HELP! NO POWER

Hi All

I have been hiding for a while again but need help. I lost power in the storms we had here in Perth yesterday and currently have no idea when power is due to be restored. How do I keep my tropical community tank warm? I have just stocked it with bristlenose catfish last weekend and a there are also a couple of female betta and some neon tetras.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks :)

If you have some foam laying around, stick this to the sides and front. Will minimise heat loss at least.

Other than an open fire to heat the room but unless you Margret River way, I doubt you would have one. They should be ok. Good luck. :-)

Thanks. Don't know that I have any of that laying around. Might see if there is some here at work. The problem with the fire keeping the room warm is that its not overly cold! Its still around 20 degrees during the day. The tank was at 20 degrees when I got up this morning, I'm not sure how low it has to drop to be a major problem but even at 20 it felt quite cold. They're not getting a lot of light either so I have put a battery operated light on top at the moment while I'm at work. Might just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best :)

Twenty is fine as it would be a slow drop.

Do as Ness said, bit of salt and look out for trouble. A thick blanket would help as well, thrown over tank at night.

My mates power is now back on after 22hrs so hopefully yours is too. :-)

I'd be more worried about ammonia spiking now and when the power comes back on. Also, if the power doesn't come back on maybe buy a battery-powered air pump to increase oxygenation as while your bettas may be fine with no filtration, your other fish may not.

Definitely test your water params if you can as your beneficial bacteria can die off when there's no oxygen and unless your tank is heavily planted you could face some water quality issues.