Wild Nut

Tis breeding season

My brownorum are still settling down after I completely overhauled their tank. They were in a panic for a couple of days but are back to their usual selves now. I didn't have any fry so I am assuming the other fish have been eating them, but that's alright as I can always just separate out the dominant pair at a later date.

I used to have coccina but they all sadly died. Now it seems no one ever has any for sale.

You shall have to prise my little red fish out of my cold dead hands haha They are my babies. I love watching them interacting with each other and talk about easy to spawn! My splendens male ate his eggs for the last time so I have given up on the idea of spawning them for now.

I'm reading too! I love your huge collection of wilds! It's alway growing and good to hear you are having such great success with everything! Hope you get some coccina soon!

Thanks afr3178. I really enjoy my wild bettas. They have such distinct little personalities and it's so fulfilling watching my fry grow up alongside their parents.

Hehe I discovered Mr Rutilan has several fry he is guarding in his hollow log (he as gathering them up in his mouth when I peeked in) and Mr Persephone has finally released his million fry out into the wide world. It's so cool putting a torch over that tank and seeing all the fry swimming around at all levels of the tank. I may set-up a separate grow-out for the bigger fry so they don't start cannibalising everyone.

Tussyae juvies are sooo fat. I gave them some blackworms this morning and then they scoffed down a whole lot of grindals this afternoon. Starting to see some colour on their fins and through their bodies when they are displaying.

Also forgot to add my strohi spawned in their new home but the male swallowed the eggs. Was really surprised by this since they weren't fully grown.

I suspected the biggest pair were a male and female but I guess that confirmed it *lol*

Will be moving my tussyae tank later tonight and taking some shots of the juvies.

Tussyae fry/juvies!!!

IMG_5097.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5110.jpg

They were eating some grindals in the photos. You can see the iridescence starting to come through on the anal fins. They are also redder in colouring when I don't have the light over their tank blinding them.

One of my tussyae males and the mum of these fry had a near death experience the other day. Luckily they are both on the mend and the female at least, is back to her usual feisty self.

argh the juvi stripes on the wilds are so adorable!

I needa get me some. did you get most of your claret collection at EA, Coburg or someone?

and it's a shame about the marble PK... he's just probably not ready to commit to having kids yet

and is enjoying the bachelor life too much :D

I got most of mine through someone, but Adrian at EA is really good at being able to order pairs from Aquarium Industries in. They usually have brownorum, rutilans and sometimes uberis listed.

My tussyae are now taking NLS .5mm pellets and frozen bloodworms so that's one battle won. Have so many persephone fry right now. Going to need to get a bigger tank for them at this rate.

All my wilds arrived safely yesterday from someone. Since the labels rubbed off my shipping bags someone had trouble working out who was who. So now my burdigala and uberis are just sharing a tank together. I suspect I know which ones are the uberis (they have a black spot on their side apparently) but I am not completely sure.

They are so tiny, not all that bigger than my tussyae juvies. Most adorable fish ever!

Hey Ashlea

That pic of the juvi on the sponge filter is great I love the bubbles cought in action. There is somthing about fry that can just draw you in and keep you watching. I am realy loving this thread thanks for all your effort

Cheers

Les

Yeah the bubbles were cool. I want to get the macro lens on this camera one day and take some nice close-ups of my fry and fish. Mum has about 50 photos on the camera (it's hers) and I have about 500 haha.

I love my little wild fry. They just zip about doing their own thing. These guys know who I am now and have started doing the betta wriggle dance at the front when they see me coming over.

Will be putting the light over my unimaculata tank tomorrow and getting some nice shots of them. My bigger male was getting cosy with the female this afternoon so who knows what that might lead to.

Okay I didn't get any pictures of my unimaculata (or my burdigala/uberis who are dividing their time between squabbling and hiding) but I did get some good shots of my tussyae fry. I got this lot of photos while they were still half-asleep so you can see how red the fins are going on some of them.

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

Unfortunately, I ran out of blackworms for them and my other wilds so I will have to go procure some of them later this week. None of them are very happy with pellets and frozen foods haha. Spoiled bloody bunch. I can't wait until summer rolls around again and I can get some mossie larvae happening. Thinking of putting a pair of splendens or wilds out in a tub with lots of plants and see what happens. But we actually have to get above 'freezing my butt off' for that to happen.

