holiday advice needed

catfishbone

Hi all,

I need some advise of what should I do to my fishes when I go on holiday. At the end of the year I will be going overseas for almost a month and I am still trying to find someone to help me to look after my fishes while am gone.

My tanks are around 1ft, 34lt and less.

In the 34lt tank i have these species: a pair of blue ram, a royal whiptail, an ember tetra, 2 female guppies for the panda guppies. In the same tank, I have an fry raise tank to keep all my male guppies, at the moment I have 5 panda guppies, 2 endlers and 3 hybrid tuxedo 'endler'... :D also in the same tank I have another fry raise tank to keep my endler's female. Out side the same tank, I have another fry raise tank with a pair of macrostoma in it.

I have another tank I just setup as planted tank but awaiting for dwarf chiclids to arrive.

My 1ft bare tank currently a house to 3 female guppies for my hybrid tuxedo 'endler' guppies.

What I will do to my 1ft tank is to fill it with soil and probably put some plants in it so this will give places for the macrostoma to hide from each other.

In case I can't find anyone to look after my fishes, I'm planning to get those tetra's holiday food and buy lots of blackworms and dump it in each aquariums and wrap my aquariums with glad wrap to reduce the amount of water to vaporize.

Do you think this will work for a month ?? or do you have any other suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Andrie

Thanks for your help Neffy.

I do have automatic feeder for my 3fter but with my smaller tank I don't think I can use automatic feeder as macrostoma is known as excellent jumper and I also witness some of my guppies are jumpers too ... so can't really risk on having it open top ... :(

Thanks for your suggestion tho ... does anyone have any other suggestions ????

Cheers,

Andrie

for a 34 litre tank - yours sounds VERY busy if it has two fry savers and an external hang on tank for macrostomas ..... It may be impossible to maintain that arrangement simply by glad wrapping the tank for 4 weeks.... An established 500 litre (or bigger) pond would work on its own for that time but not such small environments as 34 litre tanks....

Ask your LFS to look after the fish for you - or in a place the size of Sydney surely there is a pet sitting service that could feed the fish and top up water a couple of times a week....

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your suggestion ... :D

I know my 34lt tank is pretty busy ... for the size of it with 3 fry savers (2 internal and 1 external) ... :blush:

Anyway ... I have made some arrangements with the fishes

With the 1 footer bare bottom tank, I transform them into a planted tank ... :D fingercross the plant will grow within this 1 month period so that will serve a lot of hiding place for the guppies and apisto

This is how it looks like now ... :D and what so called hybrid tuxedo'endler' moved in

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catfishbone/6334565300/

This is how my 34lt tank looks like before

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catfishbone/6334560552/

I took both internal fry saver and only have the macs still hanging outside ... :D - endlers guppies reside here

I have this other setup for my macs ... already shut all the holes so there shouldn't be any holes for the escape artist

this is how the tank looks like .... :D - panda guppies moved in to this tank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catfishbone/6333809505/

I will still try to get my mates to look after it otherwise have to rely on the holiday food thingy and bunch of blackworms.

Cheers,

Andrie

With such small water volumes its pretty important that they are fully established before you go and that you feed up the fish with lots of good food before you leave.... then hope the worms or your friend can come in and help out with feeding while you're away.....

A friend of mine had "lost" a betta splendens once - put it in a container on a shelf while cleaning tanks - about 5 weeks later they found it on the shelf - still swimming round in 1cm of water! It's now almost 3years old but slowing down a fair bit .... so you might get away with what you propose yet :)

Hope it all works out for you - especially the macs - even see if some of the Sydney members can baby sit them for you perhaps?

For that period of time I'd suggest an aquarium maintence person, Michael at Aquavision is an awesome guy, I know him personally. :)

Blackworms are unlikely to survive that amount of time in a fish tank. Mine never last that long, I've had them start to rot within a day before.

I'm most concerned about the Macrostoma pair. A monkey could look after the rest of the fish but I wouldn't risk the Macs!