Mysterious fish...

kertaz

I was looking at my black worm tank at a glance and something caught my eye. Something small and swam fairly fast. I thought I was imagining things, so I inspected further and found it. At first I thought it was some insect or something, but after further inspection, it seems like a fish fry... It resembles corydoras fish VERY greatly; both in the way it swims and in its body anatomy.

P1000558.jpg

P1000559.jpg

P1000567.jpg

P1000570.jpg

P1000572.jpg

But I thought it's pretty slender for a cory. For now, I put it in small chinese container and gave some MW in case its actually cory. And float it in my cory tank.

Before I put black worm in this tank, I did put 3 corydoras pygmaeus for about a week or so while waiting for the bigger one to house them. When they moved, I cleaned the tank and put in black worms. Also, the pattern doesn't seem like corydoras pygmaeus' pattern, so.. uh.. what is this thing? :confused:

The patterns do look similar to the oto in SFF's link.

One thing is that if it's tropical fish, how could it survive in such freezing temperature in the worm tank (it's unheated, and when water changes come, I didn't heat the water and just drop in fresh cold water from tap with dechlorinator). Even my hand felt very cold when I need to harvest the worms.

Joan, when your cory was a fry, did they have long barbels? (more like a whisker on this one)

Somehow, this one got a long barbel to body ratio compared to other cories that I've had.. (bottom view)

P1000578.jpg

Hoplo catfish also seems a candidate.. especially since the patterns can still develop. But I think the pattern would be too different from cory pygmy..

I don't know where I should keep it? It survived thru weeks (I think) of water changes at blackworm tank's harsh temperature, should I just put it back in blackworm tank?

As Busman said.. How did it even get there? The blackworms carry fish egg and raise it themselves? :confused: Because I never put any fry food inside the worm's tank..

Doesn't look like a cory (wrong shape, wrong pattern) or oto (barbels) fry to me. Honestly couldn't say what it is, what a strange critter. Raise it!

If you are going to move it into a real tank make sure you acclimatize it extremely slowly to avoid a big temperature shock.

could be dragonfly wiggler

No. Please not that. Lol. It doesn't have legs! (or not yet) But it got fishy fins, and body not as long as dragonfly nymph. Hopefully not that, at least :lol:

It's the size where it's big enough to eat BBS and I haven't got any BBS hatchery at the moment, so MW gonna have to volunteer themselves.

Could it be a loach of any kind?

I don't mind raising it as long as I don't need a dedicated tank for it. At the moment, it's still floating in cory tank in the small chinese container.

If I do raise it, what do you all suggest the water condition be? I didn't do anything for the black worm tanks except dechlorinate the water and occasionally put some random things in it for their food, so pretty much at a loss.. :confused:

Thanks all for the input. Really appreciated :)

Thanks paulman. I've decided to raise this kid up in floating container until it get slightly bigger, then hopefully it can go along well with other cory. I can't give it BBS until saturday though. So it has to do with MW 'til then.

Will update this topic in the future :cheer: