Wild Nut

Which female to use

Okay,I have finally decided to take the plunge and breed Betta splendens :dance: . This probably won't happen for another month, as I have to stockpile supplies and find a nice quality marble HMPK male.

I purchased three females from Sutee off AB (not sure when they will be arriving) and I have a female from someone who I was considering using. Anyway, assuming that my AB girls arrive alive, these are the females I will have to pick from once they get shipped over.

At this point in time, colour is more important to me than finnage although I will be doing my best to find a male with a good anal and caudal fin. I also hate the look of a heavily dipped top-line but I think these females are not that bad in that regard.

So help me choose the best-looking female out of this bunch since unless the fish is a real dud, most look the same to me.

Fidget (Sorry for the blurriness. She doesn't sit still, hence the name)

F1.jpg

F4.jpg

AB Females (Sorry about the clamped dorsals)

1. fwbettashmp1327018002.jpg

2. fwbettashmp1327018061.jpg - for some reason I really like this female

3. fwbettashmp1327018175.jpg

From a colour point of view I would pick either fidget or the last AB female. But at this stage you could probably use any of those females. In the next generation you'll have hundreds to choose from.

Just from the caudal conformation... the best are Fidget or No.2 they have the sharpest 'D' shaped caudal. They also both have a lovely parallel anal fin. The other two girls seem to have much rounder edges to the caudal and likely to give you a higher propotion on roundtail fry. Colour-wise they are all marbles... so you'll end up with an unpredictable "mixed bag" of fry colours.

Thanks for the critiques.

They are all HMPK females and the three AB ones were purchased basically for colour since marble plakats are one of my favourite types of bettas. All of them were essentially more for pets than breeding, but I figured I have some decent females so why not give breeding a shot.

At this stage it looks like Fidget might be who I go with. However, she is an aggro little thing so I hope whatever male I end up with can handle her. I do have another female of someone's who came in with Fidget (black dragon marble) but I don't think she's as nice a quality.

Now I'm just hoping any successful spawns aren't going to be like my albimarginata fry where it looks like there is 1 female and about 10 males :lol:

I always find it so disconcerting selecting fish out of water - the Thais love photographing & presenting fish like that.

Dont gettit.

Fidget is nice.... long in the body and angular topline, personally i don't like her anal fin as much as the others (more exaggerated point towards the back)

and while she has a nice edge on her caudal, her spread is limited. (i do prefer the straighter edge around the D shape of the caudal, frilly edges to me feel a bit too jagged and less geometrically balanced)

She has a nice dorsal base (nothing outstanding) but all of the dorsals seem on-par to me

1. on first impression, I like this fish the most..... (funny, nobody's mentioned her)

Much better body shape in my opinion - really lovely topline with an even arch over the back (the other two AB girls have a slight lump toward the back of the dorsal base - totally picky, yeah - but that's what you wanted!)

Tidy Anal fin with even branching, and while the caudal is slightly rounded, I'd be prepared to work with that, as she's got great spread - I'd be keen to see her flaring in water

I also like her coverage and colour, I know marble is random, but she's got a good percentage of black and dragon scaling.

2. eh, she's good. I think I just struggle with smaller spread and light body base..... now it's personal and I've forgotten how to be objective.

3. This would be my second pick - I like her, she seems to be a bit bigger than the other girls, and while that anal fin is long, it also curves upward (or seems to from the pics) so you might achieve a more balanced summetrical pk

Round edges, but good spread

Actually, changed my mind - wriggly rays on the ventral has kind of killed the mood for this one...

The bottom line is any one of these girls are going to contribute to a really nice spawn result, you're lucky to have such a good selection!! At some point you just need to be mindful of how her conformation will compliment his.

So perhaps it'll be his form that dictates which female you choose?

Oh, and robust females... don't worry about that - they are an ASSET in the spawn tank in my opinion.

Good luck!

Haha thanks for giving me so much to think about. I wish it was easy to find a nice-looking male to match with one of these females.

I would love something coloured like this

1050fm.jpg

But since the chances of that are slim, I might just go with a solid blue male. I wish some of the PK males I look at didn't have wonky anal fins. I found one I liked on AB colour wise, but his fins left a lot to be desired.

Fidget is so full of eggs at the moment she looks like she swallowed a marble. The poor boy next door keeps getting flared at if he even so much as moves.

I suppose at least when I go broke and have to live out in a box on our front lawn, I'll still have nice fish to appreciate.

I quite liked the third female due to the spread. She also has nice body form. You can always cross her offspring to an over HM with a sharp caudal down the track to cause the following generation to have a sharper and fuller spread.

The other females don't have as nice caudal and Fidget's head appears to dip slightly.

Edited by Lyarlla