melbournebetta

Turquoise BF HM x Royal-BF-Mustard gas Spawn

Hi PaigeH,

The surplus A grade stock from this spawn will be offered up for sale at some point, but let's get them through the thousand firey hoops that is betta raising first!

Y'all be the first to know if and when there are fish for sale.

(;

Cheers Roy - very interested to see what colour the results will be !

squeeeeeeeee

IMG_2494.jpg

fed microworms today.... totally over-did it... they aren't really looking for food like hungry hungry hippos... note to self - clean bottom of tank soon.

wish dad would chill.

they look & move like fleas.

not a big head-count.

IMG_2504.jpg

x

Hey Jarrod,

To be honest I haven't really decided, because this is the first spawn back after a biiiiiig break, I'm just going to feel it out (if you know what I mean) and be really reactive - instead of deciding on what I want to do beforehand.

Dad's chill at the moment with the kids, chasing them around, still spitting them back into the nest, but they'll get more and more independent and defiant.

I guess if he's getting all neurotic (which he is currently, he even swears at me under his breath when I come close to feed the other fish.) And if he can't relax when they're getting all zippy around the tank, then he can go.

See how it pans out..... I'm also watching for tears in finnage, this guy got caught in the siphon a while back and is still re-growing 80% of his caudal (oops)

Don't want to put too much pressure on the fella...... he's got another spawn lined up down the track (;

-Ness

Dam that is one nice looking Fish. Cant wait to see what you will have for sale from these ones:-D Good work Ness

excelent pics as always Ness love the look on Dads face I think thats one every father has at some stage LOL

Cheers

les

PS Good Luck

Dad the Neurotic Turq is having a lovely time, he's still building nests and cubby houses for the kids - but they're bottom dwellers.

I can count around 20 at any given time, so there's a handful.

There aren't too many shots of little silvery blobs with eyeballs, because I keep getting flashes of white and angry turquoise in the lense... infact, I'm going to call him "the bouncer."

IMG_2551.jpg

Isn't that tragic? Once they spawn they get a name.... anyway - ignore the java fern for a moment and focus on something else out of focus:

IMG_2570.jpg

Nice composition - nice focus, pity the fry isn't in focus - but shhhhhhh...

They're coming along on MW meals twice or thrice a day, I would feed VE but it's soooooo boring to organize.

However I'm going to have to work out BBS soon... no cysts that i've got from last year want to play ball!

Ho Well - off to Subscape on Friday to get my new tanks, I'll see if he's got any.

They are growing really rapidly!

How long has it been now? I've done a few water top-ups, one 20% in the first few days cos it was really hot & the tank began to shrink, and just recently another 50%

I'll probably do a gently chopstick + airline siphon/vacum as the floor is getting a TINY bit grubby and I'm a clean-freak.

Top it up after that. (they don't seem to mind, the bouncer on the other hand gets right pissed if I do ANYTHING near the tank) poor old sod just flares at me now.

Disinterested in the kids, and I'm feeding him in just one corner of the tank, a mixture of floating pellets and freeze dried bloodworm.

I'm hesitant to feed him live foods, as I want to discourage eating small wriggly things (for obvious reasons)

He seems happy in there for now.

-Ness

p.s.

any good looking mods that want to move this thread to the more appropriate one (I'm having a mental blank... whats the spawn log one called?)

ANYWAY that's why we pay YOUSE the big bucks.

kthxbai

So they spawned on the 7th of Nov, they're all of 12 ish days old, more like 10 since they were free swimming...

I've left them to their own devices for food for the first 2 days.... (plenty of applesnail infusoria / live plants)

Since then they've been on MW and SOME VE 2-3 times a day.

My BBS hatching efforts have been failures, I didn't keep my cysts refrigerated from last year and now they're all use lsess... so Justin @ subscape has given me some hot tips on hatching.

