Rescape!

Since I have finished all of my exams I decided I should buy myself a present :D I ordered giant blyxa, mayaca, rotala sp. green, rotala rotundiflora, star grass and a couple of others I have forgotten. The tank is viewable from 2 angles, one straight on and one from my bed :) I like the view when I am in bed as it has heaps of depth :D Its supposed to be an island of plants at the back consisting of mayaca, various rotalas, star grass, vesuvius sword, limnophila aromatica and some others with a lawn of glosso. I ran out of glosso so I got some elatine from the creek near my school today :)Will update as I go.

Front on, please excuse the mess I had just sirred up.

IMG_5970-1.jpg

Side view, sorry about the cords and filter in the way, I cant have it behind the plants because I need to rinse the pre filter often.

IMG_5966-1.jpg

Thanks guys, I was orignaly trying to propagte enough plants from a few peices I laready had but got fed up so its kinda the end half of a rescape lol.

The filter is only to connect the chiller up.

Planted all the plants except the elatine (this will take an hour or two) Waiting for the water to clear.

No piccies yet, not happy with the layout...

I got all the new plants from Jeff atLiverpool Creek The plants were imaculate and he was very generous with his portions. Same as always :D He's restocked well after Yasi, I remember sending a heap of plants down to help him re-stock after loosing almost everything. I recomend you give him a look next time your looking for new plants, he has something for everyone. Drooling over te hmadagascar lace :drool:

Hey Matt,

Have you considered a HOB as a filter for this tank? I'm a strong believer of HOBs for small tanks and it allows more space in the tank too. You can get a small heater that fits in the HOB and save on electricity as well.

That is what I have done in my 45cm cube. Works really well.

Great gift idea by the way :) Did you buy the plants as an early Christmas gift or do you have more exotic plants lined up for Christmas?

Looking forward to the updates.

I had a HOB filter to help with circulation but it didn't really help get flow through the "island" you can't put a chiller on a HOB either. The filter is purely for circulation and the chiller. Helps pick up dirt when I move plants aswell.

The plants were a pressie for myself finishing grade 10, I had been neglecting my tanks for a few weed while I had assesment. I'm going to start dosing EI in my 4 foot so I can finally use the 6kg cylinder I bought past summer and so I can get some Tonia and keep my red plants red :) hoping to get some goodies from Jeff for christmas ^_^

Oh I don't need heating over summer either, far to hot for that I keep the tank at 23 degrees.

It's expenisive and I like having a substrate that will take care of everything. I do have some mixed in with the sand and around the new stems though.

I've got an Otto, I don't want to loose any baby shrimp, ottos are the only 100% shrimp safe fish. All I get is a little green algae on the glass everyfew months. Algae isn't a problem for me. The tank looks much greener than it is, it's the camera, usually my photos come out more red or more green.

I should paint the back black as well, hate seeing the wall.

She knos me so well lol.

The plans for this tank is for it to look nice and breed my CRS hopefully some higher grades.

Jeff has great plants and is very generous.

Looks like I might have spare elatine, no promises but does anyone want it?

Here yo go, as you can see there is some algae, you can see where I cleaned it off a few weeks ago, I got bored and didn't finish. Comments and critisizm please. The fissidens rock is going its just in there for now. I am putting my lilly pipes in at some stage as well. The plants will be trimmed down low when they have tacken root and a activly growing. So they are a bit to tall.

IMG_5972.jpg

Have planted all of teh elatine, hopefully I can keep it growing low, usually it seems to be a fe wcm high and it rambles a bit.

Oh, does anyone have any idea how I can keep the blyxa aubertii in the substrate? It keeps floating out and its hard to constatly replant since it is in the back corner and hard to reach.

Where did you get your fisendens from Matt? I am told it makes a tidy wall better that Java. I have looked over hear but cant find any it is alowed hear but no one is stocking just like subwasatang its only just available I got mine interstate

Cheers

Les

That one is glorious fissidens, a native, you can collect a few species from the wild. I think that peacock or Xmass make some of the best ones though :D

There has been a lot of US fissidens for sale on Aquariumlife recently but most seems to be in NSW.

Is there anyway to get plants over to you?

I have heaps of peacock moss, its one of my favourites, very lush, I don't have enough fissidens to sell though... Express postage would be $10. Early next year I will also have mini pelia. I'm hoping to go mossing in thenext few weeks for somenew species of fissidens so will let you know if I find anything.