Sign in to follow this  
peach

New boy.

Here's a photo of my first boy that I bought from my LFS.

Got sold to me as a blue delta tail. Not too sure if he is. Could be a hm.

His ventral fins are slightly red, the only red on him & they curl? Not too sure if that's bad.

He's being housed with two Cory catfish in a 36L & seems happy so far.

imagewpqi.jpg

Edited by peach

Nice couler and he looks like a very nice boy will you try and take pics of him Flaring so we can see him showing off that way somone may be able to critique him

He looks like a very nice boy to start off with

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

Hey Peach,

He's quite handsome, and certainly a far cry better than the fish I began my Betta keeping projects with - nice one!

Where are they selling SD/HM in Sydney?

Genetically he seems to be a metallic mostly full-mask royal blue (however lighting and flash can really affect the way metallics look)

Technically yes, the curly ventrals aren't ideal, but we've all got a curly ray somewhere in the collection - some argue that it's environmental, some argue that it's genetic.

However I've had three of my lovely Salamander boys in exactly the same arrangement since hatching, and one has curly toes, the others don't.

If you were to put him in a show, he'd be marked down for curly ventrals and not spreading to full 180 degrees, if that's the case - but you might be able to help him out by taking him to the "gym" every now and then by putting a mirror up to him and letting him flare daily for a period of time - say 20 mins? ...this has been known to strengthen the caudal (in fact all the bases of the fins) and help with spread.

It's argued that females kept in sorority situations don't flare as much, so therefore have more "potential" to be HM but don't demonstrate it, because u want them to be peaceful.

Woah... this is a diatribe.

Have a look at the metallic combinations you'll get if you breed him with teal / turquoise / steel or royal blue - it's fascinating.

But we'll need a better pic to do a full critique.

From what I can see he has a strong body a full dorsal, a bit of a bumpy top-line (easily fixed with a smooth female) and good colour.

Cheers,

Ness

Sign in to follow this