My new Betta Tank

Xsilver368

Hi All,

I have on betta male called Ernie, I have recently moved him into a 10 litre tank with a filter and he is alot happier, i was just wondering if you can get a heater for that size tank and if you can what do you look for? I currently have a heating mat under the tank and it's at about 23 degrees but i would like to get a heater to go in the tank if possible, I was also thinking about getting him a couple of neon tetras as friends I was thinking 3 but wanted to check that I would have enough room first :-) any help would be appreciated.

Marina do a compact heater called the Marina C10, I think, designed for small Betta tanks of around 10 litres. It is only about 10cm an I find it is perfect for my 10L betta box.

Edit: A bonus is that the light makes it look like a Cylon.

Edited by Sha

At the moment I have 3 black widow tetras and 2 peppered corydoras in my 90L tank along with my betta. I've been really lucky that he's such a laid back little dude, always curious about everything that goes on around him.

On the rare occasion he'll see his reflection in the tank glass and he'll flare his gills for a second or two but other than that, he gets along really well with the other fish. He'll playfully dash along with the tetras occasionally, and I've seen him swim alongside the corydoras just to see what they're digging around for. His behaviour is one of curiosity, rather than aggression that the bettas are famous for. I've also seen him swim up the current created by the filter just for fun along with either the tetras or the corydoras.

So my particular experience with this particular betta has been really good, I can see that he enjoys the company after spending all his life alone in a tiny jar at the LFS.

I'm very aware that other bettas may not be so easy to get along with though.

They are perfectly fine living solitary lives. If you want to get him some tankmates I'd look at upgrading to a bigger tank. Most other fish you could (note; doesn't mean you should! :P) add to a tank that size are small fin-nipper types.

What size tank would you recommend Yan? I went into a pet shop today and they had male guppies in with a betta do they get along okay in anyones experiances? I will add that they did not look happy or relaxed and were somewhat crammed for space! I am looking to learn as much as I can as I don't know alot, i want to do the right thing now to stop accidents/problems happening in the future.