Nasty Girls

mumofthehoarde

WOW !! how nasty can females get...and I am talking about the fish variety..

I have a sorority tank with 3 girls in it..They arent the toughest girls that is why they arent in the big girl's tank.

I needed to move two females out of spawn tanks (not having much luck with spawning right now but that is another thread)so I decided to put them in with these girls to re-coop. I thought seeing as the girls are very passive they wouldnt hassle out these new inmates. I was right on that fact..

But putting the two spawn girls together.....BIG MISTAKE..

The two that have come from spawn tanks are fighting terribily. Flaring..biting..ripping each other apart. So I raced and grabbed iso tanks..and they are still trying to kill each other through the plastic walls...I have never seen girls behave this badly.

Yea girls can be killers just like boys =( they might be seeing each other as threats more so since they are both comming from the spawn tank and have been in contact with a male, the others not being pumped up on breeding mode arnt threats.

Yeah they can be as nasty as the males when they really get stuck into it. I have to add a female to one of my sororities soon, and I'm hoping there's enough plant cover in there that I can plonk her in and no one will notice.

Currently, I have a female and a male plakat living in a divided tank. One time during a water change they got in together and he thought he might get lucky.

Boy was he wrong.

She kicked his butt all over the place, and now if they get in together (she jumps over on occasion), he just meekly follows her around the tank.

Edited by Wild Nut

Hey MOTH! Missed this thread. Just read it now. The sparring may have been just what the girls needed to get spawning. You put two girls that were preparing for courtship in the same tank together. With their hormones raging, there was only one outlet... Fight with the competition. You may have had an opportunity to test some theories of encouraging spawning, but I guess it's a bit late now. Anyway, good luck reestablishing the top B!

My girls were well and truely ready ..one even tried to make the bubble nest herself....My guys on the other hand make awesome nests in their tanks but move to the spawn tank and turn all "ooo yuck a girl fish" on me.

most of my girls are barred up and busting...just cant get the boys on the right track.