Metal Red Lacy Fancy Guppies

melbournebetta

• 4 weeks later...

Well I waited patiently my 28 days, and on the dot (from their arrival) they've dropped fry!

I feel like such a n00b all over again, I freaked out, stripped a failing spawn tank, made compartments for the different batches incase the second girl drops hers (no idea why I'd want to do this) and just got ALL EXCITE.

Then I got all nervous that i hadn't hatched BBS - and got the betta fry-guilt that really I'm a bad parent and why was I doing this anyway..... and then realized I can offer these dudes FLAKES (what the?) talk about low maintenance.

So they've had an offering of grindals, microworms, goldfish flakes and daphnia.

My god, not a bad meal to enter the world with, but their first meal needs to last a few hours cos it's nearly midnight and I've had so much pumpkin soup I might turn into one.

Needless to say photos and video are uploading as we speak, moar soon.

IMG_7200.jpg

IMG_7197-1.jpg

Guppy shelf:

IMG_7205.jpg

60 lt grow out on the left, the kids are floating at the moment so they're easier to feed for the first few days - red lace male, black male in the small tank on the right - females all in the sorority, red lace girls floating in hatchery in sorority....

phew.

Edited by melbournebetta

So today funnily enough I was watching a youtube video about girls squaring off, before they're about to drop...

So anyone who knows anything about this guff, which of the two ladies would you suggest has dropped this lot of fry? (I have NFI, they both look the same to me still)

Also - can they have fertilized fry in their bellies at different stages of development?

thank god humans aren't this fertile!

Edited by melbournebetta

Ah Ness

LOL @ NFI. normaly when the girls are ready to drop they get a realy dark gravid spot that isnt as dark after the drop, as far as diferent stages of development whilstin gestation I dont think so as it is spemal plug (I think thats what its called) and once again I may be wrong but I think its up to five drops from this. I realy hope you get some nice lace like Dad out of the drops but it will be a while before you will be able to tell.

Give the Guppie genetics a bit of a go as it isnt as far removed from Betta genetics as you might think, just seperate the traits into areas and layers I find it easyer that way.

Cheers

les

Do either of the girls have a red belly? My Guppy females belly always go's square and a pink-red before and during she gives birth.

Really awesome fish. I think I should get some fancy guppies, or try and breed some from my boring fishies. :P

Hey Ness

Thats the cuitest Omnom nom I have seen for a while. I was going through culling today ( feeding biger fish) and in a spawn of black mocow to a lace girle I have gave me a lace tail with a half black body and they look very tidy indeeed so if at some stage you go ahead with what you wanted to do I think you will injoy the results. I did get a suprise of five blonds but hey you always get one or two blonds at a partay.

Cheers

Les

Les tell me about the blond gene - I did a brief search for this lastnight and there seems to be plenty of people asking about it and a whole lot of idiots answering differently.

Is there a blond gene that just produces paler fry, do they colour up the same, and what do they look like when they're older (tell me all you know master)

I have a beautiful black girl that accidentally got in with the red metal lace, so she can be my side project... trying to keep the 2 original metal lace strains as pure as possible so I have strong lines.

Hi Ness

As long as it is a female that gets in with the lace male your strain is not effected but you will have to make sure the fry are kept seperet I use stick on labels for all my containers now so there is absolutly no chance of a mix up

I am no master of genetics but am downloading Phils book on it tomorow and have to get a book that jodie has at the moment so will ring her tomorow to order that one. The father of the blonds was an LFS fish so I have no idea of his make up but the Mum was from a HB girl to a HB Red male and I picked her becouse she was the darkest and most cleanly marked.

