Class of 2011

shadoh

They're looking real good, shadoh. Though, I can't say much about the cello (not a fan of cello), but the dark coloured one has a very nice colour. I like his colour, from the photo, the colour looks like a holographic foil :lol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, now I have daylight as ambient light to fill out what the light above the barracks doesn't reach, here is the true colour of the dark boy above without the flash...

1-7.jpg

MT - He isn't pink. That is orange in his fins. I will try and get a more accurate daylight photo without flash...

Just for MT Syndrome.... The "pink" boy's true colours...

6-2.jpg

This was #2 in last nights line up... A nice multicoloured cambodian

3-5.jpg

My neighbour calls this colour "Golden Pearl"

4-4.jpg

With or without flash, this metallic boy looks the same...

1-8.jpg

Thanks Ness, no old flouncy drag queens in this lot, but plenty of sequinned "showgirls"

Thanks Sarah, I'm really loving the orange too! Every day I see more coming through. Got a couple of yellows too :) Speaking of yellows, I might swap the partners of the yellow HMPKs and orange HMPKs over to see what I get :) If I can get some yellow marbles with metallic blue irids, that would be stunning :D

Love the oranges + metallic. Always been one of my favourite colours. :) Makes me want to have a few Splendens again... Or toss some girls in with my Imbellis and hope they hybridize some peaceful orange bettas with a more splendens appearance.

They're great Jarrod. Nice to see the oranges and yellows coming through. I remember with my all girl spawn, it seemed to take forever for them to colour up. Might be a topic for an entirely new thread, but, have you ever considered using "colour enhancing" foods?

Also, I'm intrigued by the colour range in this lot. From your pics it seems they are either dark bodied (black), or completely cello, with no in-between splotchy/variegated "marbles". Is this observation actually present in this spawn? If so, I'm interested in WHY? Any thoughts?

Thanks Paul. Yes, you are right the two main types are dark bodies metallics/coppers and cellos. I do have splotchy marble types in the growout tub they seem to start out as the dark bodied types. To add more to the mystery, the only ones that appear to be marbling are the females. Could this be a hormonal thing? Will the males start marbling later on? I am stumped, but enjoying sitting back and watching the show! :D

Some of the marbled females. No glamour shots in this lot. Fish were scooped out into a plastic container and were not happy. Stress stripes and fins not fully extended, but you get the idea...

5-2.jpg

Round container distorting the shape...

2-9.jpg

8-1.jpg

1-9.jpg

7-1.jpg

Looking at the ventrals on the fish in the 1st photo, looks like it could be a male.... hmm.....

Going to have to stop showing the recently jarred females their male neighbours. All the jarred girls are full of eggs. I was doing the late night/before bed feeds and noticed one of the juvie girls looking listless almost floating near the top of the barracks. She saw me and was startled and swam to the back of the barracks. the sudden movement made her release some eggs. It must have felt a relief, as she is acting a little more normally now...

1-3.jpg

3-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

She does look as full as a Red Rocket. I was more worried that she would turn out like your Orchid "Popcorn Bettas"

If it is the water, it must be something recently added, as Busman and I are on a different water supply. Must be Busmans super water conditioner with added steroids... Never happened before I started using it *lol*

• 2 weeks later...

Just jarred up 2 new males. One has a little damage to his anal fin. It will heal. The exciting part is that they seem to have teal irids over a black base, black fins with a gold/yellow wash through them :D I'll wait a couple of days to let them settle in, learn to flare and destress and show their true colour...