My Breeding Adventure

Shaun85

Well i thought i would share my breeding adventure lol as i am bound to have some questions in future.

Started off with purchased of tank from Roc and sanded it back before varnishing it to add some color. Then came purchase of over $200 worth of driftwood to please the bristlenose and some caves. I am a bit uncertain about the caves at the moment due to the large open in the front so i may be replacing them with more appropriate premises :P .

I have just finished cycling it for over a week and added my black widows out of my community tank for a further week of cycling. If all goes to plan then i will add my female and male albino bristlenose. At this stage I am trying to find another male and female of breeding age from other people to create my colony.

I also got a female peppermint bristlenose today however she will be staying in my community tank as in future i plan on trying to breed peppermints as well once my experience is up.

This is how tank looked before tannins leached into water. Currently running an Aqua one 1000 canister filter and another one which i am not sure what it is as Roc gave to me with tank aswell.

Have had to add some coral sand to bring my ph up a bit aswell as when last checked i was sitting about 6.3

15092011286.jpg

15092011287.jpg

Edited by Shaun85

some nice looking pieces of wood.

I never had any luck with large caves with bristlenose and found the slate caves best and generally a good price.

You could try hot gluing or silicone some small rocks or something to reduce the entrance size a little But you may find they work as they are.

If you want to reduce/remove the tannings seachem purigen in the filter works well the natural process of waiting can take a while

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Well i travelled 4hrs about a fortnight ago and got me a nice divided grow out tank which came with some filters and heaters aswell as a nice male albino longfin and things appeared to be going well with regular water changes.

I got 4 albino short fin females this afternoon which brings my count up to 5 females and 2 females however before adding them i thought i would double check my water perimeters and to my astoundment my ammonia reading was like 10ppm i nearly died. I filled the tank up full as it was only about 1/4 full and added prime and double dose of sea chem stability. Unfortunately i had missed alot of their poo in the gravel which i am guessing has caused the spike.

So as a result I have removed the gravel for easier cleaning and added my new breeding caves. Fingers crossed my ammonia will drop down over next couple of days.

The first set back of many but i am sure they will be breeding soon as one of my males has been in his cave fanning away hoping for a female.

• 3 weeks later...

Well things have worked out well for me,

found 6 fry in the tank this morning and got excited, then noticed the male out of the cave so tipped it up side down in my fry saver and wllahhhhhh out come more babies!

sorry for crap pic here is my first spawn, and male is already in another cave with the female.

IMG_20111104_171626-1.jpg

funny thing is when i found them i was going out there to take photos of my bn to sell them lol

Edited by Shaun85