(i.e. overload on the bicarb and salt, heat, light, and refrigerate them between! - also dont use tank water - fresh tap water is fine and the chlorine helps de-shell)

They're all currently in the spawn tank, but once my new barracks are set up, I plan on moving them via the wet'n'wild slide that is my siphon. (also need to wait till I get the 3ft grow-out from Hai for this)

It's a bit of over-kill for a small spawn, but I plan on putting together all my spawns in the same grow-out (might even get a 4 footer for this) and have them separated with mesh, filtered, and then it's just ONE big water change daily.

Really want to experiment with accelerating growth (being a small clutch this shouldn't be too hard) there's going to be anywhere from 20-40 fry... that's my estimate, but like I said, I keep piling in the plants - so who knows!

Huge leaps in growth over the 10 days.... and added 2 apple snails (who are more interested in plants than vacuuming) but they are really handy keeping the floor clean & eating excess MW so as not to foul the tank.

Oh, and as I'm a bit rough n tumble, there's been several water changes and top-ups, as it's a small tank it really evaporates quite a bit.

Impending photoshoot when they move tanks next week..... I'll shoot the whole spawn tank as-is, along with the 'after' of the upgrade-grow-out.

x

That all sounds great, I am sure you will get the growth you are after with these efforts cant wait to see how they turn out

Cheers

les

18 days and the kids are between 4 and 6 mm long

11thspawn%20fry2weeksold.jpg Two weeks old: 0.25 inches long. (Starting to show dorsal fins.)

11thspawnfry3weeksold.jpg Three weeks old: 0.34 inches long

(As a reference, the line below is one inch long.)

I'm having a bugger of a time getting BBS to play, keep mixing up my methods but nothing is really working - they're on MW, and I really need to put some energy into VE more often.

argh... bloody BBS

whysohardfor.

Hi Ness I was under the impresion that VE didnt have much nutrition it was just a filler untill yhay got on to BBS. I dont have any luck with BS so I do use Hikari first Bites it is for discus fry and is formulated to suspend in the water as discus fry have such small mouths (the same size as Betta fry) it is ideal and they thrive on a combination of MW, Hikari First Bites (for discua) and Egg yolk. the egg yolk isnt as messy as people make it out to be as long as you dont over feed.

Your fry pics look great and they are so healthy I cant wait for them to couler up allready LOL

Cheers

Les

hmmm not a bad idea for the little month old kids i'm growing out for razzi, but they're really REALLY little... wrigglers would have to be really tiny.

I wonder if Justin has any hatched BBS... (subscape) GAH! I can't dooooooo ittttttttttttt *winge*

I don't actually know how to find the mozzie rafts (never seen 'em) just get the big sized ones from my 44 gallon drum in the backyard- they seem old enough to get ready to fly off (and they DO fly off in my bedroom if the fish are too slow)

the mewly hatched wrigglers are quite small; just a little longer than bbs in my opinion.

there's a link on the front page somewhere on rafts. just inspect your drum surface carefully.

once you know what they look like they're easy to spot. i think they look a little like lego

or something digital because of the squarish, jagged edges :P

the mewly hatched wrigglers are quite small; just a little longer than bbs in my opinion.

there's a link on the front page somewhere on rafts. just inspect your drum surface carefully.

once you know what they look like they're easy to spot. i think they look a little like lego

or something digital because of the squarish, jagged edges :P

http://ausaqua.net/files/mozzies1.html Is that what you are talking about??

Edited by Nicola

Thanks guys! I'll keep trying BLOODY BBS in the meantime.

I just spotted dad chasing one of the fry, they've al had dinner, so he's in a little holding tank having some quiet time... could be time to pop him in another barracks and let the kids growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Are you heating the brine shrimp hatching medium? And have good eggs? Hatching bbs isn't hard. You just have to tick all the boxes.

1. Good quality eggs

2. Correct hatching solution

3. Aeration

4. Temperature about 27 deg

Most instructions also recommend a light but I don't bother with that because I get a good enough hatch without it.

The photos won't change your life, but the little noodles are showing some irids and I'm seeing turq and blue under the torchlight.... photo OP! (23 days old)

I'm having better luck with BBS, but only marginally - still on MW 50/50%

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3320-1.jpgIMG_3312.jpgIMG_3311.jpgIMG_3306.jpg