Guess what I bought today...

shadoh

Gouramis and angels are fine together, I've got my Altums and my breeding pair in with a breeding pair of pearl gouramis and 3 different dwarves but I don't like your chances of them breeding in the same tank. My small angel pair have all my discus, other angels, gouramis, apistos etc down the other end of the tank when they spawn...

A confirmed breeding pair of Discus isn't a cheap venture, and they're probably better off in a 3ft/30 inch but a 2ft is ok to spawn in but not long-term housing IMO.

All good Yan! You've answered what I want to know. If I want to spawn the gouramis, I can scoop a pair out of the 3ft tank on top and stick them in the 2ft tank on the bottom. The same with the angels, I can either put a pair in the bottom tank to breed, or if I catch them laying eggs, move the leaf to the bottom tank ;) the bottom tank can also be used to raise any cory or bristlenose fry if those fish end up breeding in the above tank.

What's a nice schooling fish that would look good in there? I know smaller tetras are a little "fin nippy" and a large angel would make a meal out of neons...

I think a lot of the Angels eating smaller fish must be nonsense.. I have yet to experience it, but then again I allowed my Raspbora Espei to get to full size before I added big Angels/Discus. But in any case, I've got a school of Red Phantom Tetra and Black Phantom Tetra, I think they're great.. They stay bottom-mid levels. Rasbora Espei are mid-top. Maybe think outside the box... What about Cherry barbs or Odessa barbs? They're quite the underestimated little fish.

Oh and re; nipping... I had 6 Serpae Tetra in a 90lt/30 inch tank and they were AWFUL. They nipped everything, especially each other. I think the sole reason is due to tank size and stocking levels! As I said, I've now got 12 Red Phantom Tetra and I think about 6 Black Phantom Tetra which are quite similar to the Serpae and they've never nipped anything and the fin displays between the males is actually quite pretty.. I think I'm just rambling now.

You know, I've been prejudiced against barbs since my early days of fishkeeping and I had some tiger barbs that were aggressive little fin nipping #*@^s. After that experience, I've lumped all barbs into the same boat and never gone near them again. Looks like I have a lot of research to do.

A nice shoal of cherry barbs might look good against some gold angels...

And Yan, feel free to ramble, I am learning heaps...

Nice Pineapple!

Very nice tanks. Can't wait to see them set up.

Non-Betta species grow-out tank?

Sorry Sarah, I missed half of the replies to this thread last night while I was typing replies. I just noticed you comment on the pineapple and was trying to work out if it was code for something *lol* 5 mins later, I worked it out. It is an antique lamp I have on a table behind the tank (not where it will stay)

As for your other question, it will by my non betta growout :)

Heh, no worries!

Yes, unlike the others, I did pick something out that existed (Sorry Paul, I know I know I did think there was a gecko for a moment there!).

Nice Pineapple lamp. My brother wanted me to do a Spongebob themed tank, pineapple ornament and all (eww). I told him I would, if he brought me a tank for it. No new tank no Spongebob.

So far I haven't gotten another tank. :P

Sorry, felt inclined to tell you that due to the pineapple... back on track!

Ghost knife fish are lovely, always wanted some. I would definitely get one, and I think Yan said she had one in with his Angels/discus?

I do despise most barbs but lately I've found myself wanting to overhaul my Discus tank and toss in a group of Odessas and Cherry barbs, lol. They do look incredible in a planted tank. We've got both in our 5 x 2 display at work and not many people believe they're the same as the ones in the sale tanks because they look so different... :P Had one or two people ask if they were dyed red!!

I did indeed have a Ghost knife, they're fine with Discus, Angels, Gouramis, etc.. But watch your little fish. They will disappear once the Ghosty gets sizable. Now that my Ghost knife went belly up I'm considering Galaxy Rasboras too.

Hahaha!

Based on today's first two pictures, I was thinking you were so lacking in motivation for this one that you couldn't even be bothered to complete the dumping of sand substrate into the bottom of the tank, and that you were planning to leave it like that for 'ron.