Dark Cloud Hanging Over Fishroom

shadoh

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

The run of bad luck continues...

I can handle 12 pairs of betta not spawning for 8 months. I can handle the only spawn I have had during that time dying due to a heater malfunction (out of my hands - what can I do?) I get frustrated that I cannot get a second generation of ANY of my successful spawns to breed, but can deal with that. But when 5 pairs of my prized breeders get sick and start dying off, it has really gutted me.

My 10 bay display barracks is the only tank to have the prized place of living in the main house and contains my 5 most valued pairs. It has shared water, so I guess a mass outbreak of something was always a possibility. Last week, they all came down with white spot. Easy enough to treat - up the heat, add a little salt and wait for things to take care of themselves. The white spot seemed to be improving - as of today, all but 2 fish are clear of it. The only problem being that they were all still clampy and sluggish. No signs of velvet or anything else. All eating fine though. I did a water test yesterday - pH - 7.2, Ammonia - 0, Nitrates - 0, Nitrites - 0, Temp 32.

I got up this morning and find 3 dead fish, 1 that looks like it is on the way out, 1 with fin melt, 2 still with white spot and looks like it is getting worse and 3 fish that appear happy and healthy. I immediately did a water test and it is the same as yesterday. I am currently tearing out my hair in frustration. I have isolated the 3 "healthy" looking ones and will monitor them for the next week or 2 for signs of illness. As for the others, heat and salt for the white spot and TC for the rot.

Now you know why I got out of bettas.

These inbred, fancy bred bloody things are weaker than @$#!. My discus are less work. My marine tank is less work than my Bettas ever were and I've never had them all bloody drop dead on me for no apparent reason (coral not included.. lol). Sorry, but there's a dose of the painful truth. /rant over

Anyway, I'd hit them with a full treatment of waterlife protozoan. Keep it on hand at all times. Treat the fish the second you see clampy fins. (I heart waterlife meds).

*Adds waterlife meds to neverending list of betta expenses*

Thanks Yan...

If they aren't dropping like flies, they are being finicky. It's depressing when you make so many plans to start a line of your own, breed a pair and can't get their offspring to breed. It's even more depressing when other people who have offspring from the same spawn have no problem breeding them. I had big plans to show my fish this year. At this rate, I'll only be left with non breeding tail chewers or will have finally thrown in the towel and walked away from bettas all together.

So sorry to hear it. I'm having shite luck with my bettas at the moment as well. Had an outbreak of ich in my new sorority and lost half my females before I picked up on what it was. Then lost two of my favourite old timers.

Even when they are housed in cycled, well-maintained tanks I swear splendens are prone to just randomly keeling over.

I can vouch for Waterlife Protozin. One of my females (a someone girl so worth saving) was covered in white spots. Three days of treatment in and nearly all the spots have gone and I haven't lost any further females. I would definitely recommend it. I just have to dose again on the 6th day and then treatment is over.

Hope your guys pull through. Don't give up on splendens. Your females are two of my fish room favourites. You have bred some beautiful fish, and I hope you continue to do so in the future.

Thats a whole heep of #@% your dealing with there Jarrod, but you know it will improve even if I dont have any fish to show when the show is on Ill buy a couple just to chuck up on the show bench.

I have some DT PK x CT that are comming along nicly so there will be some available for your CTPK venture if you like they all have fantastic dorsels and improved caurdels and are showing comb tail at the moment with three CT to date Ill send pics when I have them all sorted and bring in the other half of the spawn thats been raised in the tubs outside.

Cheers

Les

Ps I lose quite a lot but take the aproch, Thats fish for ya ungratfull B#St###S