Just my luck...

luv_my_fish

So I caught my Black Orchid CT male and my Opaque HMPK girl 'spawning' the other day. I was so excited thinking "This is it! The start of my Panda CTPK line!", but as I was watching them, I noticed the female was releasing eggs without being squeezed, and when the male tried to wrap her, he didn't do it properly and she STILL released eggs. They both picked all the eggs up and put them in the nest, but deep down I knew they weren't fertilised.

I am going to give it a few more days incase I see tails or bobbers, but I'm pretty sure I won't.

I will definately try this pair again in about a week...hopefully they will get it right that time!

IS it unusual for something like this to happen? I would say it was the males first time..

It usually happens with their first time more often than not. Sometimes the female is so full of eggs that the male can't wrap her properly, sometimes the female is so eager, she drops her bundle before the male can either wrap her or wrap her properly.

Looking back at current spawn logs there is a lot of it happening lately.

All I can say it that is isn't an unusual occurrence and to try them again in a week or two. their are a proven pair regardless of the fact that they didn't get their technique right. Sooner or later they will get it together :)

3 out of 4 spawns that I have do that.

The only successful one was because it wasnt the male's first time and I don't think it was the female's first time either. They both went wrap straight away without practice wrap.

Edited by kertaz

Please follow through with this thread. :-)

My orchids spawned for hours. I only saw two wraps done correctly, the rest was as you said. I have had a few hatch but not many. I am interested in trying to figure out if the male needs to be stunned for him to release sperm and is each wrap the only opportunity the egg has of being fertilized????

So many questions. :-)

Busman - Oh don't you worry...I will! :D

I'm going to condition them up again and try again. I was soooooo excited when I saw them trying to wrap! I don't know how long they were at it before I caught them, but after about 30min I lost interest because it was actually heartbreaking to see all those eggs, and such a pair spawning...wasted!

You raise good questions there Paul! I was thinking/hoping the exact same hehe.

Today is when I should be expecting to see tails, and believe me I check, but deep deep down I know there won't be any :((

Thanks Les, but I'll stick with this girl. There was no problem with the pair that I used except maybe the male was inexperienced? Hopefully this time around he will know what he is doing. I am conditioning them both up again and will try in a few days, that will make it about a week since the first try. BTW, there was no damage done to either parties :applaud:

I checked again today and thought I could see a tail, but it was a peice of the plant you gave me Les...It got stuck in the bubblenest and made it look like a tail <_<:giggle:

Safe to say...no fry

*UPDATE*

I have NO idea what this pair are doing!!!

They are going for round 2 right now, but they STILL aren't doing it right!!!

The male seems to be 'sperminating' her WITHOUT wrapping, and she STILL gets stunned, but doesn't release eggs?

ARGH!!!!! :censor:

I have a video of them, but it isn't letting me upload?

I really want this pair to successfully spawn!!!!!!!! Come on guys! Get it right!!!!!!!!

EDIT - I just checked on them again (for the zillionth time lol) and she sometimes releases eggs now, but it's hard to tell if he is wrapping her properly?

Ok, here is the video...

At about 25 seconds is when it all happens.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/missigfunk/?action=view&current=MVI_0975.mp4

The good news is, there are still eggs in the nest, so maybe...just maybe they are fertilised!!!

Razzi - She was pretty full of eggs. Last time they tried to spawn, she kept dropping them without a wrap because she was either too eager, or too full lol

WOW I have never seen so much milt relised like that

OK I have two pairs of the white PKs from the same source as you and one of the female from that wouldnt wrap with the male and they would do it side by side and she went paralized as well but I didnt get any fertile eggs out of it but the other pair will wrap, I havent tried the dodgy pair again I thought mine where just freeks but now I dont feel so bad LOL

Cheers

Les