I'm Getting a Fishroom!

Sarah

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha!

Yeah I wouldn't mind a TV show. :P

Thanks guys. Can't wait until it's set up.

Had to decide where each tank, so dad could work out where to put all the power points. He said I was taking too long to make this massive decision, so was like "I'll stick a double here, here, here, and here, just stick them everywhere and I'm sure it will be more than enough."

Have you arranged for a sink or at least a tap inside the room Sarah? Make it easier to do water changes and clean up and other things....

Good on getting lots of power points - can never have enough of them!

It's worth thinking of putting insulation in the walls of the room as well - will help save on heating costs during winter.....

It's looking great so far - nice of dad to move his gear out too :) You've done very well!!!!

Hey Wayne, there is a tap/hose not 2m from where the door is - so that's great for the water source (right now I've been carrying buckets from the bathroom to my room, and taking old water through the house to put in the garden).

As for the sink, the wall that has the cupboards and bench on it is the laundry wall, and that has a sink in it, so I'll just use that. Previously, I had been using that sink anyway... which is in the backyard, and my room right on the other side of our property - so much easier all round! :)

Insulation - check. Will have insulation. :)

I haven't done very well, dad has! :D

As for moving his gear out, he would prefer to have his own thing, rather than go through the fish room. He's making another on the other side.

Oh, electrician is coming tomorrow, so power will all be going. Just now we put the big window in. All coming together now!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks, Ness. :)

As for the shelving, you can see in the pics on one wall there is a work bench with a cupboard underneath, dad is going to take the door off and replace with a curtain - as the door swings wide open and will take away a fair bit of precious tank space! There are shelves next to it, he's going to take it all the way down to the floor (already is, just you have to get to stuff from the cupboard next to it and he's just making it easily assessable). Ontop of the work bench I'll probably put in my little cupboard I have in my room. That has all my meds and dry food.

I also have a shelf (think it is maybe 5ft long, has three or four levels), that's in my room currently. Will move that into the fish room - it holds all my inverts, live food cultures and spare containers/foam boxes I use for shipping.

I THINK that's enough storage space and shelving! If not (very, very much doubt this) I can always use the stands/cabinets some of the tanks have.

Hi Sarah

Congrates to Dad on all his hard work. Your work will start with the painting I supose and you can allways get Matt to paint all the high spots ( He is still comming down right) hope the rest goes as smothly as it has been Good luck

Cheers

Les

Thanks guys!

Mostly planned out... still figuring out exactly where each tank is going.

You're right, Zui - never can have too much storage space. I definitely don't have enough at the moment, some of my stuff is stashed in the garden shed.

Aha oh Les!! I did help put the window in, have the splinter to prove it. :P

As for Matt coming down, not these holidays, the next ones (June/July). Probably staying for a week, but he won't be here to help set it up. NO WORRIES, I'm putting him to work scaping my tanks. 71.gif

Hehe, thanks MT. :) Ever come to Sydney, you're always welcome to come and share the water changing (offer is there for the rest of you people too!!). :P

Progress, please excuse the mess (is a worksite), and the horrible photos. Bit hard getting pics. I'll take a vid when it's set up I think.

The inside walls are done, just need to be painted now. Then once dad's work section is finished, he can move his stuff out and we'll replace the doors with curtains (the doors currently swing wide open and would take up a massive amount of tank space).

Then the outside walls just need to be finished, but that can be done anytime - dad said paint it (we'll probably do that Monday), and we can move the tanks in when that's dry. :D

DSCN7658.jpg

DSCN7657.jpg

DSCN7655.jpg

DSCN7654.jpg

DSCN7652.jpg

Hi Sarah

That is a very profesionel job your Dad has done. You now have the makings of what some fish hobbiests can only dream of. I do expect some stunning fish will be breed in that room and many stories told. Good luck and may sarahs fish room feture often on this site

Cheers

Les

Thanks everyone. I know, I'm extremely lucky and quite spoilt!

Shall be keeping you all updated with pics/vids. :)

A stable would have been awesome Miss Ness! I do recall trying for one years ago, but didn't work (can't REALLY have a horse here anyway). A fish room is much more practical.

Haha, thanks Jarrod!

Photos... well.. it's cold... I just sat down FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME AND I'M NOT GETTING BACK UP... they'll come, the room isn't going anywhere!

I'm able to fill it up tomorrow but I want the cichlid tank to go in first, and that takes at least 2men to carry that, and that's tricky. It's a REALLLYYY heavy tank, so have to wait until I can get it moved. Dad works with my uncle, so I'll ask if they can do that.

BH, thankyou!

Yes yes, pics will be up soon.

Hehe, I'll take pics of it all painted and empty tomorrow, promise!

I'm not a messy of a painter, because I pay attention to detail, so it normally takes me 10x the amount it should. I also like to wash my hands the second I get a drop on my hands because I don't like paint.

Slight perfectionist?

Mum painted, thanks mum.