Not Again

Hot or Not?

What do you think guys?

I chose them purely for aesthetics. The colours are fantastic I think. I'm no Betta expert, but I think both their caudals are a bit on the long side? The female is not quite HM in the tail (judging by photo anyway).

I would appreciate some of the more experienced eyes to give me a sentencing indication an idea about what their pros/cons are.

Thanks ;)

fwbettashm1315846708.jpg

2040232750102256410S500x500Q85.jpg

DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

Wow - nice choices!

I'm assuming you have won these two on aquabid, as it's only fair to crit. fish that you actually own (and technically we're supposed to get permission from the breeder for the use of the photo)

Technicalities asside, let's get technical (?)

Overall, he’s a nice fish – there’s something comic abouthis geometry, but it might have something to do with the saturated photo(aquastar71 perchance?)

His body will be quite dark I imagine, not quite thearmadillo/dragon scaling of the fish in the background.

Bodywise he’s very tidy, but something tells me he is a bitsmall – that’s okay – he’ll grow out eventually.

That dorsal is really unusual towards the back as it seemsto pair off with some interesting ray distribution – but in essence it’s even,I like it…. Also makes for some eye catching colouration.

His Caudal is technically Over halfmoon, a touch rounded atthe edges, but incredible spread – he’ll compliment the females caudal quitewell – however I fear it’s just a touch too short – he may throw fry with shorttails.

His spread can be attributed to a good even 8/16(?) raybranching.

The anal is incredibly full, with nice even ray branchingand not a crooked ray in sight – thrust forward it continues the U shaped curvefrom the front to the back, which is a trait I’m working on myself to help withthe appearance of a full oval. Lovely full ventrals – in the show ring you’d hope he hadblack edges (he might, can’t see the edges proper)

Colourwise he’s nearly perfect, you’d want a cleaner redtowards the front of both the anal and the dorsal….. I wonder if the kids herecould indicate which class he’d go in?

As for madam, she ahs a very strong metallic/dragoncoverage, a nice tidy body shape, an incredible dorsal base and shape – VERY nice.I wouldn’t mind too much about the spread in her Caudal, she could be HM, butmight have been kept in a sorority, where the inclination to flare and exerciseisn’t as great. The anal is a touch long – so this will occur in the fryjust about guaranteed – so keep it in mind as a breeding goal that you’llselect the better anal fins, to help compliment the caudal.

I love the little spots in her dorsal – from what I understandit means she’s showing some of the wild patternation (is this right brainstrust?)

Good even ray spread in the caudal – nice even colouring onthe fins (more consistent than his)

VERY excited about these fish and if you end up spawningthem… you already have your first customer in line.

Great selection.

-Ness

The male is not bad for a multi but is a bit long in the anal fin and has red wash creeping into the butterfly band on some fins..... the black doesn't continue clearly through to the front of the anal fin and doesn't show on the ventrals at all.... the girl should throw multis if you breed them both but as to dragon scaling - likely to be patchy....

Thanks for the feedback. They were put on the plane earlier today according to the breeder (Patsayawan) - he said it was okay to use the photos too ;) I got a feeling that a bit of photoshop "artistic license" was taken, because I don't think I've ever actually seen a -freshwater- fish with such colouration.

I'm guessing that the colour bleeding into certain parts is undesirable? When they arrive at my home, I'll post some pics of them without any saturation, or other colour enhancing methods.

I haven't seen too many patchy dragon type Bettas that actually are aesthetically appealing to be honest, and given that I'm in no major hurry to start breeding, I might keep an eye out for another female HM Multi. She is a pretty little thing though, and if the spawn had consistent dragon scales it could be interesting.

Ness, I'll give you pick of the litter for these guys when they eventually get busy (even though the lotto numbers didn't pan out as expected).

It's tricky with this sort of colouration to end up with majority of fry that look like the parents - best bet for this result is really breeding solid colours.

Patsayawan is one of my absolute favouritest breeders in Thailand, so you lucked upon the guru of all things betta.

I'd spawn them together in a flash (gordon) as he's known for doing his best to establish lines that breed true colour as best he can - unlike many other breeders that just throw a pair together and kinda see what comes out.

Pat. is a bit of a stickler for detail too.... breed them breed them! Waste no time man!

Apologies for the lotto numbers, but you were given fair warning - and while you haven't yet been struck by lighting, you're unlikely to win it.

x

Hmm. I reckon even if they gave similar colours, or failing that, a similar pattern, I'd be pretty happy with things. I suppose through line breeding I could then try to pick up on what's already there. Patsayawan was pretty good on the email/service thing too. He did his best to get these guys to BKK from his town and onto the flight that was leaving yesterday, and even expects follow up once "his bettas" arrive at home.

So even if he didn't really care all that much, he at least gives the inference that he does through superior customer service. Much like myself really... where's that mirror.

Okay, so from a breeding perspective, I'm guessing that through line-breeding I can articulate the better qualities of the parents in subsequent breedings if they produce any fry that are genetically superior to their brethren. You know, I'd actually be dangerous if I knew what I was talking about...

If they get here and they're not too beaten up from the flight, I'll put the Barry White on and give the male a list of clumsy passes he can make at his "gf" in order to induce maximum spawnage.

Also, who says I don't want to be struck by lightning? I don't anticipate anything bad could happen from that.

Oh! AWESOME! :D *rubs hands together*

When I'm back in Brisbane... I'm going to get a pretty male... And about 6 pretty females to start a sorority tank in again. :D

N.A (oh, snap)

Where you at, gone quiet- we're missing you like the desserts, something something.

Did you set up the perfect match (cue early 90's music) ...?

And yes, muchlike humans, there's good n bad genes in every spawn, you'll just take your time watching 'Em grow and you'll know which ones you like best.... It's always a debate between form & colour, but the right ones make themselves known.

the boy is incredile the colours are unbelieveably gorgeous

the girls im not too mad on but if they were to spawn the fry would end up gorgeous