Fixing a leaky tank?

SiameseFightingFist

What do you guys do to fix a leaky tank? I was at Big W and Bunnings and wasn't sure which sealant to use. I don't trust the ones that don't mention anything about toxicity on the labels, and I certainly don't trust the ones that say 'low toxicity'.

Is it as easy as applying sealant?

The 88L tank I bought on eBay looks like someone had tried to fix the leak with a blotch of sealant in the corner but clearly it's leaking again, I don't know if it's because the tank has been dry for a while.

I would use a razor to remove as much of it as i could, you could also use isopropyl alcohol (someone else has recommended it on here before) to get rid of any left over. Works well.

Nicola is right, Selley's glass has use for aquariums on the front.

Thanks Nicola and dwalk. Shelley's Glass Silicone it is, I'll look out for it at Bunnings (although I think it's also sold at Safeway).

The glass of the tank looks alright, I think it's more the part where two glass walls are held together by the usual rubbery material on the inside and a metal frame on the outside. It looks like the metal frame is sort of coming away by the tiniest margin at the corner.

http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11667

Always good to do a search for the answer before posing the question, more often than not, you're not the first person to ask the question!

Lots of info on friendly sealants on that thread, be careful of buying something that hasn't been tested.

Safe than sorry!

x

If you don't want to use gloves, but still want to straighten out your silicone as you lay it down, try dipping your fingers in Liquid sugar Soap. Stops the silicone sticking to them. (Old tilers trick for Bathroom Silicone)