I took some pictures of my Betta unimaculata trio. If it was up to me I would never own this species again as my last three ended up as expensive fish crispies. These guys hit the glass cover as hard as they can over the course of a day so I have to keep them under a towel to avoid getting them worked up. Unfortunately, my mum loves them so I had to get them in for her.

IMG_5192.jpg

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5186.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

The oldest persephone fry are about to get moved into a separate grow-out as I saw one attempting to eat its younger sibling. I want to really cut down on cannibalism so I am going to be removing the biggest fry this weekend.

Well long story short, I accidentally unplugged one of my heaters resulting in my persephone fry getting ich. I moved them all out into a separate tank to treat them but the medication I used only seems to have killed some of the parasites.

I have bumped the temperature up even further and am treating with salt and we see how that goes before I look at other treatment options. No one has died including my tiny 1/2cm fry, and everyone is eating and swimming around so I am hopeful they will pull through.

Unfortunately, my tussyae female died and I bumped into the shelf my fry tank was on and must have knocked the lid off leaving three of the five fry I was raising, to jump to their deaths. Now I just have two, neither of which look female.

Brownorum male is holding again and I intend on scooping his fry out as soon as he releases them. My oldest rutilans male was guarding some fry in his log but they have since disappeared. Don't know if they are free-swimming or eaten.

Here's a picture of my oldest persephone fry in the treatment tank. Doesn't appear to be affected anymore but is staying with the rest of its siblings anyway.

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

Very nice...Is that some oily scum on the surface of water? I just recently lost my female channoides, don't know what from though, checked the water chemistry and all is good. The male is fine but the female was breathing heavy and then stayed at top of water surface, then went to fish heaven. Usually there are signs and it happens gradually or because of bad water but this was in a day, I have no clue what the cause is. Have recently purchased more currently waiting on arrival.

What photo are you looking at? The persephone fry one was taken side-on. None of my wild betta tanks get a protein/oily film because they all have sponge filters on low to agitate the surface.

Could have been just a fluke thing with your channoides. I had an albimarginata female die of what I think was internal parasites and a couple of my coccina complex bettas die from some kind of ulcerated fungus (columnaris?) but that's about it. They are generally pretty hardy once they settle in and I am careful to keep their water pristine.

Well I lost my male persephone. After he first spawned he developed an infection under his gill and although I treated it he has just never been at 100% health. He developed another ulceration on his chin and in spite of my best efforts, passed away.

The female is still perfectly healthy, and is living in a 15L tank by herself. My aim is to keep her alive until her fry reach maturity and hopefully there is a male amongst them to pair her with.

All the ich seems to be gone from the fry. The smallest ones have visibly grown and are starting to get their ventrals in. I have been doing regular water changes on their grow-out and feeding them a mix of BBS, MWs and grindal worms. I have about 20-30 of them in there so a decent number.

My brownorum male was sneakily holding so I didn't see until he had released his fry and they obviously got eaten. I have put a leaf in to intice him to spawn (him and his female were under there half attempting to wrap) so this time I can separate him out into another tank and steal his fry.

My rutilans male has yet more fry in his log. I am going to be moving the adult offspring out into their own 45cm tank as I want to start getting some more fry to grow-out again, but now I can't tell which one is my dominant female! They are all damn near identical now *lol*

Took some photos of my biggest persephone fry. I tried to get some shots of the others but they were in hiding every time I put the light over. Ignore the dirty floor as they had just had breakfast and haven't had a water change yet. Still don't know if I have any brownorum amongst them. Will have to see what happens as they mature.

IMG_5411.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5402.jpg

Thanks. I have all my fingers and toes crossed nothing goes wrong. I am already way more attached than I should be *lol* Damn their cute little faces

Have a sad update.

I found my female persephone dead yesterday :(( Have no idea what went wrong as she had looked healthy last time I saw her.

Luckily, someone had a pair in stock when I emailed her yesterday, and so they are due to arrive to their new home today along with a CT male for the female in my avatar.

