Sign in to follow this  
hungryemo

Gorgonzola

First time posting for critique.

I'm pretty new to the world of Bettas, and fish in general, and I haven't looked too much into what is 'show' quality and what isn't. Not that I have any plans to - just a warning I might not understand some of what you'll tell me! I basically researched how to set up a tank for them, how to cycle, and how to keep them alive.

I also have a four foot tank with 12 females. All are from JHA and I'm always impressed with his fish. But anyway, onto Gorgonzola! Would love to know what you guys think of him and any details you can give me about his colour, form, etc etc?

28t86xd.jpg

The first thing that strikes me about this fish is the EVEN-NESS of his rays - everything is so geometric, which from a show standard point of view is really appealing.

There's something very easy on to the eye about this fish.

The butterfly pattern is fairly even though the tail - I think he'd be faulted in the colour department for the slight bleeding of red towards the bottom of the anal - and at the base of the dorsal, but it's very minor.

Body shape he's a little thick towards the back end but overall very tidy - slight un-even-ness in the topline, I would pair him with a very correct female to iron this out - good full ventrals....

He sports even metallic/dragon scaling over the body (what would you describe it as?) as he's back-lit it's hard to tell.

Anal fin is standardly a little too long, but again, with the choice of a good female (good symmetrical plakat style shape) he'll make beaudiful babies.

For me with this fish it's all about rays, he's not too frilly, no excess anything - just a generous halfmoon spread on a good fish.

Where did he come from??

-Ness

i think this fish is absolutely stunning, his tail is so symmetrical, and kiara do you not think that in this case simplicity is beauty? i think this fish is awesome, where did you get him from?

zacy your a douche!

i love this fish but i prefer personally! the bodys to have tie die colour through

for example black head -> blue out through the tails

i love the volume and shape of your betta

Hi, I think I will agree with most of Ness's critique. On first inspection, his caudal fin makes him. Straight rays, even branching, perfect semi-circle. The butterfly pattern seems to accentuate that lovely caudal too, and the light body creates a striking contrast. After the initial wow factor though, I start to see a few faults that are a little concern. Minor issues with overall balance, anal length and top-line conformation are present, but not a big deal. My main issue with this fish is something that Ness noticed too, and on initial inspection doesn't seem like much, but might prove to be something of an issue if considering breeding with him.... its the tail end of the body that looks "a little thick". The picture you've posted actually looks like the fish is shortened just at it's caudal end. It's almost like his caudal has been cut off, his body shortened 1/2cm and his caudal reattached at that point. This may represent an underlying spinal anomaly/defect (and may be a genetic issue - hence my concern). It may just be that he's been photographed in an unusual position, but, if not, and his spine is missing a couple of vertebrae, then you might want to double think breeding with him if that was your plan.

Hey, thanks for the critiques guys. I understood most of it!

I'm not planning on breeding him, although JHA did also send me *the* perfect female for him, but I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to begin that whole process.

He's a poser as soon as the camera is out so this photo was straight-on, he wasn't in an unusual position. Is it something that will impact his health/longevity? Or is it just a mild genetic thing that won't effect his lifespan?

Cheers.

I'm not even sure that it is a spinal issue, but it just looks unusual and it's the most likely explanation. At any rate, I don't think it will affect him in any noticeable way. If you were breeding him and his fry had the same or worse, then that would be undesirable is all.

Sign in to follow this