AquaOne Barracks

KillieOrCory

Hi all,

I am seriously considering getting myself one of the AquaOne Barrack units to raise my killifish fry through their first couple of months. The idea filtered small containers to keep all the various species plus fish that hatch a week apart appeals to me.

I know the water trickles out through a hole, if I plug that hole with a coarse foam would the unit still work in your opinion?

I like the idea of 3 rows of total 24 tanks! That will really increase my out put and allow me to concentrate on killies that give me handful of fry at a time.

Your opinions most welcome.

Edited by KillieOrCory

I can't see why you can't use coarse foam. You may have to reduce the flow coming out of the taps, as they will drain a little slower. I clip a piece of plastic embroidery canvas over the outlet holes of mine if I think a fry is small enough to swim through...

I have sponge blocks in a HOB filter that puts about 300 litres per hour though it - so the water flow from a drip system shouldn't really be a problem - mabye if the sponge is attached as a block covering the hole no fry will get out and the sponge won't be squashed up inside the hole and reduce water flow.... make sure you have some fly screen or something to cover the tanks to stop the jumpers.....

I have just tried out stocking over the tube that goes through the hole in the cube. Half work ok but clog easily and the other half blocked up so badly from the get-go the cubes flooded and because I have plastic canvas on top 2 of my bettas drowned.

I havent thought of using filter sponge...might have to try it too