So far I have lost one fry. The others are getting fed mostly BBS and grindals, but I do chuck in some MWs for the really small ones and I let them tussle with some white worms last night which they really got stuck into. I do seem to have a couple of different coloured fry in there so they might be brownorum. That leaves me with around 25ish fry which is a good enough amount for me!

Am going to get some updated shots of my fry when my camera charges. Been doing lots of feeding and tank cleaning and the bigger ones are catching up to my tussyae juvenile now.

Sad to hear about your loss Ashlea.

I'm glad that CT boy is finally on his way down to you, and yay for JL having another pair of persephone in stock.

Well waved the postman off, took my package inside and noticed the box was wet when I opened the bag. Come to find the bottom of both bags had torn that were holding my CT male. He was still wet, so I tried putting him in some water hoping that he was in shock and it would revive him, but sadly I was just too late.

However, my persephone pair arrived in excellent condition (thought it was one of them and thank God it wasn't). They are currently swimming around their new home side-by-side in full colour with beards out. The male went into the small pot I had in there but was very disgruntled to discover I had blocked off the other end.

I swear someone keeps her wilds in the best condition. I mean how many fish can travel from QLD to Melbourne during these colder months and be up for spawning right off the bat? I am very glad that a store like hers exists as otherwise I would be a very sad little wild betta hobbyist.

Although quite possibly a bit richer than I am now *lol*

IMG_5486_zps5c4e2760.jpg

IMG_5476_zps71e38f3c.jpg

IMG_5482_zpsd48ac893.jpg

Male and female chasing each other around and having a bit of a flirt

IMG_5481_zpsdb204164.jpg

Persephone temporary tank. They are going into a bigger tank once the peat moss and debris settles.

IMG_5495_zpsea0f05ed.jpg

Persephone fry wondering why their mother was too slack to hatch BBS for them today *lol*

I am loving my persephone (when they deem it necessary for me to see them.) I think they are my new favorites.

Sorry to hear about your CT boy. It's a real shame :(

I always think someone has jumped out when I can't find one of my wilds. So then I'm frantically tearing my tank apart only for them to come swimming out to see what I'm doing.

Persephone are great. I figure if something happens to this pair I am giving up on the adults and just going to raise my fry *lol* I hope third time is going to be the charm.

I was very sad about my little CT male. He looked to be everything I was after for my CT female. I have sent an email to someone to see if she has any suitable replacements in stock.

Well I got some better photos of my growing persephone fry. Chucked some NLS .5mm pellets in there and the bigger ones had a go at them. They have mostly been getting grindals, white worms and MWs lately as I am too lazy to hatch BBS. Seeing lots of colour on them now I have added a ton of IAL to their tank.

IMG_5517_zpsd1e0f7ae.jpg

IMG_5522_zps8df50f74.jpg

IMG_5519_zps86369aa6.jpg

IMG_5515_zpsfc99ca1a.jpg

IMG_5527_zpsc369b328.jpg

Also think my unimaculata male is holding eggs. He came out trying to eat a bloodworm the other day and this funny look on his face as he realised he had eggs in his mouth *lol* He's not in the least bit shy about coming out and saying hello to me or the cats (who jump up on the lid of the tank). So hoping that with his less skittish personality he manages to hold to term.

I am currently battling a nasty case of velvet that I stupidly spread to nearly all my wild betta tanks (great warning to not share equipment between tanks) and lost two rutilans from it.

However, my persephone fry are fine as are my unimaculata. In fact my unimaculata are so fine I pulled about 15 odd fry out of their tank and there is around 5-10 still in with their parents that I gave up on catching. They had their first meal ever and hopefully all going well I can get most if not all of them to adulthood.

Since I hate unimaculata (they are my mum's suicidal fish) they will be going up for sale as soon as they are big enough.

Decided after I woke up and found most of my splendens dead the other day that I am going to give up on keeping them in large numbers like I used to. I am going to hang onto my survivors and when they pass away just have one nice display tank to house a pair or single female in.

They are such hothouse flowers and for some reason or another I am just not a good fancy betta mum.

Thank God my goldfish are still healthy or I might have felt like a complete and utter failure *lol*