How many do you have?

SiameseFightingFist

I was thinking - male Bettas are solitary fish, you do not put two in a tank together. They're not like other species of fish where if you are an enthusiast where you can have as many as you like, limited only by the size of your tank.

How many male Bettas do you have though? As enthusiasts I might've thought many of you have more than one but do you have a separate tank for each of them? Does that mean a separate filter and heating system for each tank?

I have 2 tanks that are divded into 4 at the front and have a filter and a heater at the back. I have 4 CT males in one of those, and 1 HM male in the other. The other 3 spots in the second are taken up by 5 months olds that I am considering keeping. I have another CT male in a spawn tank. The rest of the 5 month olds are floating around in 2L plastic bottles. I have 8 in my grow out tank with what is left of their sisters and another 4 or so floating around my sorority tank.

Wow that sounds like quite an operation you've got there.

I've just bought a 90L and a 50L so I guess that leaves me the choice of only 2 males, or 1 male in the 50L and a whole bunch of females in to 90L. I was concerned as to the power costs though, I don't want to set up the 90L with a heater and everything and then at the end of the quarter I get a shocking bill, by which time I'd be pretty much committed to the fish in the tank already....

Edited by SiameseFightingFist

Hi SFF

I have 11 Males and 14 Females one tank of fry and one tank of eggs (Just spawnd) All males are housed sepratly and some females are as well I only have four females that I let swim together in the serority tank. the barraks can hold twenty in dividuals and ther are two four foot tanks used as bain mari barracks for jarring fry to start of with but all breeding males are kepted in 1 foot tanks it suits me and my styl of keeping Betta

I hope this helps

Cheers

Les

I currently have 11 males, 30 females, 2 tanks of fry and 24 juvies either ready for sale or growing out in barracks.

My breeding pairs are set up in either divided tanks or a big 10 bay barracks. I have a 4' tank set up as a sorority tank that holds a few females from each of my spawns.

You can have a look at my setups here: http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12270&st=0

If that dont scare you, nothing will. Shadohs setup is a bit extreme. Some would say he's crazy even.

I myself have a few fish, all males in divided tanks or Aqua one barracks and non breeding females in community tank.

I try not to think about the power bill. When it comes in I blame the wife and kids for using the reverse cycle air con. I didn't say it worked, but I still try. Lol.

:-)

I have:

21 Tanks dedicated Betta tanks & 2 Aquaone Barracks and currently building a new barracks. (my husband has his fish in other tanks)

37 Males

25 Females (I think...that sorority tank is heavily plants and I lost count)

2 tanks of Kermadum's juvies almost ready for jarring.

1 tank of just hatched fry

umm I think that is a full roll call......My fish room

If electricity costs 27c per kilowatt all these tanks will cost me $1076 in electricity for the year.

Edited by mumofthehorde

I have 30 individual tanks and tubs set-up for my bettas (both splendens and wilds). On top of this, I also have a goldfish tank and some guppies living in a plastic tub.

I intend on building 2 sets of barracks, which will hold 13 of my males, in the next couple of weeks as my bedroom is starting to resemble an aquarium and I can't be bothered maintaining so many small tanks.

Water wise, I'm not doing too badly, but our most recent electricity bill was $600 as being in Melbourne I have to have heaters in all my tanks.

All up I have around 50 bettas. However, I am thinking of getting into breeding so I think I'm going to need a lot more tubs :lol:

I think its the diversity that helps us feed of each others diferences VIVA LA DIFERANCE I dont realy get big elec bills and I have next to nothing on food as its all live and grown hear at home and water is from a bore so dont have bills there I think Im the luky one

Cheers

les

You're right, obviously they all need divided housing, filtration and heating, and as with most of us, I've tried variations of everything:

terrestrial heat-mats under small glass tanks *fluctuating heat = rot*

larger tanks divided with barriers *jumpers, gaps, failing dividers = shredded fins / shared water = shared disease*

small scale barracks (custom built) *either with useless flow or ineffective filtration*

pre-fab barracks (noisy pumps, limited size housing)

The only real answer is to deck the whole house out with a barracks system that runs off the same pump/sump/heat/filtration to house over 3000 fish, so you never ever have to give them away.

......it's all i can think of.

In the meantime I have 10 breeding males, 30 females in the sorority and somehow have them all in 2x 3 ft tanks at the moment... it's not pretty, but it works.

custom barracks on their way.

-Ness

I have 28; 13 males and 15 females. I've still got a couple more coming :blush:

I keep mine in 4 tanks that have been divided into 4 bay barracks, the ladies live in a planted sorority.

My bettas live in the same room as all my snakes, it's already fairly warm and humid in there from all the reptile heating equipment.

It's an ideal set up for me really :D

I'll post pictures of the tanks once everyone has settled in to their new digs.

I have two, both in the same tank, they get along and its a big tank (4 feet) I wouldn't risk moving them just yet because There's some wierd bug in pretty much all my other tanks that killed my 15-20 males off over a few months. I also had around 30-40 females but I lost most during 2 heater failures of 3 days in teh middle of winter, frozen then boiled :(

Thanks for all your replies, wow. I am blown away by how many bettas some of you have, even though they're solitary fish.

shadoh - thanks for your youtube clip, that must take some serious logistical and time management skill to manage that set up. mumofthehorde too, holy crap!

Thanks to the replies from some of you for advice about electricity bills too, it's given me a rough idea of what to expect.

I have two, both in the same tank, they get along and its a big tank (4 feet)

How do you keep them apart?

I'm seeing a few posts here of members who have lost a number of their bettas. I have a fear of coming home from work one day to find that the filter pump or the heater has broken down and all my fish are dying or dead. I've started off with a main tank and another emergency tank in case the main one breaks down, and I've ordered a cheapie heater from eBay to use as an emergency heater in case my main one breaks down. Don't know how much good it will do though if things break down while I'm not around.

If either heater, filter, or both breaks down, as long as your Betta was healthy, and your water is disease free, he'll be able to survive for a few days or even weeks for you to get new one.

Looking at a lot of LFS, why do you think they can survive in a jar until they're sold? That's how hardy they are.

I'm not sure about the electricity bills one though. Last year at the same time, I ran only 2 tanks and this year, I ran 7-8 tanks and my electricity usage was increased only by 0.4-0.5 kW. Maybe unconsciously, I'm using less of other electrical equipments because I was too busy with more tanks :lol: