Sign in to follow this  
deano81

Bulldawg X Chicka

]Well i have some nice HM males and females from Melbournebettas that I have purchased, 7 to be exact:-) So i decided to place Bulldawg and Chicka into the spawn tank. If you are asking why well im not really a breeder thats loolking for show quality fish orknow much about form or to be honest other than the basic colouring of betta i dont know much. However your input is definately not taken in a bad manner. Feel free to comment on the pair i have put together be positive or negative and it will be taken on board as a learning tool for myself.

Well Bulldawg(BD) was put into the spawn tank on the 20/09/11. After a day for himself to settle down with a tiny hint of a a bubble nest. Well actually just a rather large single bubble under the IAL. I placed the female into the spawn tank with my homemade chimney. Both were conditioned with frozen foods and live worms.

Then on the 30th i seen that they were showing intrest in each other and also the bubble nest had progressed into a reasonable sized one i released the female. With just the usual courtship happening and no real damage i went out that night. When i checked the tank the next afternoon i noticed the female was hiding in the far corner and male was under the nest tending to the nest with intent. I took a torch and shone it under the bubble nest and all i could see was white little pearls. Yippie we have eggs.

So i removed Chicka and BD went to work to keep the eggs in the nest and looked after them very well. Neither one of them had a single scratch on them. Anyway sunday evening all the eggs hatched and found about 40 or so little critters hanging around. Over the next few days they became free swiming and then a short while later i started them on MW and have been feeding them not too much twice a day. I have not noticed a lot of waste food on the floor and they seem to have nice white bellies so i know the food is getting eaten. Well its now coming up to 2 weeks of age and up to now i have only lost 4 . And the four that i have lost have been the ones that are about only half the size of the others and looked like they were having trouble just swimming. So things are going quite well. I will be starting them on BBS shortly but i will be very carefull with this as i know it can cause SBD if over feeding occurs.

Anyway i am going to try to attach some pics. Sorry for the bad quality but they were taken on my Iphone so not the best.

Any advise as to what to do from here is much appreciated people.

Thanks

Deano

Bulldawg

Bulldagw.jpg

Chicka

Chicka.jpg

Spawn tank

spawntanksetup.jpg

Just hatched

Justhoursold.jpg

Just one week old

justoveraweekold.jpg

Now i have played around with the for about an hour and think i have figured out how to post pics. That was even after i read the FAQ's section. My IT ability Turn it off then on:-D

Cheers

Deano

Edited by deano

They are a good pair, well matched similar colours always go well! Congrats on the spawn and fry :D

Edited by Neffy

thanks Neffy and LMF, his name was give to him by Nessa from "Melbournebettas" All the fish are from her.

I will now try n post the rest of the fish pics too.

They look great Deano. You have started breeding with exceptional stock. Your approach here is fine... The preparation is what was needed and you've done that very well. The details about the technicalities of the fish that your breeding becomes insignificant. They are a very nicely matched sibling pair, but don't expect all the fry to turn out just like the parents colour wise.

Advice... Don't know that you need any. You seem to be progressing like a pro! Well done.

Thanks for those words Paul appreciate it.

Well a quick update, gave the tank its first clean out and also a water change that came along with that. Only about 30% i reacon. Also started the sponge filter today just slowly. The fry are coming along very well. Most are about average size about 4 are very small about only half of what they should be and found three that are at the 4 week stage and its only now 2 weeks. Also i dont know if i am seeing it correctly but some are very pale in colour(transparent) think that how you spell it, while others are extremely dark in colour.

Alos since yesterday they have been on BBS and the hatch rate is very good with just a light and airstone. Should i be still feeding MW at this stage as there are a few runts?

Any words of wisdome please? :-)

Cheers

At this stage majority BBS is what you end up feeding as the MW or VEs just don't seem enough or adequately nutritious. Always nice to have a mix of food, so, mix it up a little and try have some meals MW or VEs but predominantly BBS will do it.

The variation in colour is normal and represents dark body vs light bodied (Cambodian) fish.

Your going great! .......

...... But........

It's been two whole days and you still haven't posted more pics!!! Hahaha!

Well done Deano Cant wait to see this spawn progress and they are a lovly pair

Cheers

Les

A quick update, spawn is doing well most of the runts have naturally been taken care of by mother nature. Can see about 25 or so fry swimming around. Most average size for 3 weeks. But about 3 fish are well above the growth rate. These 3 are about 5 weeks size. Don't know what's happening with them. I'll post pics as soon as I can take descent ones.

They have a mixed diet of MW and. BBS.

Does anyone know where to get VE from?

Thanks guys

Try PM to LMF as She may be able to start you a culture

Cheers

les

Wow - They've really come along - 3 weeks now!

Great work - bulldawg ALWAYS had plenty of attitude and a large bubble nest, so not surprising this pairing worked so quickly.

Genetically - you probably know as much as I do..... i'm still a total beginner here.

There's metallic Blue (in his case; royal or steel) hers is steel (i think) marble, and extended red somewhere in the mix - he's showing a band and patches of wash

And Cello.... ah... .Cello

Some love it, some hate it.

So there'll be some junk genetics in the mix -as with every spawn- some things that are stained gravel muck with a cello base - which I noticed also had lesser spread in the caudal and poorer form.... interesting.

And you SHOuLD get some interesting colours out of the marbles - and probably some butterflies too.

40% of that spawn were butterfly.... including Bulldawg... until he whitened out.

Best of luck!

I tend to keep the kids on MW for ages - as soon as they can eat BBS - get them on that - and try Grindals too... I even dice up live bloodworm when i can get it.

variety is the key - but bbs seems to be the key ingredient.

Keep the water changes up - and clean up that muck on the floor with a knitting needle/chopstick with an airline taped to it... it really gently vacuums the floor so the junk dosen't corrupt your water quality.

If you siphon into a clear container, you can wait for it to settle and pick up any strays that might get sucked up.

Water quality is crucial at this stage (: You can start changes about now too- really gently with the airhose.

-n

ok as promised here they are at 3 weeks. Plenty of different colours and i think i see a Cello and a Butterfuly? wht do ya think?

tank has been cleaned twice now. Water has been changed 50%. How often should i be doing water changes? daily or weekly? Im gonna try and clean it 3 times a week if i can. There forre it might be 3 times a week for water changes at this stage.

3w.jpg

3wcello.jpg

3w4.jpg

3w3.jpg

3w2.jpg

Waterchange three times a week sounds good. I try to do a little everyday at their age, but I can be a bit ott.

Sign in to follow this