Subscape Betta Barracks [product development]

melbournebetta

I would raise your intake for the filter. Last thing you want is your whole tank to drain and leave you fish high and dry if a problem occurs.

Looks good Ness. :-)

Edited by Busman

Thanks Bussy - yes! I will do this thing you say.... I could always alter the end for sucking up the goo at the bottom of the tanks when I do weekly maintenance. bloody good tip son.

Fortunately that's the only cell that would empty (bad luck to the little mate on the end) he'd end up with a few cms where the grill on the intake starts and the actual tube stops.

The rest of them would be saved by the grills that are about half way up the height of the cells (approx 25 cm high)

I was filling these up last night in my mania (woo) and realised what I thought was a mistake by my talented tank maker, actually saved my life - the opposite problem is OVER FLOW... if one cell has water pouring in, but has java stuck over the grill at the back, there's about 5-8 mm clearance where the barrack walls are lower than the actual tank walls - so water would over flow into the next cell and flow out the back.

CLEVER

@ Ash - Temperature is an interesting one - my bedroom gets down to 12 degrees as I do have a window ajar at all times to allow for a bit of air flow, and to reduce insane moisture.

I have a 100watt Aqua one heater in the back, set at 28, as I know there is often a bit of loss in temperature with canisters as the water cools down when it goes through the Eheim.

I have two thermostats on at the moment, one in the cell nearest the heater, and one at the end heater - thusfar they've been checked in the day and have been the same (26c) but thanks Ash, I might check it again later at night and early in the morning to see that it's stable.

To be honest I wouldn't have a problem keeping my fish at 24, just so long as it was stable.... I found putting a lid on tanks that have irratic heating can sometimes help contain the heat somewhat... from what I recall you had a top end heater in there... but your environmental factors are more extreme.

you know how you can put a solid piece of plastic at the back of a tank, or paint the back (usually so you can't see cords etc) Would you consider using a sheet of poly foam across the back, it would act as a white backdrop, but woud also be a whole wall of insulation and one less wall that the tank is loosing heat from. (just a thought)

Also Yes, I will be carding half the barracks, I had always thought I would card the whole wall except the front 10 cms so they can flare at the front and wag their tails for me... but now that I'm using them as introduction tanks and acutally spawning tanks occasionally - I will card the front sides about an A4 sheet so they have privacy and an IAL to make a nest and meet and greed their ladies.

It's a bit cheeky, but I do long introductions and only let the girls out when I'm watching - they also have large fake plants up the back to hide in.... this is when I turn the taps down to a low flow

If there's a successful wrap, I then transfer dad and nest and tails into their own tank... totally disturbing, but it's worked.

Battery Hens Betta

@ Razzi - I was inspired, I went to Subscape, bought an Eheim, had my car Towed, cost me $350 to get out of the pound, then found a $150 bill on my windscreen and thought: You know what? All that has done is take an hour out of my plan to get to bunnings before it closes and buy irrigation parts. Here Victoria Government, please take away the equivalent of a month's rent from me and then get out of my way. I need plastic taps for my BARRACKS. (yo)

@ Les - go to Riot art (can be bought online), or Lincraft sell the same product for heaps more $$ Anyway my sheets were $2 each and the poster edges can be bought for around $8 for 2 x 1 meter strips - also available at Kmart.

The mesh is an idea Razzi showed me during a skype chat, firm enough, and I noticed the fish aren't really interested in flaring through it.... needs to be secured tho.. Bit flimsy

@Shadoh - THANKYOU! I haven't made it beautiful by any means, but this is my way of making my fishy setup more enjoyable to just observe... instead of feeling the spooky pressure of breeding allatime. (toats self inflicted)

So I need to read up again on how to prime a new filter, there is a really small bio load on this 80lt tank, each fish has 10cm wide bay, 6.5 litres (okay say 6 cos I don't fill it to the top)

Otherwise they get 3 lt each for the old retired boys, in a high quality water system, plants n stuff.... I think that's orright.

Will do checks on water chem to ensure it's all going well.... the IAL should have the tank looking dark soon enough.

I thought I could even put my guppy fry in the back section to grow out? - as it's nolonger used as a sump and they won't be big enough to get through the grill holes... hmmm... something to think about down the track WHEN I get guppy babiez

YEE HAW (diy)

I love the back section of my barracks. I have a male roaming loose, a male in a breeders' box and my eaten up boy in one of those HOB air pump powered breeders' boxes. I was contemplating putting in some shower caddies with some peace lilies to suck up excess nutrients.

I'm constructing a polystyrene box to go around the back and sides of my barracks just for winter and autumn and am thinking of getting a lid cut to cut down on evaporation.

Having a barracks set-up makes it so much easier. I can't believe you had yours empty and neglected OUTSIDE. If you can find someone strong enough to lift the bloody thing they are a great time/space saver.

Hahahahha I'm beginning to wonder how the hell I let it live outside now - although the STUPID Eheim is very noisy... I had ear plugs in last night - missed my alarm and woke up at 11 - oops.

I may very soon find myself un-employed.

ah well

got barracks

dont care!

Would trapped air cause it to make a noise?

My experience with an Eheim filter was watching one back-siphon 10 or so litres of water onto my carpet :lol: so ignore what is possibly an idiotic assumption.

• 3 months later...

PS this barracks is the SHIZ - The eheim shut up and the tank is a stable table.

I have water changed about 50% maybe twice since I set it up - and probably done one quick vac on the floor otherwise.

The biggest problem is the bloody algae that grows on the black plastic irrigation, but that's more about light maintenance.

Very happy.... I have carded the kids with A4 black plastic dividers, and use 3 of the 7 bays as spawn tanks at all times... just about.

Naughty guppies sometimes end up in the back sump to grow out, they quite like it in there, I also have a java fern nursery in there too.

Verdict: It's a win for the people.

Hey Suss,

I'll be in there on Monday so I can ask for you - we really need to get the pricing structure organised.

Maybe measure up where you think it will go and have a think about how many bays you want (i.e how many fish will go in there) and we can get some drawings together for you!

Actually... now that I think of it - there's one that they made up a while back - it's got a sump in the back and is a bit different to my design - I'll photograph it and post on the forum next week.

Cheers,

Ness

That would be great Ness, Its a bit of a hike for me to get to richmond as im on the opposite side of the city. It would be great to find out if there is anything similar currently available. I would like to have one with the same amount of bays as yours or a 10 bay. I have a place for it already (I already been organizing my new show room).

Thanks again for your help Ness you've been awesome!

Muss

• 7 years later...