Jarring Makes All The Difference!

shadoh

Jarred up another 6 today. I'm only jarring for size, not aggression at the moment. This has been a very slow growing spawn, but they do seem to have a dramatic spurt of growth once jarred. The biggest is still only half the size of a normal betta.

How many do you think you have in this spawn Jarrod?

More fry = less space for each fish = fewer jarred at early stages = slower to sprout/grow. Just when I look at the fry still in my grow out, and compare them to the earliest jarred fry there's a MASSIVE difference in size. You'd think the whole spawn is slow growing, but, only the ones not given their own space are slow growing (ie the majority of the spawn).

@busman, not such a bonus when you're expecting to be able to sell some females and find them all to be males. Then to pick out females from the tub and say...nope, male... nope, male... Male again... Another male... Yet another male. It was a struggle to pick out 10 girls out of close to 100 fish!

Had to duck into the spawn log for numbers (see the importance of keeping spawn logs up to date people?) I had 58 in this spawn. I have moved them twice at different stages of their growth. From their 25lt spawn tank, to a 40lt tank and currently a 65lt plastic tub. Don't know how accurate it is, but I put part of the blame of their slow growth on them having SBD early on in their development. They came good after a month, but during that time there was a complete standstill growthwise. There could have been other factors involved as you have mentioned above. This is purely speculation on my part. This seems to be backed up with my current much smaller opaque spawn with SBD. I do have to say though that given the extra space, the rungs of the spawn are catching up to the others in size.

I feel your pain with the small female population of your current spawn Paul. I remember when reading your spawn log of your all female spawn wishing I could achieve the complete opposite - an all male spawn... They do say be careful what you wish for... My yellow marble HMPK spawn only had 6 females in total. Sold most early on, thinking there would be more in the growout tank only to discover one by one they declared their maleness and now have no females left.

I think my new ideal spawn ratio would be 60/40 male/female...

*runts not rungs...

I'd be guessing that there's between 20 - 25 left over. Due to my getting busy with other things, and the tank being heavily overstocked, these girls have now passed their prime. Nipped fins, missing scales, various scars and maybe some low grade skin issues mean they're now not particularly sellable. In addition, they're more or less VTs (maybe deltas) and the shop has enough female VTs, and were after "deltas".

Sadly, the other issue with them is that because they are non-red they aren't as "pretty or colourful" as other bettas. They hence don't sell as quickly to the average customer. There's one shop that still has my girls in stock after more than 4months in the tank. Oh well. I think they're pretty. The orange ones still look beautiful!

So does that mean red is very popular? :blink:

I might be able to experiment with this 'jarring' techs as well as my current fry is reaching 2-2.5cm in size. I'll wait 'til they're the same size as yours, 3cm, before jarring them up :)

Edited by kertaz

Shadoh, might I ask; that 3cm when they're jarred; is it from head to caudal peduncle, or to the end of the tail?

Because some of my fry is actually 2.5cm, measured from head to caudal peduncle, but since they're half moon, their tails are pretty large; so 3cm with the whole caudal tail. I'd like to make a comparison like this as well; and might hijack update this thread as well! :lol:

Thanks

Felix, that's 3cm from head to tip of tail. I don't usually jar this early, but seeing I had quite a few spaces available in the barracks, I thought I'd fill them up :)

As for posting your photos, it isn't hijacking, as you are sticking to the subject. Post away, I say! I'll happily ooh and ahh over any photo posted and I have been practicing! :D

Seriously though, I'd love to see if someone has the same results...

Okay, thanks Jarrod. Since yours is plakat, so 3 cm including the tail would be around 2.7cm from head to caudal peduncle? But yours look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay bigger, even though yours is about 2.7cm and mine is about 2.5 cm. :lol:

The trouble with jarring now is to keep them warm. I was hoping that the season would warm up when I jar them, but apparently the night is still mostly cool. <_<

So how's the best jarring method? Scoop them up and put them into the jar? Do I need to float the jar for a while before taking it out from grow out tank? If so, how long?

I'm really excited on jarring them, I'm waiting for the beanie cases to arrive. After I start jarring, there will be no day without a water change :lol:

I might need to start buying slaves..

I jar them using the water in the spawn tank. That way there is no initial shock. With the gradual trickle of water in the barracks, the fry get a slow water change.

As for size, I don't sit there with a ruler and measure the fry. I just jar up the biggest. Next time I take a photo, I will put a ruler up against a jar so you can see an accurate representation of size...

Lol. I sit there and use ruler. I swear I did not hit my head :lol: Freaking difficult to measure them because they're facing me and not facing the side... <_<

Anyway, I will figure out something to keep them warm. But do I need to leave them in the growout tank so that they can see their siblings like one last time before they're separated?

Thanks a lot.

I do love jarring the big 'uns early and watching them bloom - I even stole some of razzis little girls when they were tiny tiny (he had heaps of 'em) and mine all developed really quickly after they were placed on a highly circulated sorority.

GIH?

Territorial result?

Water quality?

or the work of the Almighty?

I did note that all my males really bloomed when they learnt to flare too... a combination of jarring and growing stronger with exercise.

she says.

sitting down at work.

havent moved all day.

need to find a mirror and flare at myself.

-ness

Okay. I took 4 pics out of the 7 I initially jarred. These 4 are my favourites now..

On the day, they're jarred:

Jar03.jpg

After 2 days of jarred:

3-01.jpg

3-02.jpg

His colour becomes lighter, not darker, does that mean he's not happy? :confused:

More to come soon..

He's definitely displaying himself better and his caudal extensions have grown, so his caudal spread is better :D

I think it is just the way the light caught the metallics of his scales. Does he look lighter to the eye as well?

I'm in love with your spawn. Such amazing blues and coppers :)

You can also see that his masking has intensified...

Thanks Jarrod.

I can't actually remember what he looked like on the day he was jarred, so that photo is my only point of reference to go to. Then again, they were taken at different lighting conditions (which is pretty unfair <_< )

But at least he learnt how to flare properly :lol: He's my favourite in terms of display behaviour.

This one is the second one - my favourite in terms of colouration: (hasn't learn how to flare properly yet though)

I feel this one has actually grown since jarred.

On the jarring day:

Jar02.jpg

2 days after jarring:

2-03.jpg

2-02.jpg

Also; on the jarring day: - he was flaring on the day of jarring, but not flaring when I took his pic today..

Jar07.jpg

2 days after jarring:

7-03.jpg

Him getting frustrated (Sorry but gotta click the link on this one, over 5 pics)

One more to come..

Edited by kertaz

Whenever I see the royal blue pic, I keep thinking he's plakad <_<

Finally, the last one that I took pics of, I think this one's a female.. probably the one that has most subtle changes?

Jar05.jpg

2 days after:

5-02.jpg

5-03.jpg

So I guess.. jarring really -DOES- something! :lol:

Also, I think pic can't really show the beauty of metallic, as they shine and glitter when they're swimming..

By the way, Jarrod. What is this 'masking' for the blue that you were talking about? Sorry if it sounds dumb, but I'm a bit unsure about the masking term :confused:

Edited by kertaz