Platinum angelfish spawn log

Matt_95

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Matt

Sorry to hear about your angels. I was reading an artical and it said that if you jam the tank full of upright sticks so the angels have to go slow to get around this is suposed to mimic ther natural habitate that they spawn in they feel a lot more secure and are more likly to raise the young to full term it also said about a potery cone to lay the eggs on. I saw the artical and thought of this thread and thought maby it might help

Cheers

les

Thanks Les! I don't think I could jam the tank with sticks without shredding the plants, same with the cone, I'm assuming it's the same as the discus ones? Some come with a mesh you put over it to prevent the parents from eating the eggs. If they get their own tank I will try both of those tips, thank you :D

• 4 weeks later...

I can now confirm I have a fertile pair! I just found wriggles... After I poured a bucket of water over the apon they were using -.- looks like about 20 made it. I doubt they will survive the bettas, SAE and pencil fish but it's a start :) I am going to build them their own tank, any tank building tips Les?

I think the two I got off you Matt might be getting ready to spawn. Behavior has changed, bit of soft nipping at each other and have seen them both cleaning the one leaf of an amazon sword.

Fingers crossed. :-)

Good luck with yours Matt.

Hey Matt

Its a shame you dont live closer I went to the tip yesterday and got One X One foot tank, three X two foot tanks and two X three foot tanks and the total cost was ten dollers BARGAIN I think so.

IF I was going to purpose build a tank for angels I would have to consider the following points

!.OK so do you want functional or display or a bit of both?

Hey Matt

yes I do have some tips

Get a realy good oil filled glass cutter about $40 to $50. The cheap varieties will only give you greaf and disapointment.

get a realy good T square you can get them in vareing sizes from the glass shops

Practice cutting glass on spare or bits of broken glass

practice making some small tanks IE betta cubes. This will develop your skill at putting the silecone where you want it and it wont take to long to get the hang of it

then take the plunge and build your tank

I would add that there are sites that help you calculate the thickness of glass needed and also the layout of putting it together

Good Luck Matt

Cheers

Les

Thanks Les, I'm going to have the glass cut at the shop, whenever I cut stuff it is always skew-if no matter how many times I measure.

The tank will be both display and functional, I'm going to try your idea with the vertical branches, if I get a light I will grow broadleaf chains word on the bottom. The tank size I am looking at is a 45cm cube, lots of room for a pair :) I think I will need 4mm glass. But will double check, have already found the calculators.

I was thinking of practicing on making tanks for my inverts, that way if they leak it's no biggie but I will also try betta cubes thanks Les :)

They ate all the babies on the apon but I found a second teeny patch on a crypt leaf with around 20 wrigglers on it. They are being great parents.

On a side not, I have started calling these philapean blues as the breeder who discovered this fish intended for them to be called that.

Hey Matt

3mm would be ok for a 45cm cube at least thats what my charts say. the artical I read with the vertical branches recons it gives them more confidence and they feel safer from preditors so the dont have a tendancy to snack and dont forget the water some Black water products are good but I think you have the mind that could work out a home made recipe then you can thread that for us all. I am realy excited to hear about the progress you make on the projects

Good Luck

Cheers

les

Thanks Les :) I will be using bamboo, I will probably char it first as I like the darker look. I will use my usual mix of meleaulca, IAL and mangrove leaves and I may also try lemon grass :)

Recipe for what?

Lost this batch as well. I think they may have hatched and been eaten, they looked almost free swimming last nigh...