New pond on it's way!

My husband and I went and ordered our custom-made pond yesterday. It measures 3.5 metres x 1.5 metres x 0.9 metres deep. We're only burying 400mm of the 900mm depth, and the rest will be above ground with a wooden bench seat and decking all the way around it. Now to wait patiently for it to be made. They are hopeful for before christmas but cannot guarantee it.

I asked the lady at the fibreglassing place about how many times we would have to flush the water out when we first set it up, but she said it would be fine to just fill and add fish. Has anyone dealt with this before?

I would treat it like a tank. Fill it, treat with dechlorinator and let the temp stabilize. Then use some sludge buster, I bought from an aquarium, it's basically a huge hit of good bacteria, then add my fish. I guess a week before adding fish? Would use the same principle with the pond as a tank, don't add too many fish at once. Add some, then wait a few weeks to add more.

Just a guess really but it's what I would do. Can't wait to see photos. Can you please take one before you start then progression photos. Pleeeeease. :-).

Good luck.

I would try getting a few plants in first water lillies for starters as they are just starting to come up here in melbourne.

They can be a little expensive to buy so if you know someone who has some to split, take advantage of it.

Any other pond plants will also help and there is a variety that can be found at nurserys,but keep a watch on them as some can take over very quick

Are you runnining filtration on the pond?

I am guuesing your concern is the chemicals from the fiberglass? from my understanding once the fiberglass is cured it should be fine but start of slow as mentioned treat it the same as starting a new tank add the fish in small amounts and increase over a period of time.

we are coming into summer soon and depending on the location of your pond you need to remember you maybe fighting things like low oxygen levels due to heat, green water and just the whole new setup syndrome.

Just take your time dont rush it

Ray

Hi Alison,

Rinse the pond first making sure any left over residue is removed before puting it in place then once this is done it should be good to fill. The place I work at has fibreglass repairs done all the time and once it has been washed out it is food safe. Then follow other advice given as to treating water before adding fish. HTH. Cant wait to see the pics. Maybe make it a progression thread.

Regards

Zui (Andy)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :) :)

Yes I think I will treat the water before adding any fish. Yes you are correct Ray, we will probably be setting this up right in the middle of summer, so will have to be careful. I was thinking about getting some wakin goldfish (since I can't have my Koi), but I might start with a couple of standard comets from the local pet store before I go buying a more expensive goldfish. I would love nothing more than to go and buy 60 fish and put them all in.... but I know I shouldn't!!

The pond will get little to no shade, so I am definitely going to have to look at some good plants that will create some cover.

Thanks again for the tips :) :) And I will definitely post pics for you all.

Are you runnining filtration on the pond?

Yes we will be. I still have to do some homework on this. My husband thought just a filter you put in the pond would be sufficient, but I think with the volume of water we may need to look at an external filter. Especially as I want the water to remain as clear as possible.

I would treat it like a tank. Fill it, treat with dechlorinator and let the temp stabilize. Then use some sludge buster, I bought from an aquarium

We are out of town and only have tank water, so do you think I need to treat the water with a dechlorinator or just use the sludge buster type bacteria?