Tadpoles Morphing!

kandeecane

So I have a 2ft tank... For the past 8 months-ish we've had tadpoles in it..

As of yesterday I just noticed that we have 3 small frogs and a few in their later morphing stage (Have one little guy that's a frog with a tail!!!)

They aren't really my tadpoles... My boyfriend's mother saved them from her pool as eggs and put them in her fishtank where they hatched and such way before I moved in. And we haven't even changed the water since *slaps self on hand*

Considering these guys have fought through all of that and are, to say the least, survivors... I think maybe I should start taking a little care of them. People have told me they might be Marsh Frogs... I'm guessing of the striped variety.

Here's a photo of one of them :)

298082_283193865035031_100000332590287_9

Adorable little guy eh?

Trouble is... I don't know the FIRST thing about keeping frogs or tadpoles... And anything special I need to do in their morphing stage. I might have to go buy them some bloodworm and prime. Also how do I move them out of the tank to do some renovations without hurting them and keeping them safe? Obviously putting a frog in a bucket isn't going to work. maybe a large tupperware container with water and somewhere to climb out of??? with the lid letting air in? I don't know.

Is there any electronic equipment I need to put in there? Gravel or sand? Etc etc.

Also with the bloodworm.. Not sure where to GET them live but would live be preferable to frozen?

Edited by Kandee

Your in QLD so you can keep up to two adults without a license if they were caught on your property. The rest must be released where they came from. If you arn't prepared to care for them I would release them all if it were me, I wouldn't want to stress them or harm them in anyway. They could eat pin heads and require a terrestrial environment. A google search should answer your questions, they look like stripped marshies.

I'm actually in NSW at the moment. They've been meaning to release them into the creek down the road but never got around to it... At least where they are now it's away from the chlorinated pool. We plan on releasing them but I'm not entirely sure it'll be safe to release them into the creek in the morphing state they're in.. Considering how long they've been in that tank. :/

So they are semi aquatic so they live on the fringes of ponds and damp areas. If the eggs were found on that property the parents must be living there fine. Its my experiance that they don't need a body of water to live in but others may differ. They should be fine where you found them originally once they have morphed.

I'm 99% sure its illegal to move tadpoles and frogs from the property it was found on so you really should release them back there, NSW laws may differ slightly but they should be pretty close.

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/tadpoles/index.html

They are cute. Lucky you - I have never had any luck with tadpoles.

I would suggest maybe putting in something that floats so they can get out of the water if they need to.

Unfortunately it looks like you need a licence in NSW to have frogs. I can't open Matt's link, but this confirms that you need to release them where you found them. It also has some more info that maybe helpful with links to other froggie sites and links to getting a licence if you decide to

http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/wildlifelicences/caringforfrogs.htm

I used to raise green tree frogs from tadpoles up in the NT its such a nice experiance watching them morph, we would release them when they where a decent size back into our garden and it was always lovely spotting them sitting arround the house as they grew up. We fed the morphlings on the tinyest mealworms we could get from the container, we would even cut the mealworms in half but as they stop moving its difficult to convince them to eat it, so we wiggled them with a toothpick till the frog took it required alot of patience.

Try get some pinheads otherwise they might starve and they would do much better as morphlings in the garden where you got them from, catching mites and other tiny insects we couldnt see then in a container. Make sure they have plenty to climb on to in the tank as they morph so they dont drown!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to raise green tree frogs from tadpoles up in the NT its such a nice experiance watching them morph, we would release them when they where a decent size back into our garden and it was always lovely spotting them sitting arround the house as they grew up. We fed the morphlings on the tinyest mealworms we could get from the container, we would even cut the mealworms in half but as they stop moving its difficult to convince them to eat it, so we wiggled them with a toothpick till the frog took it required alot of patience.

Try get some pinheads otherwise they might starve and they would do much better as morphlings in the garden where you got them from, catching mites and other tiny insects we couldnt see then in a container. Make sure they have plenty to climb on to in the tank as they morph so they dont drown!

They have PLENTY to climb on... A huge rock in the middle of the tank that slopes out of it. :)

At the moment 6 of the 11 have morphed into frogs - soon to be 7. :)

Started feeding the tadpoles boiled lettuce moving on to frozen when the lettuce I have freezes.

A picture of their terrarium and one of them watching me play on Facebook yesterday. xD

Edit: I need to get more gravel for it so they can have a deeper swimming pool. :( They do love to dive when they go swimming I noticed.

295955_291113940909690_100000332590287_9

166938_291114360909648_100000332590287_9

Edited by Kandee