Unused IAL lose colour

sharkwater

Wow, that's strange. I have a bag that's about 18months old and still brown and leaching tannins when put in water. I guess your best bet is to put some tap water into a container and measure the pH, then add one of your leaves and check the pH in a couple of days. That will answer your question without having to make a guess.

I wouldn't think they would be any good without the tannins, but it is only a wild guess :)

I had some older leaves that didn't lose colour but they weren't that old. Perhaps it's how you've kept them? Were they air tight in a dark, cool place? <- Everyone who hasn't had an issue, can you answer this too? Might give us more insight.

I have a pack of four hundred leaves that Jeff sent over at least 12 mths ago, still in original pack he sent them in and they seem fine. Airtight and in a plastic bag on a shelf below wild tanks. Other packs that have been opened and left laying around also are ok. These get no direct sunlight though. :-)

I had some leaves. I left some leaves on top of my aquarium light intending to put it in the tank when I got a chance and I completely forgot about it. A couple of month later the colour is lighter than the others. I put it in my tank anyway, I didn't notice any decrease in effectiveness but then again I wasn't looking or testing for it.

I believe it's due to improper storage; moisture & heat may have cause that

My IAL dosage app says standard dosage for a 90lt tank - 4-5 large leaves or 5-7 small leaves. For breeding - 9 large leaves or 13 small leaves and for rearing fry - 2 large leaves or 4 small leaves, so you are pretty much in the mid-range and safe! :)

1. The cell walls in plants can be thickend slightly by the adition of extra potash whilst in the growing stage, difrent localities would have difrent soil make up and chemical and trace element contents.

2. Whilst preparing and drying leaves the cells undergo some deteriation. ie ( If a leaf is dried when still green it will have more elements retained in it than one that is collected from leaf fall )

3. The legth of time any dried leaf is stored for will effect the potencie of the chemicals stored in the dried leaf

4. The storage technice should also be considerd.

So after all things considerd if the leaf was of good quality when first purchased then 12 months is a good time frame to use up suply or a larger quantity will need to be used

Cheers

Les

PS its not hard to grow so if you had a tree you would always have a fresh suply

this is how the tank looks with 12leaves in 80L for 6 days.

P1010384.jpg

i wish it was 1.5X darker.. unable to measure the pH yet (pH meter ran out of batteries). but ideally i want it at pH5.0.

Should i keep adding leaves or should i use other methods.

i heard sphagnum moss can be used too. but how??

note: this is a bare bottom tank and i do not intend to use any substrates.

Its not spagnum Moss its spagnum peat moss that lower the PH or canadian peat moss Jodie had the canadian peat moss not long ago as I got some from her it will lower the ph and add tanins to the water that the fish will benefit from I would also advise to get some fresh IAL plenty of suppliers around

cheers

les

PS like your tank

You can use the peat moss in a filter typ set up or when aging the water to go into the tank take a QTY of it and place in a bag and soak in the water as it ages it will give tanins and lower PH I use it hear in Perth with my bore water and it makes the water perfect

Cheers

Les

Hi sharky

Sorry it has taken so long PC failer.

If you are getting Peat from garden shops you must make sure its not Coconut peat fiber as this dosnt have the same properties as bog peat (Canadian Peat has) and you have to be vigelant that they havent put in any ferts or water saving chems. yes you can get filter peat from Aquariume Shops ( AS ) but not all AS stock it, and seriously if you got it from Jodie it realy dosnt cost that much even with the fraight and you know you have the right product. I didnt yous the filtewr method you displayed in Pics I got a Ham bag (left over fron Christs mass and used it as a tea bag they are calico so you might even be able to sub for a fine weeve material. My water has a hardness of 10 and PH 7.8 the peat lowerd my hardnes two 8 and the PH to just under seven but I also used Banana leaves ( only the dried ones not green) and some pandanus that I have growing hear. I hope this helps

Cheers

Les

thanks les! ive found sphagnum peat for carnivorous plants and the seller has confirmed it has no additives and she has sold it to others for aquarium usage.

heres the link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140688758348&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

is this the correct bog peat youre talking about?

i went to their website and they are selling "Canadian TE-EM sphagnum peat moss."

anyone knows what TE-EM means?

The canadian peat I have got from Jodie is a lot darker than that but if Nepenthus will grow in it it should be OK to lower the PH and will give of some tanins. I havent got a clue what TE-EM is at a gues maby a brand LOL.

Cheers

Les

PS let us know how you go