Sign in to follow this  
rainbowfish

Weird first spawn

I set my first ever pair to breed 24 hours ago and they started spawning tonight. They have been wrapping for about an hour over and over I have not seen a single egg fall but the female once out of her trance imediately is on the bottom picking up something and taking to the nest and spitting it out, I cannot see eggs but I assume that is what she is doing, the male however does not go to the bottom looking he just keeps blowing more bubbles.

I am scratching my head, what if he never picks the eggs up? After I take the female out will he just ignore the eggs?

Don't stress, my male took a long time to pick them up too. If she is doing it, it should be fine- but if he doesn't tend to the eggs at all after spawning, you may need to consider a fatherless hatch.

I don't have much experience, so wait and see what the others suggest. Never the less congrats! Fingers crossed he works it out soon, if not maybe he'll pull it together the next time they give it a go.

As Lilly said if you notice the male is not interested in tending to the eggs or you see him eating a whole lot of eggs (some eggs may not be fertalised properly so it is normal for him to eat those but if it a lot of eggs eaten) remove him. See my post on fatherless eggs hatching it's not bad, you will still get fry out of it. Mine are 11 days old now and doing great!

Good news he has finally worked it out now they are both picking up eggs and I can see her releasing now woohoo this is the pair I got from someone (someone) so I am very exited... and scared lol I will be happy if even only a few babies make it honestly. I tried a technique I saw on youtube using a second female to provoke the original female and rev the male up and it worked... plus tonnes of ketapang.

I have a second pair on the go in another tank male aready had a nest half done so I put the other female in they seem keen... the second pair are nothing fancy. If the first pair male dosnt tend the eggs well is it possible to foster eggs to another male if he has a nest going? Or will he reject the eggs?

So exited... hundreds and hundreds of eggs, and daddy is working so hard but they just won't stay in the nest he hasn't stopped picking them up and trying though so I collected some and am trying the cup thing... and hoping...

Good to hear he's worked it out! Try not to disturb him too much. It's not the end of the world if the eggs lay on the bottom for a while, and if he is picking them up I wouldn't worry about picking them up yourself- he knows what he's doing. :D

If you grabbed some in case he eats the eggs or something, I suppose that's okay, but remember the eggs you take have much less chance of hatching than if they are with Dad; and you can always Spawn your pair again, anyway.

Fingers crossed for you. :)

His nest has been falling apart and he hasnt tried to fix it he has been spitting eggs at the surface but they have nothing much to stick to.

Trust nature. Jarrod had a spawn last (?) year that the boy didn't blow any bubbles at all. His behaviour is the best indication that it's all ok, if not he would eat the eggs and not look after them.

Ive made myself work outside all day away from the fish so I wont look and worry I can't believe my first attempt even got this far, other pair seems to have lost interest.

Don't stress. Nature will take its course and you can't control it. All we can do (as fish keepers) is give them the best enviroment possible and be patient. Sometime it's :censor: hard to do but it's worth the wait in the end.

Have you seen my video

as you can see there is no nest at all, the father was eating eggs so I removed him. Yours is still tending to the eggs so it will be fine. As long as the eggs keep moving and they are fertalised properly, they won't fungus up and will hatch shortly, so don't stress. Main point is be patient and don't do anything drastic, if the male is still tending to the eggs let him be and you will be fine.

Edited by Chi

Thanks well we have FRY! and way more than I expected already quite a few are zipping off all over the tank and Dad is trying to keep up and bring them back, he is being a good dad so far but I wouldn't want his job lol.

Well done.

I hope you're ready for the next few months of constant water changes and then a few more water changes! Lol

yep in addition to my 7 other tanks... lol though these are my first tiny fry, I have been raising some koi aswell but I didn't breed those.

Well done.

I hope you're ready for the next few months of constant water changes and then a few more water changes! Lol

I agree with paul, I can't believe I have done water changes for my spawn for the past 11 weeks! It is getting to the point where that is about all I do and feed them individually as they are jarred (100+). There are days where I say arghh the hell with it but I still do it anyways.LOL! Be ready as your life will now revolve around your fry! Goodluck!

the barracks down sydney cost wayy to much, was going to buy a 3slot barrack for $99 or a 12 barracks for $300.

but it comes with a risk if one catches a disease then all of them will have it. thats the only bad thing

Well their all dead over 200 of them, came home whole tank of dead fry. Dad broke with fin melt after I took him out nothing is fixing it he just had a bad reaction to tetracycline and he has crashed. I'm over it before I get anywhere not buying anymore of these fish, too much misery.

The good news is I saved the Dad, it was a close call the tetracycline just didn't agree with him, seemed to help a few others that had the fin melt but switched back to tri sulfa as they all went off food. It has been a little while now treating fish I had to keep pushing the dose up to a ridiculous level to beat this fin melt I won't even say how much it's one of those cases of fix or kill + enough salt to rival the dead sea, water changes every 12 hours or sooner and that seems to be finally doing the job. I am seeing improvement and new fin growth, but I doubt the damaged parts will ever look the same. I am setting up a few new spawn tanks, getting them cycled hopefully in another few weeks Dad will be ready to try again. This time I am going to split the spawn once they are free swimming and move some into other tanks so if something goes wrong in one I won't loose the lot, because that really really sucked. I just hope the amount of antibiotics hasnt effected his boy parts :( At least they are alive and otherwise healthy.

Sign in to follow this