Recycling WC water?

mumofthehoarde

Hypothetical:

50 jarred juvies in 1L beanie boxes. 100% WC every 2 days = 750L per month just on water changes.

Can you somehow reuse the water? Could you "filter" it in a planted uninhabited tank? or add it to filtered tank for future use? Could juvie WC water be used to top our 350L tanks?

Water is a premium out here when it doesnt rain and we have a lot of babies rapidly growing up. How can we recycle WC water so arent just tipping on the garden or down the sink?

get something like an IBC (holds 1000litres so should do your monthly water easily) and run a fluid bed filter on it - should get rid of the ammonia / nitrites easily and then just grow a lot of plants in it to soak up the nitrates - something like frogbits floating would do it easily (can give you heaps if you want it)..... can double as a huge growout tank for fish as well.....

All my water changes go on the Bananas, Pawpaw, and lemon trees and the black worm water as well it realy dose bring on vegies as well. I have never reused water for other fish, Not saying you shouldnt Just saying I chose to use it on the garden and use conditioned for the fish

Cheers

les

I use mine to water the pot plants inside and out. I also use some to top up my blackworms' tank.

I might look into your idea more Wayne. I've always wondered if there was some way you could recycle water so it was fish safe again. My dad would be all over that. He about cries when he sees me pouring fish water down the sink.

Mum, had you mentioned running hydroponics at your place? Vaguely recall you posting something about this in the "addiction" thread. You could use the WC water in the hydroponics system.

Alternatively, as Wayne has said, water recycling using plants, then filter just before re-use in tanks. I'm envisaging a very elaborate setup for water recycling, including fast growing water plants/rushes etc. I remember seeing something similar in a brief docco about recycling household grey water, where the had like a little stream/pond setup outdoors. Worth investigating.

yes, you certainly can reuse it via a planted tank, ideally with non-submerged (emerse? I can never remember the name for it) plants. They seem to use more nitrates up than the submerged ones. So duckweed, frogbit, water lettuce and the like would do a good job.

Obviously don't recycle water from jars with any signs of illness.

:)