Cheers

Les

Ness the Singerpore Guppie Club SGC ha ssome good threads on genetics and also links to blogs that are realy good on info about blonds and there is a special lace breeders link

The most important thing I did find out about blonds was that they are used to help brighten other coulers which makes sence as I remember when I shared a house with a guy who was quite a famouse painter ( He painted birds of paradise and used gold leaf) he would always paint his boards with red paint first I did ask him why and he said that it gave his top coulers more depth and showed me what he ment be doing one with and one without. so I think this bit of info can be seen as true especialy if we think like betta coulers as layers on top of each other or some striped back. And we must also remember that blonds are also referd to as gold which comes in on the red side of the spectrum. I hope this helps

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

Thanks guys - that's great, I've got 2 or 3 of these little noodles.

I moved the black male into my sorority (holding tank/breeder net) and have noticed what looks like velvet.

The temp is slightly higher, but the water is pretty soft... now I feel like a dufus, he went bank into the cooler guppy tank with some multicure (floating) but is apparently a jumper... *asdfjaoi2ej*

so I think perhaps the moscows have it too?

guh.

Multicure for everyone, I find the colour scheme boring.

Would soft water and slightly higher temp be enough to set off velvet in these otherwise healthy fish?

And is it right that they don't mind a bit more salt than the average tropicana?

I've put a pinch of salt in with the multicure metal lace kids, and the black male is isolated with a freaking lid, salt and mc

Should I have a pinch or two more salt in the fry tank? I don't want my new favorite babies getting unwell.

Hey Ness

All of my guppies are kept in water straight from my Bore and if you know the northern Burbs of Perth that means it is realy hard water. I also put salt in all of the tanks which house Guppies and endlers. Maby you could just set up a tank with a refugium just for the Guppies. and use the refugium as a sump come breeding tank for them.

Hey razzi I have a blond with a black tail it is quite a stunning look if I can get her to breed and get a few males like her I will be happy and thanks I didnt know Cambo was once called blond.

Cheers

Les

Blond body, black tail? Interesting. So the blond gene in guppies can control black on the body but not the tail? I've just started reading Phil Shaddock's Guppy Genetics Simplified which might shed some light on the blond gene. I already had some of his other books and a TFH guppy genetics book I bought about 15 years ago. I tell you what... even when it's simplified, guppy genetics is way more complicated than bettas.

Sorry Ness not trying to steal the thread

from reading some of Phils work tail and body genes are diferent for lace and also for couler, Gold (Blond) being a couler it can be atributed to body and or tail the same as Black ( but I could have read it wrong as somtimes I do) it seems to be easyer to segment the guppie up and then designate the traits to each part.

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

• 1 month later...

Nice to see Ness

You have a few yellows which is good to see I get a few from my reds as well. What are you feeding the little ruggers at the moment??? I use BBS and then onto grindels as soon as they can fit them in there mouths.

Cheers

Les

• 2 weeks later...

There will be moar pics soon as the original pair have just had their second set of fry... in the hatchery now with food stuck in their faces... I tried to capture the mums giving birth.... need to review all the footage first.

In the meantime, here are my 2 standout males from the original batch

I posted this in the wrong thread before - sorry.

Still looking for advice on which of the two males would be useful in a breeding program (and why?) ...for now all the girls are in with their dad, but until they're a little bit bigger and I can choose which of the girls I like best, I won't be keeping anything they drop (they're probably prego with their brother's babies too... there were some pretty lousy boys, I re-homed about 6 average boys)

Feed back encouraged! I'm flying blind with these fishus.

Hey Ness

You will have to do a second matting to see the tru results of this pair. Read Phill Shaddocks Genetis primer it will explain what I mean as traits can be masked till the sibs are matted then you see the real Geno in the pheno. but that aside did you not get any snake skin in this drop?? I think male number one has a better repprasentation of lace on the tail and as he matures it may improve more the other male has a big black mark wich is a step backwards IMHA.

Cheers

Les

PS the primer can be downloaded PDF

Thanks Les!

The boys are the only two I've held onto - the other males were blond (yes I know they're useful) but they all had tattered and deformed tails from a bout of velvet...

I still like the original male (dad) so Ive put him in with the girls and isolated the two other boys.

No snakeskin (I think??) in the males - only the lace and the metal coming through on the boys

I'll look up the PDF

Cheers

• 6 months later...