almost all fish are going back to someone-Leas and will need to be water changed, etc. Jodis day isn't over by a long shot.

My pick ups from the show, the male Black Orchid cross ray that won best of division, and the wild Splendens pair that won Bubble-nesters (small ).

Learn't so much (except to keep quiet during judging). For us locals worried about competing against overseas entries. Well if you breed from good quality stock, and manage to successfully grow out your spawn, you stand as good a chance as any foreign fish. But the foreign entries almost entirely focused on divisions A through D. Locals could have and should have won Divisions E through I, either with locally bred fish or store bought fish.

There were NO overseas female bettas entered I believe (maybe one).

If Jarrod had entered his male from the pair of halmoons from Jim in E2 I honestly believe he would have won the Class & Division. I believe this is something we all learned from the comp. And his pair of locally bred HM would possibly have won E3 if they were 4 weeks older. E2 is a great Class for locals, especially when colour, wash or iridescence does not impact on an exceptional betta with great form and finage. If you have an awesome Blue HM with red wash, put him in E2 instead of A3.

Veil Tail, I3 is another class that locals could dominate and was won by a local.

Any way, I'm off to release my new fish, and start loading lots of photos to photobucket.

p.s. I lurv stratigically positioned posts during photo sessions. But soooo many ninja photographers it was impossibly to not to get caught out.

The HM sibling to the pair that I bred came 3rd in his class : A3. Dark Iridescent Single Tail HM, So more than happy to get a class place in a highly contested HM category. His sibling brother and sister that were in E3. Pairs - (Match spawn siblings) would have done worse if 4 weeks older as further growth to my males already rosetail caudal would have been more pronounced. I was just happy to have that pair in and out of the judges shortlist for a class placing several times before being knocked out. Goes to show that most of the fish I bred did just as well or, in some cases better than the imports I entered.

Thanks to all who participated and put in the long hours to make the show the success it was!

As for me, my fish have had waterchanges, I look forward to seeing plenty of more photos when I eventually re-surface. 4 hours sleep in 3 days is not recommended for the lighthearted ;)

Sorry, I do not have any good photos of Reserve Best Of Show, a patterned DT HM, or any good photos of the Winner of the HM division, a Red HM.

037.jpg

040.jpg

Reserve Best Of Show, a patterned DT HM

033.jpg

someone sorting fish in to Divisions and Classes.

001-5.jpg

002-4.jpg

Edited by briztoon

Great job guys! Looks like it would've been an awesome day! Hopefully lots of people found interest and will help expand the hobby. Great to hear there are people already breeding, fingers crossed some will come on the forum!

Credit to all of you that put in countless hours of work and you've done a really great job! Fantastic effort guys :)

Can't wait to see more photos!