Electric Yellow changing sex?

mumofthehoarde

I have 6 electric yellows in a 3' tank. at a guess they are about 7-8cm long.

We keep reading how they breed almost as easy as convicts but dont seem to have any luck.

Now seeing as I am a big fish expert...NOT...my opinion is they are all boys (they have lots of black on their fins)but like I would have a clue....

I was telling the LFS guy about them and he reckons if I take 4 out, leaving 2 in..one will change sex and they will form a part and breed..

Is this guy telling porky pies???????

Some fish do actually change sex - like the clown fish but not electric yellows or any Malawi cichlids that I know of.... tell this guy to try the same experiment on himself and see if it works :P

The black colour on the fins is no guarantee of being able to tell the gender of the electric yellows.... the only true way is to find one with eggs in its mouth - that will almost certainly be the female.... and the one that lays the eggs is definitely the female :) Experienced fish keepers can vent the fish and tell the gender as well by the shape of the vent.....

btw.... Malawi cichlids are harem breeders - usually one male to many females is the way they do their thing - they do not pair up like the American cichlids do....

Edited by fishbites