Re-silicone my wild tank...

shadoh

Well, after just over a week, I have finally fixed the leaky wild tank and re-vamped it slightly...

After hiding it outside during christmas, the weather had made the paint crack and peel...

5699d827.jpg

It had also been missing one of the plastic corners from the day I bought it second hand. While I was at Bunnings, I found these metal corner thingies which were a perfect size, so I set about cutting 4 corners to size...

4e892530.jpg

There, they will look better than the original brown plastic :D

I then set about removing the old corners and silicone and scraping off the old paint...

395d3975.jpg

At this stage, I was thinking about totally pulling the tank apart, but the panels were still strongly bonded, so decided to leave it as is. This may come back to bite me later, I guess time will tell. I re-silliconed all panels and created a nice thick seal, then applied the new corner thingamajigs, which hid my first couple of mistakes with the caulking gun...

157c5670.jpg

8dacccf0.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished result...

e27804a0.jpg

Once the silicone has cured, I'll give the tank a good clean and rinse, then test for leaks. If OK, I will re-paint the back and sides (blue this time) and have fun re-scaping and setting up the Mahachai in their new home!!!

I thought about it, but from looking at the one corner that wasn't covered up, whoever cut the glass did a pretty rough job and none of the cuts were clean and smooth. Believe me when I say it looks 100% with the corners. The metal looks nice and shiny. I like shiny things :D

Probably similar to what I had in there. Mini Chain sword, HM, Val, my log with attached Java Fern and a few stem cuttings from the big tank. Maybe even a lotus (if I keep it under control and trimmed)

With a painted background, you don't have to worry about air bubbles, or the background falling off. Here is what it looked like with the black painted background...

6.jpg

It doesn't scratch the glass because you are using it flat against it. You would only scratch it if you started slashing it in frustration, and in that case, you shouldn't be around razors in the first place *lol*

I like the darker colours because they make the plants stand out. If the tank is heavily planted, you don't have to worry about reflections...

Good point Matt!

Nice job Jarrod.... aluminium corners look good on tanks...

I painted the backs of the tanks for my refurbished rack the other day - used up tins of spray paint I found in the shed - there was a metallic charcoal that looked really good....

Your plants stand out nicely against the black of this tank though - looks good....

Hey Jarrod I tried to get some of the black plastic corner strips but seeing as it all comes from over east I would have to buy it in $75. batches so now I see what silver looks like YAY Ill try that instead by the way are you setting up that tank as an NPT like the others?

Cheers

Les

Thanks Wayne. I like the aluminium too. Looks very 50's sci-fi :D Don't care that these young whippersnappers thing rimless is the way to go. I'm doing it old school *lol*

The charcoal would look nice. I've seen some painted backgrounds that graduate from a dark blue at the bottom to a pale blue at the top. That really adds depth. I almost bought a black spraypaint with glitter in it, but decided it was too over the top...lol

Amazing job J - You know me, I do love a good bloody tank flavored DIY thread!

I'll definately be painting the back of all my tanks black (just the rear, not the sides) for my new setup... it looks so smart!

Subscape have all their backgrounds (adhered) black, as the colour of the fish and plants really pop when you have good overhead lighting.

White might wash them out - but try it first with paper Matt, could look really nice and minimal.

It's also handy cos it hides the cords and powerboards tucked away (y'all know what I mean!)

Nice one - can't wait to see it painted and planted!

Tank looks great Jarrod. Loving the metal edges, looks almost like one of the fully stainless-steel rimmed, slate-bottomed tanks people used to have way back when the hobby was new. Retro FTW! (One day everything will be cool again).

Can't believe you chickened out of the glittery black.. :D