What are these bubbles?

I don't see an oily slick/scum at all.

No algae in my tank. I've got bristlenoses and otos in there that keeps things algae-free. There are snails in there too.

The rest are bettas, neon tetras, black widow tetras, corydoras, yoyo loaches, kuhli loaches, and danios.

Planted tank, lots of surface agitation and water movement over half of the surface area. The other half of the surface area consists of floating plants so the water is still.

maybe just bubbles from your filter or airstone?

It's never shown up before though.

Ugh duckweed. I'd be removing it.

They came with some other plants but they're ok. I clear a load of them every couple of weeks or so while I'm doing a water change. They'll grow back over the next few weeks and I'll clear them again. They do a good job of keeping the water clean so I don't mind them.

Dunno about the form.

What form?

No, the bubbles kind of started outside the wells at the edge of where the water current meets the floating plants. It was only a few bubbles so I didn't pay it any heed. Then later in the week it showed up IN the wells (don't know how the bubbles would've gotten there) AND on top of the duckweed. Strange!

Female bettas don't make bubble nests do they? Certainly not in fast moving currents I would've thought.

• 4 weeks later...